SHOULD I BE UPSET ABOUT THIS STAN LEE SIGNATURE?
2 2

26 posts in this topic

2 posts

I bought this for $350 on Ebay. I love the comic, but I am a bit upset that the autograph itself looks like mess. It's authentic, but it looks like a big blob of black. I'm not one to flip as I have loved Stan Lee and Spider-Man for over 35 years. I just wish it looked like his name.

Thoughts?

thumbnail.jpg

183 posts

No, considering there was a image in the listing that showed the signature very clearly looking like it does. If you want a "readable" Stan Lee signature you need to hunt for it. Older signatures are going to look better.

PS: Welcome to the boards. :tink:

254 posts

If you think that’s a bad Stan signature... you haven’t been looking. And how do you buy something on eBay and not already know what the signature looks like... get outta here with that BS. Troll somewhere else, please. 

19,654 posts

So it was bought on e-bay, so you knew what it looked like before you purchased it...….ok

26,903 posts

Welcome to the boards Web Slinger

Hey, not the most beautiful Stan Lee signature but it is his signature and at this point he won't be signing many more books.  Can't help but like a signed book that has his image drawn on the cover.

1,099 posts

You purchased it, knowing what it looked like, and are now complaining about what it looks like?   Gotcha.....(thumbsu

11,156 posts
On 10/7/2018 at 6:44 PM, WEB_SLINGER2000 said:

I bought this for $350 on Ebay. I love the comic, but I am a bit upset that the autograph itself looks like mess. It's authentic, but it looks like a big blob of black. I'm not one to flip as I have loved Stan Lee and Spider-Man for over 35 years. I just wish it looked like his name.

Thoughts?

thumbnail.jpg

Did the seller send you a book different than the one listed? 

No? 

Then what's the problem? 

Here's what you saw on ebay

asm.thumb.png.3ab23cceb7b84219ff8727392e8806a2.png

Looks EXACTLY like what he sent you. 

If you wanted something different, you should have bought something different...

1,313 posts

There's always buyers for Stan merchandise...

s-l1600.jpg

Guessing it came out of one of Celestial Wind's private signings based on the date.  

5,201 posts
On 10/7/2018 at 5:44 PM, WEB_SLINGER2000 said:

Thoughts?

thumbnail.jpg

That's one of the smallest Stan sigs I've ever seen.  You can't complain if you saw a pic of it before you purchased it.

2,333 posts

Not joking here, I honestly believe this.

I think in about 10 -15 years time (depending on when Lee makes his exit) there will become a market for the worst/craziest/blob-ish SL signature from those curio-minded collectors. 

Your book will be worth a fortune at that time. Hold on to it. 

41,920 posts

I think just the opposite - clean, sharp, well-placed Stan sigs will command a premium.

2,333 posts

of course, that goes without saying: the most money will come from the clean, sharp well-placed sig.

But I don't doubt that there will be a certain type of antithetical comic collector that leans to the curious/bizarre/stuff everyone else hates that will want the absolute worst SL sig in existence, of which our OP may possess and will pay a price for it, perhaps getting into bidding wars with the like minded. Much like some ghoulish collector paying a premium for SL's last sig ever. 

Edited by NoMan

41,920 posts

You definitely could be right. When I was active, I would have paid a premium for the "cockroach" ASM 129.

2,333 posts
8 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

You definitely could be right. When I was active, I would have paid a premium for the "cockroach" ASM 129.

In a way, it's like the reason the Rifleman comic with the wood is collectable.