• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Way To Find Buyers that.....
1 1

91 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I didn't mean to imply that you said it would hurt to send to CGC.... :sorry:that was not my intention...

I think the OP misunderstood that Adamantium meant it would hurt to get a PLOD but it would be much more problematic if u sold a PLOD worthy book at top dolla 

4 minutes ago, KobaltDog said:

I think the OP misunderstood that Adamantium meant it would hurt to get a PLOD but it would be much more problematic if u sold a PLOD worthy book at top dolla 

Correct

Also CGC clarifying the the level of restoration will let the seller know what is top dollar and grade considering said restoration...

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Yes, that is their business.

:facepalm: You don't even know if your comics are restored and you're asking where to find people to pay top dollar?

Good luck. You're going to need it. 

lol did I even remotely say I dont Know my collection or whats comics are restored?

I thought I specifically said "I have a few comics that have been amateur restored" and I have those comics specifically marked and Noted...

basically what it comes down to is, I'm collector that has never been around other collectors, Only 3 people have ever even seen my collection(my father and Grandfather), I've never sold a comic before and have only ever been to a small time comic convention maybe 7 times.

my grandfather had a collection of about 175 Boxes....My dad was a life long comic reader and had a huge collection in the 80's(thats what started my grandfather collecting) Ironically My grandfather never read a single book he ever had(only collected because of the value), In the 80's, My grandfather lived in Florida and my dad lived in Indiana, My dad came to visit him and stay for about 4 months, My dad did not want to leave his collection at his house, so he brought it with him...my grandfather of course made fun of him for bringing the books and constantly joked about I dont know why you collect them, My dad  eventually showed him his collection and explained things to him.....the next day My grandfather Made A Massive "We buy comics" Sign and put it in front of his business(at the time he owned a costume car lot on a Main Florida road, where he did Costume work on van's) He also ran a ad in the paper....

My dad told The next 4 months was the most astonishing thing he saw, every day people would come in and sell My grandfather boxes of comics and then Him and My dad would go home that night and go through them...My dad said He remembered sitting on the living room floor going through a box of Avengers my grandpaw bought that day and when news hit that John Lennon had been shot....My dad left after 4 months and came home....

My dad sold his collection about 3 years later(it was one of his biggest regrets) , My grandpa continued to buy until he moved back to Indiana, where from the late 1980's until 2006 He moved back in forth from Indiana to Tennessee probably 30 times(always taking his 175 Boxes with him)

I've always been extremely close with my dad and Grandpa, but never had any desire for comics....thats changed about 12 years ago, My grandfather Moved yet again this time across the street from my dad and I(after His wife and my grandmaw died), again we had to bring his collection, But this time since he was so close, My dad and I went through it and he explained to me what was what and why they were value, I got ADDICTED...I then started reading comics.

Grandfather passed away about 7 years ago...complete collection went to me.

I spent the next 3 years, Pretty much Living going through his collection, Its pretty time consuming going through 175 Boxes, Buying new bags and backers for every book, New boxes, Grading every issue and Making complete lists.

can honestly say though...It was one of the greatest experiences of my life. something I'll always think back on and it will bring Joy to me.

but the point is, I did every single thing myself...My grandfather had been carrying this collection around since the late 80's...where ever he moved,  it moved with him, no one ever saw it or knew it existed ....once I got it, My dad and I are the only ones that ever went through it(My dad was in bad Health) so Mainly me.

My not your typical collector...I dont go to conventions, I didnt piece this collection together for years, no ones ever seen my collection, I have gone to a comic convention a few times and got about 30 KEY ISSUES i was missing or wanted, But I traded doubles for them(the only real money I have in the collection is the Upkeeping, which was a lot, again at least 50 thousand bags and backer and new boxes) ...

I Know my collection like the back of mind, I just know nothing else...I dont know how to sell them, I dont know the ins and outs on what usually collectors do.

anyways thats my story.

my dad died Monday, I need some extra money for Burial and funeral expenses, thought I'd try selling a few comics.

