• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The book you DIDN'T let get away and never will...
4 4

31 posts in this topic

We all have stories of the books we let get away and regretted not going all in on an auction or walking away from a deal at a con. What are some of the books where you said "screw it" I'm getting it no matter what and still have to this day. Mine is my Avengers 4 where I had been so close on so many auctions I just snapped and overpaid (not too much) at the time to have the winning bid. It will be a book that my son will have to sell cause I won't. ?

10 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

My AF 15 that I paid 500.00 for back in the 1983, it's a strong 5.5ish grade.

They will have to bury it with my dead self.

I've told you repeatedly I will give you twice as much as you paid for it!!!!  :pullhair:

My Batman 251. My favourite Neal Adams book and BA DC issue.

7023495519_9150168996_b_d.jpg

Like the OP, I have a (high grade raw) Avengers 4, which I paid £25 for back in 1987; my most significant SA Captain America comic, and I don’t think that’ll be going anywhere soon either.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I love this term, and with your permission, will be using it to describe my personal comic collecting more often.  Perhaps a business card. 

Personally, I'm a Lowlife collector. I'd have cards printed, but no one would take one from me. :sorry:

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

SAM_2854.thumb.JPG.31a6127b807a33703361853dc6a03551.JPG

"Excuse me love, you couldn't just move that trident a little to the left could you? It's digging right into my shoulder. Thanks"

4 hours ago, comicjack said:

Got this long ago in a heated battle raw and had it graded to protect it . The one book that will be passed to the family for when i'm gone unless i can take it with me lol

p12_zpsf98739f8.jpg.6b0e90a69dc9d3f024a7419677071da8.jpg

What if the CGC 7.5 WHITE pager came up for sale again and you were in a position to buy it?  Would you sell this copy to fund the upgrade? hm

That is why I don't think I have a book that I wouldn't sell to either get my holy grail (Cap #1) or upgrade the book I'm selling.  I suppose if you have the your favorite book in the highest grade on the census (lucky you!) or the book was given to you by someone near and dear and is therefore highly sentimental to you you wouldn't need/want to get ride of it.  Sure, my 4.0 Canadian edition Cap #74 is second highest grade (of 2 on census haha) and I'm not eager to upgrade to the 8.0 since it is a little too misaligned for my liking,  BUT...I'd sell my Cap #74 if I had no other way to fund the gap of acquiring a Cap #1.

2 hours ago, GoldCap said:

Sure, my 4.0 Canadian edition Cap #74 is second highest grade (of 2 on census haha) and I'm not eager to upgrade to the 8.0 since it is a little too misaligned for my liking,  BUT...I'd sell my Cap #74 if I had no other way to fund the gap of acquiring a Cap #1.

With the corner chip? I used to own that book. Bought it from Silver Surfer and sold it to....Silver Surfer. Glad it ended up with someone who likes it so much. 

5 minutes ago, october said:

With the corner chip? I used to own that book. Bought it from Silver Surfer and sold it to....Silver Surfer. Glad it ended up with someone who likes it so much. 

Yes!  Favorite book in my collection!!

I pretty much let them ALL get away and return at a later date and pay thru the nose. It's a problem I have but in the long list of human frailties we all have simply for being human, it's kinda not that big of a deal. I mean I help old ladies across the street but just can't seem to nab that certain book at the right time. 

First one that popped in my mind is my Millie the Model #5. In the early 90s I was driving around going to junk shops in the middle of nowhere and one little place had it there, just sitting in the one glass case they had in the store and it was 10 bucks, which I thought was ridiculous and reluctantly passed on it. After leaving and driving like 10 miles I came to my senses and turned around, went back and bought it.