Torpedo Comics Spreads it's Wings?
1 1

34 posts in this topic

45,344 posts
16 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

But, John knows how to do a convention. The Torpedo Con the week before SDCC was off the hook. He managed to convince most of the big dealers to set up for a one day show that was epic. It felt like an early SDCC. Plus he partnered up with someone else and had a great original art show right across the hall all for the same cheap admission price. 

John is a smart man , and knows the comic book world better than rock music. I have a feeling his Orange store will thrive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16,278 posts

Maybe, but it makes me wonder why Big Red sold out. They are in a good area with a college right there but they didn't seem to be able to make it. I was never much of a fan of them. The owner and the employees just didn't seen to care much when I went in. I hope it works out better for John. If the prices and selection suk, I doubt I will make it over there much if at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
848 posts

The wife and I had lunch in Old Town Orange on Sunday.  I walked over to Big Red Comics and I took this picture.

20190106_151145.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
116 posts
2 hours ago, oakman29 said:

John is a smart man , and knows the comic book world better than rock music. I have a feeling his Orange store will thrive.

Agreed plus at the Las Vegas store he would have store signing every month with the biggest names in the comic book business from frank miller to Jsc . Hope the same happens here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,344 posts
8 minutes ago, fatlab123 said:

Agreed plus at the Las Vegas store he would have store signing every month with the biggest names in the comic book business from frank miller to Jsc . Hope the same happens here.

Oh it will my friend , it will.:headbang:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,921 posts

I'm about 45 minutes away and I may visit the store this weekend.  The wife and I love the old Orange downtown.  I remember stopping by there a few months back but nothing of interest at the time since it's pretty much all new stuff.  I'm looking forward to seeing back issues there soon.  My go-to place thus far has been Comics Toons N Toys in Tustin and a place down in SD for overpriced golden age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,850 posts
17 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Maybe, but it makes me wonder why Big Red sold out. They are in a good area with a college right there but they didn't seem to be able to make it. I was never much of a fan of them. The owner and the employees just didn't seen to care much when I went in. I hope it works out better for John. If the prices and selection suk, I doubt I will make it over there much if at all. 

I applaud the keeping of another brick and mortar store in existence, I wish them well and hope they are there for a long time and profitable..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16,278 posts
5 hours ago, JazzMan said:

I'm about 45 minutes away and I may visit the store this weekend.  The wife and I love the old Orange downtown.  I remember stopping by there a few months back but nothing of interest at the time since it's pretty much all new stuff.  I'm looking forward to seeing back issues there soon.  My go-to place thus far has been Comics Toons N Toys in Tustin and a place down in SD for overpriced golden age.

What place in SD has over priced golden age?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,921 posts
28 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

What place in SD has over priced golden age?

It is Empire Comics and Collectibles.  Nice place - doesn't have A/C and I visited on a hot summer day last time.  The owner is a nice guy and he's got a nice selection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,023 posts

I have nothing useful to add, except I think that it should be "Torpedo Comics spreads its fins".

There, I said it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,511 posts

called yesterday because I was gonna make the trip today, person on the phone said don't bother for another month as that's when John (Torpedo) will be sending back issues. 

Saved me a trip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,921 posts

I stopped by on Saturday and they had some CGC graded books and a smattering of back issues, but really not more than a handful.  They told me that they are bringing somewhere in the order of 300 long boxes (something like that, I can't quite remember) in the next few weeks while they remodel the storefront.  I'm looking forward to making that my main stop in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,635 posts
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:50 AM, F For Fake said:

I have nothing useful to add, except I think that it should be "Torpedo Comics spreads its fins".

There, I said it.

If John were here, you'd get a  'Ba-Dum-Bum-Bum'

Edited by 500Club

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16,278 posts

Was in the neighborhood so I stopped by the Torpedo shop today. Pretty much updated and changed. Big Red was manning the store. He said he and John were partners. No one came in the 45 or so minutes while I was chatting with him.  Kind of grim. I asked about vintage books and he said a ton of them were coming in a week or so. I will wait and see. Store looked nice. He pointed out bins that he said would hold about 100 longs. He claimed they would have a good selection of GA/SA/BA. Keeping my fingers crossed...:wishluck:

5BE80659-4778-4D85-A2E7-3110D2E28EF5.jpeg

3B90B355-4F8A-4504-B374-168E68EB4266.jpeg

182DDC57-0879-4223-8DF2-7151156E874F.jpeg

EC03DC4D-051D-490D-9462-557A3CE7BBAA.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1