• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 129 goes from Blue 9.0 to Restored 8.5?
2 2

47 posts in this topic

Hello,

Thank you for reading this, I am new to these boards. Just curious my options when I resubmitted a CGC 9.0 Blue Label ASM 129 to be pressed and graded, and it came back Restored (PLOD) 8.5. Obviously its a worse case scenario in terms of the books value.

Comparing it to other copies I cannot see it (Bottom Cover Trimmed, per label), nor can my LCS Dealer. Also, the 9.0 version had Off-White to White Pages, the 8.5 came back with White Pages. I get that there can be minor inconsistency. I am waiting to hear back from the grader, but a little bummed, and wanted to hear some opinions on what choices I may have.

Thank you,

MAD!

A27A4510-7698-4C07-A6E7-DEF86F57A25E.JPG

Edited by madcircle
added photos

If you have pictures of the book inside the original unrestored case, I would recommend writing an e-mail to customer service at CGC and explaining the situation to them, showing the before and after pictures, and ask if there's anything that can be done to look at the book again. 

It should go without saying that the alleged trimming was NOT done in between, but, however unlikely, it's still a possibility with which CGC must contend. 

Have very low expectations, but give it a shot. Also, ask them what, if anything, they might be able to do to compensate you for the difference between the two. 

Who did the pressing work? If it was CCS, did you send the book to them in the 9.0 slab? If so, that will help your case substantially. The longer the paper trail you can generate, the better.

Trimming can be very, very difficult to detect. It can also be easy to detect, but that's not the case here. 

Generally, and I know it's a hassle, but everything submitted to CGC should ideally be scanned. That protects you AND CGC. 

10 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

If you have pictures of the book inside the original unrestored case, I would recommend writing an e-mail to customer service at CGC and explaining the situation to them, showing the before and after pictures, and ask if there's anything that can be done to look at the book again. 

It should go without saying that the alleged trimming was NOT done in between, but, however unlikely, it's still a possibility with which CGC must contend. 

Have very low expectations, but give it a shot. Also, ask them what, if anything, they might be able to do to compensate you for the difference between the two. 

Who did the pressing work? If it was CCS, did you send the book to them in the 9.0 slab? If so, that will help your case substantially. The longer the paper trail you can generate, the better.

Trimming can be very, very difficult to detect. It can also be easy to detect, but that's not the case here. 

Generally, and I know it's a hassle, but everything submitted to CGC should ideally be scanned. That protects you AND CGC. 

The fact that he still has the 9.0 label says to me that he did not submit the book to CCS or any other presser while still encapsulated. That break in the chain of custody does not help in getting any sort of compensation. 

31 minutes ago, Red84 said:

The fact that he still has the 9.0 label says to me that he did not submit the book to CCS or any other presser while still encapsulated. That break in the chain of custody does not help in getting any sort of compensation. 

Ok, My local Comic shop and I cracked the case. (I'm not sure if CGC offers that service...) The book was meticulously removed as I was right there and impressed with how secure those cases are. We had ZERO mistakes. The book was sent to CCS for pressing. I'm pretty sure I don't have any scans or photos of the book in its 9.0 state, may look into contacting the seller but it was several years ago.

I have a name of someone in CGC that I was told could maybe help me, but not response as of yet. 

Not feeling great about this, ut I thank you guys for your opinions and advice.

Very sad to hear about this and it does happen.  I have a book that graded unrestored (not CGC) but came back with a purple label and a notation that the cover had been reinforced.  Broke my heart.

I wish you the best of luck in getting some kind of compensation for this!

2 hours ago, Red84 said:

I have same thought too.

3 minutes ago, SuperGrover said:

That stinks, what do you think the odds are of a different outcome if he just resubmitted it?

So my query here was initially because a Blue Label grade I would keep for my collection, and was hoping with a press to get a small bump in grade. Now, I don't necessarily want this book. I am considering resubmitting later this year, as I have heard about graders being very tough this summer at CGC. But it is what it is...

1 hour ago, madcircle said:

So my query here was initially because a Blue Label grade I would keep for my collection, and was hoping with a press to get a small bump in grade. Now, I don't necessarily want this book. I am considering resubmitting later this year, as I have heard about graders being very tough this summer at CGC. But it is what it is...

What happened is not related to the graders being tough; this is the result of the restoration check. Trimming is the most difficult form of restoration to catch so it's possible it was missed beforehand. With no image of the book encapsulated with the 8.5 blue label you will likely have severe difficulty proving to CGC that restoration did not occur prior to you submitting. Sorry to say, but you are probably out of luck. Next time you ever want to resubmit a book always send it still encapsulated to CGC and/or CCS.

5 hours ago, Red84 said:

You're right. CCS would have submitted the old label to be removed from the census.Forgot about that. Not necessarily by another presser, though. But that's a good point, thanks for the correction. :)