@billbrown7080 sorry for your loss! I lost my uncle within weeks ago, nothing can compare :( it'll take patience and time, glad you and your family had those years together though :foryou: 

Hang around here long enough and you'll pick up some things though, the most value would come from getting them graded. Provided time and investment, if you need something in your pocket soon and are confident that you know what you have concerning grade, resto, etc then try selling on the boards here. Plenty of collectors to go round, look at sold listings on site's and remember if you sell on the boards then you don't have to pay "site fee's" that you would on ebay (thumbsu 

9 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

THIS.

**I do want to mention that you have a great collection of sellable books.

billbrown7080 : if you are not willing to take the time and effort to sell your books you will not receive the top dollar. It takes effort and that is why other sellers / dealers pay you less because it takes many hours to process the books and price them and try to sell them and not all of the books will sell.

Here is the advice I can offer:

To do it yourself by selling via online you will need a quality image ( quality image means a scan, not a picture )of the front, back and potentially the inside of the more valuable books to show page quality ( inside is a photograph ) then list the book on:

1. The selling forums on this website

2. Ebay

3. send them to an auction house like Comiclink

4. Facebook

5. Mycomicshop

6. any of the plethora of online sales sites

You will need to take the risks associated with selling online. I can argue that you should also grade via CGC the more valuable books so you will need to risk shipping your books to CGC and then paying for pressing/ grading. Buyers will feel more comfortable paying top dollar for a CGC graded book than a raw book through online channels.

Option 2 is you can pay for tables at a comic show local to you and try to sell there.

My opinion: someone interested in the books you have to offer for their personal collection likely already owns a large percentage of them. Myself I have owned every book you listed and many of them multiple times and I don't care to own them personally and I would only be interested in buying them for resale. If a book is worth $100.00 and I know that what I could potentially sell it for is $100.00 I certainly do not want to buy it at $100.00 so to be honest unless you are willing to discount it I wouldn't waste my time attempting to buy your books so in effect you are limiting the number of potential buyers for your books. Consider that in your attempt to sell that almost all of your potential customers are really looking to resell /flip and make some money so you will need to leave some meat on the bone otherwise you will sell the mega keys and the rest will trickle out over a period of YEARS.

I hope this helps you.

Artboy knows what's up.Good advice.

The cgc boards are a tough place to find the kind of collector you're looking for.  Some of the big boys run through here, and they've seen it and owned it all already.  I'm a run collector who doesnt sell, but I'm not the answer either.  I have lots of what you're selling already, and I dont want doubles.  I dont want to invest too heavily in a collection because I dont have a regular venue to sell the spares.  I flat out dont have the coin for Spidey 1-20, let alone the rest of it, and wouldnt want to get a loan just to buy it all at once unless it was a smoking deal.

You'll find a lot of collectors at the local cons who are still new to the hobby, and excited about comics.  I think you might want to start there, just to enjoy the interaction.  The first few shows should be profitable, you're bringing new books to market.  Once your sales start to slow down, and you're tired of fending off the weekend dealers asking for a resale discount, send the big books to CGC, and go through an auction site.  You'll pay for grading, and have the auctioneer take his cut, but they can do it all at once without returns or hassles.

14 hours ago, billbrown7080 said:

I Know my collection like the back of mind, I just know nothing else...I dont know how to sell them, I dont know the ins and outs on what usually collectors do.

anyways thats my story.

my dad died Monday, I need some extra money for Burial and funeral expenses, thought I'd try selling a few comics.

Sorry for your loss.  Selling comics at top dollar is no easy task.  If you are looking to ease the financial burden for the funeral, my suggestion would be to sell a couple of your duplicate keys raw, through a consignor.  The reasons being - the amount of time and research you'll have to do to determine how/what/where/how much/how long for the whole collection and the lack of feedback and history of selling high dollar books.  Short term that helps you for the funeral costs and is a small enough piece that if you don't make all of the money you want, it only hurts you for a couple.  Testing waters, kind of.

