Grader's Notes....Yes or don't matter
1 1

16 posts in this topic

49 posts

Curious if having or not having Grader's Notes makes a difference to you guys when considering obtaining a book.

For example a bronze age key that's graded the same and both have same PQ but one has the notes and the other doesn't is there a preference ?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,500 posts

My personal experience with grader's notes from CGC is that I've been sorry EVERY TIME I've paid for them (probably about 6 times).  I can see their value, maybe, if you're talking about a 4 figure book or higher that's in less than VF condition.  This is just my humble opinion...I'm sure other's miles can and have varied from my experience.

 

To answer your second question, no notes is USUALLY a good thing as there "should" be nothing too unexpected for the grade.

Edited by Mystafo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,395 posts

I always buy them if its a $500+ book and is below a 9.4.  For me, I don't buy books with rusty staples and notes have saved me a couple of times.  For me I would rather put up $5 - $15 to be on the safe side but I have come across several collectors that were unaware of them altogether.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 posts
40 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

To answer your second question, no notes is USUALLY a good thing as there "should" be nothing too unexpected for the grade.

Would it be too bold of a statement to say having no notes is marginal better vs the same book that has notes then?

Unless having no notes might just mean the graders were too lazy or rushed to jot down details to the notes section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,500 posts
3 minutes ago, carefulsum said:

Would it be too bold of a statement to say having no notes is marginal better vs the same book that has notes then?

Unless having no notes might just mean the graders were too lazy or rushed to jot down details to the notes section.

Hard to say, honestly...i'd think so, generally but the too lazy scenario isn't too hard to believe either.  Hard to go wrong with the old board adage "buy the book not the label."  Ask for more/clearer pics of front and back + spine etc of both books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,788 posts
6 hours ago, comicquant said:

I always buy them if its a $500+ book and is below a 9.4.  For me, I don't buy books with rusty staples and notes have saved me a couple of times.  For me I would rather put up $5 - $15 to be on the safe side but I have come across several collectors that were unaware of them altogether.

I also dislike Rusty Staples but unless the rust is bad or has migrated, they don't seem to mention it. This makes sense because, in theory, the notes should only reference things that affect the grade. It seems CGC is pretty lenient on minor rust. In general, I have found notes to be quite unsatisfactory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,395 posts
1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I also dislike Rusty Staples but unless the rust is bad or has migrated, they don't seem to mention it. This makes sense because, in theory, the notes should only reference things that affect the grade. It seems CGC is pretty lenient on minor rust. In general, I have found notes to be quite unsatisfactory. 

I had one recently (I will try to find it) which mentioned something like "light rust on lower staple".

I found about 15 all with different descriptions.

 

Spoiler

631957178_Screenshot2018-12-0321_19_01.thumb.png.6a417fcfe7e66f03818f72d3680a031a.png

 

Spoiler

273363868_Screenshot2018-12-0321_19.12(2).thumb.png.221e2ebaaf779323132fa498621a6f0f.png

 

Spoiler

2014282397_Screenshot2018-12-0321_19_23.thumb.png.8a0c0ca8113b7fdc8fbf6e5fed7d2dfa.png

 

Spoiler

710752410_Screenshot2018-12-0321_19.35(2).thumb.png.2cc85978091e4b2f24caacf78453435b.png

 

Spoiler

1872225797_Screenshot2018-12-0321_19.42(2).thumb.png.f3e0bd19546bb61d655536461477c898.png

 

Edited by comicquant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,788 posts
1 hour ago, comicquant said:

I had one recently (I will try to find it) which mentioned something like "light rust on lower staple".

I found about 15 all with different descriptions.

 

Thanks for showing that. Very interesting. The notes, and references to rust, seem to be much more comprehensive than in years past. I guess the notes are becoming worth the money !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
937 posts

The other thing about graders notes is it will tell you if that strange stain pattern is foxing.  The 5.5 Cap 1 that just sold in the CC auction looked good, and it went for $153k,  but I looked at the reader notes and they said foxing. Yikes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
838 posts

If you're considering grader notes for an older slab, forget it.

I have a few from the early 2000's, and every time I've bought them (twice), the graders notes were exactly what was written on the front label of the slab. Nothing more. $16... poof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,045 posts
On 12/3/2018 at 12:48 PM, carefulsum said:

Would it be too bold of a statement to say having no notes is marginal better vs the same book that has notes then?

Unless having no notes might just mean the graders were too lazy or rushed to jot down details to the notes section.

It's not bold or inaccurate, especially on higher grade (9+) books. Grader's notes on high grade books make the book "look" like more is wrong with it than maybe should be. 

My opinion has long been that the only beneficial graders notes on slabbed books are for those defects no longer visible due to the slab.  Interior defects mostly. And collectors need to be aware of one simple fact. Grader notes are not an exhaustive list of every defect on a comic. It's the defects the graders took the time to write down. Nothing more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,788 posts
30 minutes ago, Tony S said:


My opinion has long been that the only beneficial graders notes on slabbed books are for those defects no longer visible due to the slab.  Interior defects mostly. And collectors need to be aware of one simple fact. Grader notes are not an exhaustive list of every defect on a comic. It's the defects the graders took the time to write down. Nothing more. 

I've had notes that cut off in mid sentence, on the very first sentence no less. Obviously, it was finish the notes or get to the bathroom ! Unfortunately, you don't know this until after you have paid. In the early years you could call up and get the notes. They would also tell you what grade each of the 3 graders assigned. Unfortunately, that is how I found out it is only the opinion of the finalizer that really counted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 posts
On 12/20/2018 at 10:26 AM, Tony S said:

It's not bold or inaccurate, especially on higher grade (9+) books. Grader's notes on high grade books make the book "look" like more is wrong with it than maybe should be. 


I guess it seems that there is a difference in regards to a high-graded book with vs without Grader's Notes.

I mean, if you think about it when looking at any particular CGC graded book, we can only make a judgement based on what we see so if comparing two same graded books that looks virtually identical on the outside then the book that has no Grader's Notes should logically be superior vs the one that has the Notes (because the notes details issues/problems with that particular book so it can only be a negative). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,612 posts
On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:02 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I've had notes that cut off in mid sentence, on the very first sentence no less. Obviously, it was finish the notes or get to the bathroom ! Unfortunately, you don't know this until after you have paid. In the early years you could call up and get the notes. They would also tell you what grade each of the 3 graders assigned. Unfortunately, that is how I found out it is only the opinion of the finalizer that really counted. 

The only thing I would add is that the finalizer is influenced by the opinions of the other graders, but will ultimately give it the grade they feel best represents the condition of the book. Happy holidays, Bob...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
364 posts

Well, one of the other companies have their graders' notes online for free and has saved me a lot of grief. But $5 a pop to determine if I want to buy a book or not? I'll pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1