• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Comic Recreation Of Roy Lichtenstein’s Painting, Girl with Ball
1 1

17 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Red84 said:

Hi everybody. 

Something I enjoy doing is creating my own interpretation of classic paintings out of comic book pieces. For those not familiar with painter Roy Lichtenstein, he had a bad habit of taking images from comic books for his paintings and not giving any attribution to the artists. For my third comic book collage I have created my own interpretation of Girl with Ball. The swimsuit is made of the copyright and trademark information from hundreds of comics. The piece is 20x36

Which characters can you find?

-Josh

6628A530-FEA5-4747-9CA6-50B4E28B3C41.jpeg

BD58132C-D049-414E-99ED-D2F23A936156.jpeg

excellent! :golfclap:

Have you received a c&d from the intellectual property manager for the Roy Lichtenstein Estate yet? ;)

Seriously cool imagery, but can you provide some context on what books you are savaging to make this?

Edited by comicwiz

12 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

Have you received a c&d from the intellectual property manager for the Roy Lichtenstein Estate yet? ;)

Seriously cool imagery, but can you provide some context on what books you are savaging to make this?

It's in the fine print on her swimsuit.

Excellent work.

Edited by HighRadArt

46 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

That would be rich wouldn't it? 

All of the books used are from 2004 to the present. 2004 is approximately when the comic industry began shifting from newsprint to magazine paper. Newsprint tears easily so I avoid using anything older than 2004 unless I have to. In my previous piece which is a recreation of an El Greco painting I needed lots of Silver Surfer images and had to use books from the 1980s and 1990s to get them.

Everything that I use is modern. The most expensive book that I've used has only become "valuable" after the fact; and those were a couple copies of Lethal Protector 1. I have about 1000 books that I purchased in bulk at around 10 cents a piece. Probably somewhere around 60% are DC/Marvel and 40% are independent. I'm actually looking to restock on supplies if anyone in the Chicago area wants to clear out some moderns.

Edited by Red84
typo

55 minutes ago, Red84 said:

That would be rich wouldn't it? 

All of the books used are from 2004 to the present. 2004 is approximately when the comic industry began shifting from newsprint to magazine paper. Newsprint tears easily so I avoid using anything older than 2004 unless I have to. In my previous piece which is a recreation of an El Greco painting I needed lots of Silver Surfer images and had to use books from the 1980s and 1990s to get them.

Everything that I use is modern. The most expensive book that I've used has only become "valuable" after the fact; and those were a couple copies of Lethal Protector 1. I have about 1000 books that I purchased in bulk at around 10 cents a piece. Probably somewhere around 60% are DC/Marvel and 40% of independent. I'm actually looking to restock on supplies if anyone in the Chicago area wants to clear out some moderns.

Just reminded me of what the rock band Elsinore went through with those insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.  Would be something if they have the stones to do it here.

FWIW, what you are making is a thousand times better than anything he made.

15 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

Just reminded me of what the rock band Elsinore went through with those insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.  Would be something if they have the stones to do it here.

FWIW, what you are making is a thousand times better than anything he made.

Thanks! Especially considering the not subtle commentary on his work that my piece represents.