• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major Grail Day, Charles Schultz Peanuts Daily, 1959
1 1

32 posts in this topic

I have always been a fan of the Peanut strips when it came to reading them but not when it came to collecting them. There are so many of them and they are not cheap at all. But this piece - absloute perfection the characters and content are perfect!

congrats!

Edited by RICKYBOBBY

36 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

People may remember a little while back when Heritage had a nice group of Peanuts strip art up for auction.  There was one piece I loved and several I really liked.  Sadly the one I loved was one of the later pieces in the auction.  I put in bids on earlier pieces but didn’t pursue anything super serious.  When the one I loved came up and went hard but alas it went for more than I felt comfortable spending.  I ended up empty handed…

Fast forward to the latest Heritage auction and I was set to go after several that were in the current auction.  Unfortunately, there was nothing I loved but several I liked.  I have pretty much resolved myself to the fact that I would have to be happy with a strip I liked.  Love was just too expensive for me.  So, I sit back and wait for the auction to end so I can aggressively pursue a piece.

Then something interesting happens.  Out of the blue I get contacted by someone with a Peanuts strip they are thinking about parting with.  It was from 1959 and featured Charlie Brown, Lucy, and Snoopy.  When I saw the piece, I was shocked.  It had an amazing exchange between Charlie Brown and Lucy and the expression on Snoopy’s face in the various panels was priceless. It was a piece I absolutely loved! 

I was offered the piece at an extremely reasonable price with time payments as an option.  The person I bought it from is an incredible individual and a real hard core collector.  My plans were to get it paid off as quickly as possible but as I thought about it more, I decided to do some money shuffling and pay it off in full.  And so began the wait (which wasn’t too long).  Without further ado, I present my newly acquired Charles Schultz Peanuts Daily from 1959.  Now starts the planning to frame it.  My wife thinks I need to float the piece in the Fram so I am going to look at that path.

peaniuts1959.jpg

I'm sensing the strip might serve as a parallel between you and your wife.  ;)

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

People may remember a little while back when Heritage had a nice group of Peanuts strip art up for auction.  There was one piece I loved and several I really liked.  Sadly the one I loved was one of the later pieces in the auction.  I put in bids on earlier pieces but didn’t pursue anything super serious.  When the one I loved came up and went hard but alas it went for more than I felt comfortable spending.  I ended up empty handed…

Fast forward to the latest Heritage auction and I was set to go after several that were in the current auction.  Unfortunately, there was nothing I loved but several I liked.  I have pretty much resolved myself to the fact that I would have to be happy with a strip I liked.  Love was just too expensive for me.  So, I sit back and wait for the auction to end so I can aggressively pursue a piece.

Then something interesting happens.  Out of the blue I get contacted by someone with a Peanuts strip they are thinking about parting with.  It was from 1959 and featured Charlie Brown, Lucy, and Snoopy.  When I saw the piece, I was shocked.  It had an amazing exchange between Charlie Brown and Lucy and the expression on Snoopy’s face in the various panels was priceless. It was a piece I absolutely loved! 

I was offered the piece at an extremely reasonable price with time payments as an option.  The person I bought it from is an incredible individual and a real hard core collector.  My plans were to get it paid off as quickly as possible but as I thought about it more, I decided to do some money shuffling and pay it off in full.  And so began the wait (which wasn’t too long).  Without further ado, I present my newly acquired Charles Schultz Peanuts Daily from 1959.  Now starts the planning to frame it.  My wife thinks I need to float the piece in the Fram so I am going to look at that path.

peaniuts1959.jpg

Big congrats; I know you’ve wanted one for a while and it’s a piece ANYONE would love.  Awesome!

13 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

first off - huge congrats on this collecting goal/milestone. Now the question - are you happy with just one? or is this the start of a greater obsession?:foryou:

That is actually a very good question!  When you see these strips in person, they are just plain amazing.  The size is staggering given the small print size.  Basically take three pieces of paper and fold them in half so they are 5.5" x 8.5". Now put the three together so you have a sheet of paper 5.5" x 25.5" and that is close to the size on the image.

I am still watching a few in the HA auction but probably just watching.

3 hours ago, batman_fan said:

When you see these strips in person, they are just plain amazing.  The size is staggering given the small print size.  Basically take three pieces of paper and fold them in half so they are 5.5" x 8.5". Now put the three together so you have a sheet of paper 5.5" x 25.5" and that is close to the size on the image.

Yes, it is amazing how huge vintage dailies are.  

You can just imagine how big the Sundays are.