More generally, I would suggest doing some calculations on your time value vs the cut from top dollar selling to dealers/through consignors.  You may find that if your time is worth, say $30/hr, then taking an hour to sell a $100 book - grading time, listing time, scanning time, and pacakging time (comic collectors expect you to pack it like it's an imperial Faberge egg) vs. paying a consignor a 30% commission is a wash.

As for finding end users, you might find some here, but I would suggest not worrying about it.  The buyer will do whatever they do with it and that's out of your hands, no sense in letting dissatisfaction into your life as long as you got what you wanted for it.  Even if a dealer buys it, some end user probably buys it from them.  The guide price is retail price.  if you want it, you have to become a retailer.

Edited by SteppinRazor

4 hours ago, oakman29 said:
  14 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Did you spend all on secret Santa? :blush:

:idea:

4 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Yeah THAT'S it! :eyeroll:

:gossip: (ADAMANTIUM-that's not it)

On 12/1/2018 at 6:45 PM, billbrown7080 said:

lol did I even remotely say I dont Know my collection or whats comics are restored?

I thought I specifically said "I have a few comics that have been amateur restored" and I have those comics specifically marked and Noted...

basically what it comes down to is, I'm collector that has never been around other collectors, Only 3 people have ever even seen my collection(my father and Grandfather), I've never sold a comic before and have only ever been to a small time comic convention maybe 7 times.

my grandfather had a collection of about 175 Boxes....My dad was a life long comic reader and had a huge collection in the 80's(thats what started my grandfather collecting) Ironically My grandfather never read a single book he ever had(only collected because of the value), In the 80's, My grandfather lived in Florida and my dad lived in Indiana, My dad came to visit him and stay for about 4 months, My dad did not want to leave his collection at his house, so he brought it with him...my grandfather of course made fun of him for bringing the books and constantly joked about I dont know why you collect them, My dad  eventually showed him his collection and explained things to him.....the next day My grandfather Made A Massive "We buy comics" Sign and put it in front of his business(at the time he owned a costume car lot on a Main Florida road, where he did Costume work on van's) He also ran a ad in the paper....

My dad told The next 4 months was the most astonishing thing he saw, every day people would come in and sell My grandfather boxes of comics and then Him and My dad would go home that night and go through them...My dad said He remembered sitting on the living room floor going through a box of Avengers my grandpaw bought that day and when news hit that John Lennon had been shot....My dad left after 4 months and came home....

My dad sold his collection about 3 years later(it was one of his biggest regrets) , My grandpa continued to buy until he moved back to Indiana, where from the late 1980's until 2006 He moved back in forth from Indiana to Tennessee probably 30 times(always taking his 175 Boxes with him)

I've always been extremely close with my dad and Grandpa, but never had any desire for comics....thats changed about 12 years ago, My grandfather Moved yet again this time across the street from my dad and I(after His wife and my grandmaw died), again we had to bring his collection, But this time since he was so close, My dad and I went through it and he explained to me what was what and why they were value, I got ADDICTED...I then started reading comics.

Grandfather passed away about 7 years ago...complete collection went to me.

I spent the next 3 years, Pretty much Living going through his collection, Its pretty time consuming going through 175 Boxes, Buying new bags and backers for every book, New boxes, Grading every issue and Making complete lists.

can honestly say though...It was one of the greatest experiences of my life. something I'll always think back on and it will bring Joy to me.

but the point is, I did every single thing myself...My grandfather had been carrying this collection around since the late 80's...where ever he moved,  it moved with him, no one ever saw it or knew it existed ....once I got it, My dad and I are the only ones that ever went through it(My dad was in bad Health) so Mainly me.

My not your typical collector...I dont go to conventions, I didnt piece this collection together for years, no ones ever seen my collection, I have gone to a comic convention a few times and got about 30 KEY ISSUES i was missing or wanted, But I traded doubles for them(the only real money I have in the collection is the Upkeeping, which was a lot, again at least 50 thousand bags and backer and new boxes) ...

anyways thats my story.

Sorry to hear about the family loss.

