I'm cheating on comics...with vinyl records.
2 2

109 posts in this topic

12,209 posts
59 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

45's with their picture sleeves are a tough find. The kids of the fifties and sixties threw them around only leaving their records on the turntables. 

hm  I have purchased 3 "collections" so far but only the last was a OO. These are from the first one I bought about 3 years ago.

 

DtDs4eqWoAAgEXY.jpgDtDs4erXcAA8NJK.jpg

 

I don't know if I have the time/energy but perhaps they will find their way into the VCC this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,354 posts
9 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Try looking for Elvis's Sun records.  I only own 1

Definitely not something you find in a thrift store.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,989 posts

Nice!

Here is a tough one . A one sided 45 with an interview of Elvis for the radio. The DJ asks the questions and plays Elvis's reply.

Called T.V. guide presents Elvis. That is the AF15 of Elvis 45's. And good luck finding the questions that came with it.

Here's my copy.

 

20181127_190613.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,989 posts

Here's another tough one.

John Lennons Two Virgins album. 1968

 

20181127_191917.jpg

Edited by oakman29

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,958 posts

A few months back I was chatting with a twentysomething guy who was quite confused about the sound of vinyl.

"I don't get what's so good about it. hm There's all this crackling going on in the background."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,989 posts

I could talk records all day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,484 posts

Every year I tell myself I’m going to start collecting vinyl but end up using the extra cash for comics instead. I only have one: Tool - Lateralus which I basically bought for the gorgeous design. And it’s my favorite album. I love looking through my local shops collection. Would love to buy more underground punk albums. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,989 posts
16 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

Every year I tell myself I’m going to start collecting vinyl but end up using the extra cash for comics instead. I only have one: Tool - Lateralus which I basically bought for the gorgeous design. And it’s my favorite album. I love looking through my local shops collection. Would love to buy more underground punk albums. 

I would love to find a few Siouxie and the Banshees, or X albums.

Edited by oakman29

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18,719 posts
1 hour ago, newshane said:

My dad has an original pressing of Black Sabbath Vol. 4. 

Happens to be my favorite Sabbath album! :headbang:

I just picked up a sweet Vol. 4 about a month ago - like a black covered comic, it's very hard to find one that isn't beat up and full of white dings. I found a really nice one, paid a premium and it was worth it. Sounds as good as it looks.

Black Sabbath Vol 4 FRONT.jpg

Edited by Dr. Balls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18,719 posts
28 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I could talk records all day.

If you're an Elvis man - you and my step-dad would talk for hours. He's been a collector for decades. He's got amazing rarities (mostly lost on me, because I'm not familiar with a lot of 50's/60's music) but he was the first one to show me how to determine pressings 20 years ago (by looking at the matrices). 

He once found a record at a garage sale that had my mother's maiden name on it from when she had it as a teenager. Crazy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18,719 posts
1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

Nice!

Here is a tough one . A one sided 45 with an interview of Elvis for the radio. The DJ asks the questions and plays Elvis's reply.

Called T.V. guide presents Elvis. That is the AF15 of Elvis 45's. And good luck finding the questions that came with it.

Here's my copy.

 

20181127_190613.jpg

:applause: That's awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18,719 posts
55 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

A few months back I was chatting with a twentysomething guy who was quite confused about the sound of vinyl.

"I don't get what's so good about it. hm There's all this crackling going on in the background."

Listening to vinyl is a lot like reading an unslabbed book. There's something that pulls you back to the time when it first came out, and you're looking at it or listening to it like it was 1970 - or 1950 - whenever. I never get over that feeling of nostalgia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,958 posts

You do have to be careful with new vinyl, as they can use later digital remasters rather than the original analogue.

And, remaster doesn't always mean better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,565 posts
2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

                         here is the AF15 of the vinyl world.....

Image result for beatles butcher cover

Believe it or not, Wu-Tang Clan's, "Once Upon a Time in Shaolin", only one copy released in 2015, is the AF 15 of the record world. As it's #1, at 2.1 million dollars, more like the Action 1 of the record world!

 

 

Wu.jpg

Edited by James J Johnson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,565 posts
2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Believe it or not, Wu-Tang Clan's, "Once Upon a Time in Shaolin", only one copy released in 2015, is the AF 15 of the record world. As it's #1, at 2.1 million dollars, more like the Action 1 of the record world!

 

 

Wu.jpg

Honorable mention to Ringo Starr's personal copy of the White Album, serial number 0000001 sold at auction for about $800,000. A distant second to the Clan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,989 posts
39 minutes ago, Dr. Balls said:

If you're an Elvis man - you and my step-dad would talk for hours. He's been a collector for decades. He's got amazing rarities (mostly lost on me, because I'm not familiar with a lot of 50's/60's music) but he was the first one to show me how to determine pressings 20 years ago (by looking at the matrices). 

He once found a record at a garage sale that had my mother's maiden name on it from when she had it as a teenager. Crazy!

Then he would know about how rare that t.v. guide presents Elvis is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2