• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book price guide
1 1

19 posts in this topic

The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide has been in existence for 48 years and although it is generally out of date on "current hot items" by the time on it is published it is still used by the majority of collectors and dealers alike for listing/selling/buying books.

https://comics.ha.com/overstreet/comic-book-price-guide.s?type=google_%2Boverstreet %2Bprice %2Bguides_nid-g-cid-283263975359-mt-b-device-c-ap-1t1-dm--clksrc-kw-cmpnid-1021425540-adgpid-49727156109-fditm--locphys-9003849&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItaWsxZWu3QIVzYuzCh0S0Qg4EAAYASAAEgJffvD_BwE

The best way to get an idea of what a book is worth/selling for "now" is to check eBay sold "Auction" listings for the book in question.

Look for books in the same/or close to grade as yours and check over the last few month's to get an average idea.

14 hours ago, Jeffr11327 said:

is that price guide only DC comic books?

No. the price guide lists prices for All comics, they use different covers each year and have different cover choices to choose from each year.

https://previewsworld.com/Article/216087-Overstreet-Comic-Book-Price-Guide-48-Available-Now

If you click on the link in my first post you will see you can purchase the price guide for download rather than buying a paper copy, me, I like having the book in hand but I am an old guy.

You can find paper copies on eBay, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc.

On 9/11/2018 at 7:22 AM, DevilLand said:

Overstreet is never up to date.

True, but if someone has comics they don't know how to value, it's likely they're 15 to 30 years old and the prices haven't changed much. lol

Edited by valiantman

On 9/11/2018 at 8:22 AM, DevilLand said:

17 hours ago, valiantman said:

True, but if someone has comics they don't know how to value, it's likely they're 15 to 30 years old and the prices haven't changed much. lol

IMO, if you are just getting started in the "hobby" there is no better reference material than the Overstreet Price Guide.

2 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:
20 hours ago, valiantman said:

IMO, if you are just getting started in the "hobby" there is no better reference material than the Overstreet Price Guide.

Agreed.  However, there should be a page in the Overstreet where they write in giant letters (not tiny ones):

Comics listed in this guide under $5 or at the original cover price in NM 9.2 condition often sell far below cover price in bulk, as much as 99% off.

7 hours ago, valiantman said:

Agreed.  However, there should be a page in the Overstreet where they write in giant letters (not tiny ones):

Comics listed in this guide under $5 or at the original cover price in NM 9.2 condition often sell far below cover price in bulk, as much as 99% off. Or they may be worth 10x the listed price and we'll get around to fixing the numbers in a decade or so. Just because we call this waste of paper a "Price Guide" doesn't mean we can get even relative values correct.

Fixed.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:
9 hours ago, valiantman said:

Comics listed in this guide under $5 or at the original cover price in NM 9.2 condition often sell far below cover price in bulk, as much as 99% off. Or they may be worth 10x the listed price and we'll get around to fixing the numbers in a decade or so. Just because we call this waste of paper a "Price Guide" doesn't mean we can get even relative values correct.

Fixed

True, but if someone has a bunch of books and they know nothing about comics, they are far more likely to have stacks of 99% off books than needing to believe they've got mint books at 10 times guide.  They might have 1 or 2 worth $30 for every 200 nickel books.  That's only $70 total, nowhere near the $600 total from "full guide" (at $3 each).

On 9/11/2018 at 5:22 AM, DevilLand said:

True dat

After a decade or so of offering a correction to them not listing Marvel Two-in-One #32 as having a 35 cent variant, I gave up on them as completely useless

Does anyone who still buys the OSPG know if that was ever fixed?

On 9/18/2018 at 1:50 AM, NP_Gresham said:

True dat

After a decade or so of offering a correction to them not listing Marvel Two-in-One #32 as having a 35 cent variant, I gave up on them as completely useless

Does anyone who still buys the OSPG know if that was ever fixed?

Nope, Overstreet still hasn't acknowledged the existence of MTIO #32 with a 35-cent cover.  

I have a similar experience.  A few times in the past, I've contributed information that they accepted and for which they added my name to the credits at the front of the Guide.  However, my experience was very different the last time I tried to submit information.  For many years, their listing for Wertham's Seduction of the Innocent had been incorrect.  I wrote them with corrections.  They took some of my suggestions, but in doing so they revamped the listing in such a way that it's now incorrect in whole new ways.  If you fix one fact but change three more to be incorrect, then you're not doing the hobby much good.  I wrote them again pointing out the stuff they got wrong, and never heard back.  So I gave up.

1 hour ago, SOTIcollector said:

Nope, Overstreet still hasn't acknowledged the existence of MTIO #32 with a 35-cent cover.  

I have a similar experience.  A few times in the past, I've contributed information that they accepted and for which they added my name to the credits at the front of the Guide.  However, my experience was very different the last time I tried to submit information.  For many years, their listing for Wertham's Seduction of the Innocent had been incorrect.  I wrote them with corrections.  They took some of my suggestions, but in doing so they revamped the listing in such a way that it's now incorrect in whole new ways.  If you fix one fact but change three more to be incorrect, then you're not doing the hobby much good.  I wrote them again pointing out the stuff they got wrong, and never heard back.  So I gave up.

I had a similar experience long ago, Steve. I interviewed Joe Sinnott for Overstreet's Comic Book Marketplace, the magazine edited by Gary M. Carter and great boardie @Pat Calhoun, and Joe requested one thing -- would I reach out to the OSPG and ask that they notate that he illustrated Dell's Life of the Beatles, as he said it was a work for which he was most proud. I sent off the letter to no avail. If an Overstreet adviser boardie reads this and can get this one thing done for Joe, it would be awesome!

A lot of things have changed in the last 38 years since I bought a comic book,  Books are now examined under black light for fingerprints even if they are 41 years old.  Some tears and markings are now ignored by graders, even CGC.  I recently purchased a copy OVST but was dismayed the price listings do not go beyond a 9.0 grade.  The difference in value on a 9.0 and a 9.8 can be 10 times more or greater.  The guide will show you generally which books are worth more especially older books.  A lot of newer books are worth a lot less than cover price.

14 minutes ago, MyCameo said:

The reason the OPG's top grade is 9.2 is because the OPG is only for raw books.

Along those lines... Does this mean a raw book is not considered higher than a 9.2 unless it is graded by a third party service such as CGC?  I know people are going to charge whatever they want for their books anyway so it is kind of a moot point.  I am just curious...