Too many threads? Examples for new users
1 1

13 posts in this topic

6,376 posts

Hi all,

We have had a rule for a long time to group for sale items into "as few threads as is reasonable" to avoid wars for front page space. The rule itself has very limited information about what constitutes "reasonable", and in fact opinions vary on what is reasonable. It seems to be a bit of a trial and error process for new users.

I was hoping you would all help out by contributing some examples of thread splitting that is OK versus thread splitting that isn't OK. These posts can serve as "case law" examples for new users to help them get a better feel for what the right treatment is, instead of just the word "reasonable".

Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30,053 posts

It's my opinion that the rule should be changed to one open thread per section.  Very few post more than 1 per section at a time anyways.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,140 posts

Now that we have a larger front page I would also agree that one thread open per section seems to be okay. I myself would also argue that you should have closed a sales thread for at least one full day before opening another but I expect that this is a minority opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,810 posts
10 hours ago, comicdonna said:

It's my opinion that the rule should be changed to one open thread per section.  Very few post more than 1 per section at a time anyways.  

I agree completely. There is no reason to have more than one going at any given time in the same section. If it happens while a seller is running a current thread, that by accident (or by good faith sale) an old thread is raised from the dead by another member, obviously the old one gets closed without prejudice to the current thread, and the seller can still complete that sale via PM. That said, there are no circumstances I can see that justify opening two or more new threads at the same time in the same section. 2c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30,053 posts

Yep.  People that regularly sell here seem to get by fine with one thread.  Some have a theme for the thread, whether it be keys, romance, war, GA, or a nice mix.  When I see multiple threads from the same poster appear on the first page, it just doesn't seem fair to the other sellers.  When a new person shows up, the rules allow them to start multiple threads.  Regular posters get frustrated about this.  It makes the most sense to me to change the rule.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,081 posts
6 hours ago, comicdonna said:

Yep.  People that regularly sell here seem to get by fine with one thread.  Some have a theme for the thread, whether it be keys, romance, war, GA, or a nice mix.  When I see multiple threads from the same poster appear on the first page, it just doesn't seem fair to the other sellers.  When a new person shows up, the rules allow them to start multiple threads.  Regular posters get frustrated about this.  It makes the most sense to me to change the rule.  

This.

I personally see no reason to split a thread, no matter the difference in price, raw vs slabbed etc. The ability to edit your thread title can alert buyers to new books at any time within your current sales thread. If a book absolutely has to have it's own thread then close down your current one and open a new one. 2c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16,032 posts

Count me in. One thread per section at a time is plenty and reasonable. There's simply no reason to run multiple threads on the same page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,493 posts

I do not know if it is possible, Arch, but before someone posts in a sales thread for the first time, can they be directed to the rules section and have to check boxes that they have read (know there is no way to actually make them read) the rules?  No doubt this requires lots of work on your end if it is even possible. 

Even if we agree to one thread, I don't see how it can be enforced outside of what is already happening by someone reporting and having the multiple thread removed so in some ways rephrasing the rules seems like an exercise in futility.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,810 posts
5 hours ago, telerites said:

I do not know if it is possible, Arch, but before someone posts in a sales thread for the first time, can they be directed to the rules section and have to check boxes that they have read (know there is no way to actually make them read) the rules?  No doubt this requires lots of work on your end if it is even possible. 

Even if we agree to one thread, I don't see how it can be enforced outside of what is already happening by someone reporting and having the multiple thread removed so in some ways rephrasing the rules seems like an exercise in futility.

 

 

It may be the case that a rephrase of rule 2 could be clearer, especially for new users who don't have the benefit of experience with the day to day "best practices". Rule 2 says: 

"No spamming. Group your for sale items into as few threads as is reasonable. Attempts to take up front page real estate by creating multiple threads for no reason are not allowed."

As Arch put it, the problem is the word "reasonable". A new user might interpret the rule as about spamming in the major, and the rest of the rule as the minor derivatives, so a new user could conceivably say "Well, if I have one thread for Magazines, one thread for comics and one thread for fanzines, that's reasonable, and its not spamming as I am not double posting any specific item" etc...and as the rule goes on to prohibit multiple threads with the qualifier "for no reason" it brings us back to the less than clear idea of what is "reasonable". 

So to change the rule to prohibit more than one open thread at a time per section would be much clearer. It would not be only about spamming (which is not always or mainly the issue) and there would be no debates about what was "reasonable". You will either have one (legal) or more than one (illegal). That is how I understand this anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,913 posts
2 hours ago, crassus said:

So to change the rule to prohibit more than one open thread at a time per section would be much clearer.

^ ^  This  ^ ^

I've been pretty vocal in the past about about some of the posters in the Modern section, as some people like to abuse the system.  One seller opening one thread for a handful of cheap $3 Spideys, then another for a bucket of $2 Batmans... all that drek belongs in one thread.  But, "reasonable" is a relative term, and set against the backdrop of the mental state of some of these boardies... well, anything goes really.

Clarify the rule.  Make it a hard "One open sales thread per Board member per section".  In fact, you may even be able to enforce this by requiring any of the other open sales threads to be checked as "Closed" first before allowing another new sales thread post into each section.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,493 posts
6 hours ago, crassus said:

It may be the case that a rephrase of rule 2 could be clearer, especially for new users who don't have the benefit of experience with the day to day "best practices". Rule 2 says: 

"No spamming. Group your for sale items into as few threads as is reasonable. Attempts to take up front page real estate by creating multiple threads for no reason are not allowed."

As Arch put it, the problem is the word "reasonable". A new user might interpret the rule as about spamming in the major, and the rest of the rule as the minor derivatives, so a new user could conceivably say "Well, if I have one thread for Magazines, one thread for comics and one thread for fanzines, that's reasonable, and its not spamming as I am not double posting any specific item" etc...and as the rule goes on to prohibit multiple threads with the qualifier "for no reason" it brings us back to the less than clear idea of what is "reasonable". 

So to change the rule to prohibit more than one open thread at a time per section would be much clearer. It would not be only about spamming (which is not always or mainly the issue) and there would be no debates about what was "reasonable". You will either have one (legal) or more than one (illegal). That is how I understand this anyway. 

I don't disagree at all, Robert.  All this assumes though that a new or even any seller reads the rules.  That was what I was trying to push in at least ensuring they know they are there, have to look at them, and the consequences for not following them.  I am not dismissing that modifying the content would not be good as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,493 posts
15 minutes ago, telerites said:

I don't disagree at all, Robert.  All this assumes though that a new or even any seller reads the rules.  That was what I was trying to push in at least ensuring they know they are there, have to look at them, and the consequences for not following them.  I am not dismissing that modifying the content would not be good as well.  

I also thought it might be simpler instead of requiring a poster to check they have read/understand the rules as I earlier suggested that perhaps a pop-up appears when someone (not just a new poster) starts a sales thread that says something like - Please ensure you have read the sales posting rules.  Not following these rules will result in your thread being removed.  Continued abuse may result in strikes and/or being banned from board participation.  

And of course provide a direct link to the rules in the pop-up.  

Again, modifying is an added plus to add clarity as suggested.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,625 posts

I agree with the mob, one active thread per section. Is this worth a vote, or does it look like a landslide?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1