As mentioned already, start by selling some of your duplicates right here on the CGC board selling forum. Scans / images of the front and back cover, assign a grade and post it. **make sure you are following the posted board requirement guidelines:

For Sale – Threads may be removed for failure to comply, and repeated issues could result in strikes.

1. Books must be CGC or raw only, or items directly related to comics.
  2. No spamming. Group your for sale items into as few threads as is reasonable. Attempts to take up front page real estate by creating multiple threads for no reason are not allowed.
  3. List your books only once, and in the appropriate sub-forum. Incorrectly placed threads or books posted in multiple places will be moved. Repeat offenders will have their threads pulled completely.
  4. It must be an exclusive board-only offer. If the book is offered for sale through another venue (ebay, dealer site, personal web site, etc.) then it should NOT be offered here. It should be offered in the Sales Advertising board.
  5. Links to outside sites for any purpose involving purchasing the offered books are not allowed.
  6. It must list specific books with purchase prices. It is acceptable to bulk price, and/or to note that package discounts may be available, but you must list a starting price that you WILL sell for.
  7. List scans or an estimated grade of the offered books (additional information giving the rationale for the grade is also beneficial and will help your sale - ESPECIALLY if you do not have a scan - but not required in the initial post).
  8. List estimated shipping costs, times, and methods.
  9. List acceptable forms of payment (NOTE: Personal PayPal payment is NOT allowed as a listed option in your post as it is not appropriate for item purchases.)
  10. You cannot post in a way that violates the terms of service for your payment methods. (NOTE: Specifically, no surcharges for accepting PayPal, or discounts for other methods)
  11. A return policy must be stated with any time limits indicated. It is acceptable to say "No time limit" and/or "No returns" and/or have time limits that vary by reason for return e.g. "30 day return for any reason. No time limit returns for "not as described'". But time limits must be stated.
  12. If posting a trading thread you must list a dollar value price for the book that you WILL accept in TRADE VALUE, and you MUST put "TRADE ONLY" in the title of your thread if you will not accept money.
  13. Prompt responses must be made to buy requests made through the boards (posts or PMs).
  14. Threads may be bumped three times total AND only ONE FULL DAY AFTER falling off of the front page. This does not include "sold" notices, or truly useful informational updates. Note: we CAN tell the difference between a real update and a fake bump-update. Tread that line at your own risk. If you're spam bumping, "lawyering" the rules will not save you. ALSO HIDING YOUR POST AFTER BUMPING WILL NOT SAVE YOU. Yep, we can see that stuff.
  15. Threads selling digital codes or digital versions are not allowed.
  16. Raffles are not allowed.
  17. Mystery boxes are not allowed. You must list everything you are selling exactly as the buyer will receive it.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:13 PM, billbrown7080 said:

doesn't it cost money though to send each comic into CGC to be graded?

how much does the purple label of death hurt a comic? I've got a few comics that look like someone has "Amateur Restored" them. 

so I can get an idea, I mean for example how much would the Purple label hurt Amazing Spider-Man #1....Lets say you had a "Amateur Restored" AM1....does that knock the value down 60-70%?

I don't think having a PLOD hurts the value more than selling the book raw and appropriately noting the likely restoration. You avoid returns because someone can't claim you understated the extent of the resto. If I bought a restored book I'd like to have a professional opinion on what was restored. 

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:44 PM, LordRahl said:

This is not true. There are sellers here that get top dollar for raw books. It all depends on the book and the seller. 

It doesn't sound like the OP will be willing to give a refund if 3 months later someone gets the book back from CGC and it is restored.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:21 PM, oakman29 said:

I don't have any money to buy books, so what do I care.(shrug)

Should I send you a jar of crazed NYC waterbugs (aka giant roaches) to help infest your area to create more business for you? They don't fly at you angrily like the texas/Louisiana versions, they are more gliders, but they multiply rapidly. Or would you like me to send you some comics? Wombat did me a solid on the magazine forum, I can spread some holiday cheer (I forgot to sign up for the santa thing). Would a copy of Thor 339 make your day?