• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trimmed gets a "Professional" now?

63 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

As long as there's money to be made by artificially enhancing the appearance of a book, there are people out there that are going to do it. To me, what really hurts about trimming is that it's so irreversible. There are many enthusiasts in the hobby that view trimming as the worst thing you can do to a book. I would have to agree...  

Yes.

I don't see the problem with trimming. It can help a book with tatty edges look so much better if you do it right and I do it to all my books. 

See - see how much better they look:

trim.thumb.jpg.febe69f997a92c91e7874fe9e07947ea.jpg

45 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I don't see the problem with trimming. It can help a book with tatty edges look so much better if you do it right and I do it to all my books. 

Holy carp, if you didn't tell me it was trimmed, I would've guessed a Gem Mint there. :whatthe:

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:
48 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Holy carp, if you didn't tell me it was trimmed, I would've guessed a Gem Mint there. :whatthe:

With them spine creases? What are you, PGX?

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

It looks like part of the cover art, if you ask me/PGX.

Might be a 9.9 with the White Out spilled in front of Supe's forehead.

I do pressing as well. It's not as difficult as they tell you.

pr.thumb.jpg.a523364a1aa7b2f7646b46743e232c9f.jpg

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Ingenious.

And as for my Grading Company, well, not blowing my own trumpet or anything but I think people are going to like it

thumbnail.jpg.960e9ea3f340be87a043bbbebc831124.jpg

See? No newton rings anywhere. 

I even have a Signature Series range - here's one Barry signed yesterday in my kitchen. I think the distinctive red label really makes it pop:

ss.thumb.jpg.27cfe2093039deaf54799d5dbd4445c1.jpg

Why does this always happen? I spend all morning doing 'proper' updates on pence threads and then all afternoon mucking about like a five year old hm

The alpha portion of the scale refers to the quality while the numeric refers to the quantity (1 (slight) to 5 (extensive)).  A has nothing to do with whether it is "professional" or not.  Per the latest pdf "A" means "excellent".  Granted, most of the time only a professional will get the designation I'm sure there are cases where amateurs do as well...  And professionals get "B" (Fine) or "C" (Poor).  

https://www.cgccomics.com/comic-grading/grading-scale/

13 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

As long as there's money to be made by artificially enhancing the appearance of a book, there are people out there that are going to do it. To me, what really hurts about trimming is that it's so irreversible. There are many enthusiasts in the hobby that view trimming as the worst thing you can do to a book. I would have to agree...  

No, I've seen worse done. How about an Action 1 that had each and every page, including the covers, detached and laminated, then stapled back together, not through the spine, like a comic is normally stapled in production, but stapled along the spine like a square bound isude pages are stapled. An I mean like 20 staples!

3 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Your self pressing system is simplistic and effective. I have a book in my personal presser. Been there over 30 days. Glad I don't give myself TATS.

20190419_121358.jpg

Bout time that carpet was hoovered isn't it?