• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Congrats to forumites of 2018
3 3

85 posts in this topic

The CGC Interview with the Legendary..... 

@Ghost Town   the real name will be edited to protect the innocent :)(thumbsu :shy: :foryou: ^^:whatthe::tink:

whose online persona is Ghost Town, is the winner of the 2018 John Verzyl Sr. Registry Masterpiece Award. Barton is one of the premier silver age collectors in the country, having submitted some of the finest key books that CGC has graded.

How long have you been in the hobby?
I started collecting seriously in 1979. I took a break from 1987 to 1992. When I moved to New York in 1992, I worked near a comic shop and walked in one day for just a little taste. I immediately relapsed into a full-scale addiction.

How did you get started collecting comics?
The spinner racks at 7-Elevens and drug stores were completely irresistible. There was nothing better than Marathon Bars and the latest issue of Spidey.

Do you have a favorite book?
It’s hard to beat Amazing Fantasy #15.

You have one of the most incredible collections in our Registry. Do you have a favorite set?
By far, the Picture Frame Marvels set. It’s the most challenging and satisfying set I’ve ever tried to complete. Putting together a high-grade Spider-Man or X-Men set is pretty doable if you’re willing to sell a kidney and write the checks. But finding a 9.2 copy of Millie the Model #194 or My Love #20 is nearly impossible.

How long have you been using the CGC Registry to log your collection?
I was one of the earliest adopters. I think the Silver Surfer set was the first set I entered right after the registry started.

How do you find missing pieces for your collection?
I scour dealer sites and eBay all the time. And CGC boardies have been incredibly helpful in tracking down some tough books for me.

Is there a new set you are working on?
I’m still trying to get all 388 Picture Frame Marvels in 9.4 or better. But that will take until the end of time. So The Fountain of Youth is on my want list, right after Fear #11.

2018 registry winneer.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

:headbang::headbang:

Great stuff Barton (the interview, not the comics - though those aren't bad either). I can't wait until your books become an official pedigree so all those undercopies I've bought from your sales threads can finally be tagged "from the @Ghost Town collection."

12 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

:headbang::headbang:

Great stuff Barton (the interview, not the comics - though those aren't bad either). I can't wait until your books become an official pedigree so all those undercopies I've bought from your sales threads can finally be tagged "from the @Ghost Town collection."

You already have a bit of the Oakman29 pedigree. Life could'nt get more awesome than that!:whistle: