How did that get in there? What's in the case?
5 5

182 posts in this topic

41,251 posts
26 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:
35 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Gee willikers!  That could be the longest pubic hair ever!!  :D

Not even in the same ballpark:

"Your pubic hair probably doesn't compare to that of Maoni Vi from Cape Town, South Africa, who has the record for longest pubic hair, coming in at 28 inches".

We need a back cover pick to truly settle this :sumo: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,124 posts
9 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

We need a back cover pick to truly settle this :sumo: 

I got this from google. Copy and paste. It's official!

"Your pubic hair probably doesn't compare to that of Maoni Vi from Cape Town, South Africa, who has the record for longest pubic hair, coming in at 28 inches".

28 inches! :whatthe:  Must look like they're wearing a hula skirt! :eek:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41,251 posts
20 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I'm outta here :fear:

You're still here.  You've never been able to look away. meh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,393 posts
On 4/24/2019 at 7:42 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I received a CGC graded comic and the first thing I noticed was the Newton Rings, however upon closer inspection there was a line that had none. That's when I noticed a long dyed or bleached hair inside the inner well against the cover of the book.......if the hair was freshly bleached or dyed it could actually equate to a real problem for a high dollar book as it could bleach out a line on the cover or leech dye and if regraded could come back as a color touch.

If this hair that's trapped in the holder is interrupting the creation of Newton Rings, doesn't that mean that the hair is probably located between the inner holder and the hard outer holder......and not actually in direct contact with the book?

It doesn't appear to matter now that the book has been sent to CGC for a new holder......but was just wondering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
123 posts
On 10/13/2019 at 11:52 PM, Domo Arigato said:

If this hair that's trapped in the holder is interrupting the creation of Newton Rings, doesn't that mean that the hair is probably located between the inner holder and the hard outer holder......and not actually in direct contact with the book?

It doesn't appear to matter now that the book has been sent to CGC for a new holder......but was just wondering.

I took this picture before I sent it to CGC.  I think it pretty much shows the hair not interfering with the Newton Rings so I'm pretty sure it was against the book.  I had already sent the book to CGC when I contacted Brittany.  She was able to intercept the book.  Rather than it being ran through as a re-holder it was processed as a MECHANICAL ERROR.  It was turned around in a week and is out for delivery today.  No charge, not even for return shipping.  All I paid was shipping to CGC but that was no big deal as I sent it with another submission.  Will post a pic later today when it arrives.

Hair.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,131 posts
25 minutes ago, Iconic1s said:

I took this picture before I sent it to CGC.  I think it pretty much shows the hair not interfering with the Newton Rings so I'm pretty sure it was against the book.  I had already sent the book to CGC when I contacted Brittany.  She was able to intercept the book.  Rather than it being ran through as a re-holder it was processed as a MECHANICAL ERROR.  It was turned around in a week and is out for delivery today.  No charge, not even for return shipping.  All I paid was shipping to CGC but that was no big deal as I sent it with another submission.  Will post a pic later today when it arrives.

Hair.jpeg

:popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,059 posts
On 4/25/2019 at 11:09 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

They're owned by Beckett sports card grading service and are now located here in Dallas TX, so I'm not sure... that's really all I know...

Yes, of course. Even if he vanished into thin air, his Cheshire cat grin would still remain...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
123 posts

Ta da!  A happy ending to the ‘what’s in the case?’ storyline!

If anyone has a 9.8 for sale let me know! :takeit:

Below is a pic w/out hair, close up w/out hair and before hair removal (those were some bad Newton Rings!). 
 

1C360E13-C0C9-4549-8E31-8FE82C8516B0.jpeg

7C6BE6DA-6F9A-4FB1-BE72-A6244766B51E.jpeg

A1275371-11E0-48FF-B55D-2F25EED89A43.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,393 posts
On 4/24/2019 at 7:42 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I am starting this topic as today I received a CGC graded comic and the first thing I noticed was the Newton Rings, however upon closer inspection there was a line that had none. That's when I noticed a long dyed or bleached hair inside the inner well against the cover of the book.  Now this isn't any high grade (it's 9.4) or super valuable book , and like most I laugh. Although if the hair was freshly bleached or dyed it could actually equate to a real problem for a high dollar book as it could bleach out a line on the cover or leech dye and if regraded could come back as a color touch. Ok back on topic it has me wondering what is the weirdest thing that has ever made it's way into a CGC case? Like the doc who forgot to remove the gauze during a surgery. I am curious what's in the case? Anyone ? Show us your , " what's that doing in there?"

 

6 hours ago, Iconic1s said:

I took this picture before I sent it to CGC.  I think it pretty much shows the hair not interfering with the Newton Rings so I'm pretty sure it was against the book.  I had already sent the book to CGC when I contacted Brittany.  She was able to intercept the book.  Rather than it being ran through as a re-holder it was processed as a MECHANICAL ERROR.  It was turned around in a week and is out for delivery today.  No charge, not even for return shipping.  All I paid was shipping to CGC but that was no big deal as I sent it with another submission.  Will post a pic later today when it arrives.

Hair.jpeg

What the what?  Does this book belong to you or to the starter of this thread (onlyweaknesskryptonite).....or are you posting with two different accounts?

Either way, the pictures posted do show that the hair was interfering with the creation of newton rings.  As was mentioned in the first post in this thread....."the first thing I noticed was the Newton Rings, however upon closer inspection there was a line that had none."

No newton rings appear along the path that the hair creates in the holder.  My understanding is that newton rings are created when the inner well comes into contact with the outer hard shell of the case and produces the newton ring effect.  The hair appears to be creating an open, or dead space between the inner well and the outer holder (keeping them from touching each other).....and this is why there are no newton rings along the path of the hair and within a short distance of it.  It just doesn't look like the hair was in contact with the book.  But as I mentioned before, it doesn't really matter at this point.  It's still a hair in the holder and needed to come out.  I'm just trying to clarify what was happening in this particular instance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
503 posts
7 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

 

What the what?  Does this book belong to you or to the starter of this thread (onlyweaknesskryptonite).....or are you posting with two different accounts?

Either way, the pictures posted do show that the hair was interfering with the creation of newton rings.  As was mentioned in the first post in this thread....."the first thing I noticed was the Newton Rings, however upon closer inspection there was a line that had none."

No newton rings appear along the path that the hair creates in the holder.  My understanding is that newton rings are created when the inner well comes into contact with the outer hard shell of the case and produces the newton ring effect.  The hair appears to be creating an open, or dead space between the inner well and the outer holder (keeping them from touching each other).....and this is why there are no newton rings along the path of the hair and within a short distance of it.  It just doesn't look like the hair was in contact with the book.  But as I mentioned before, it doesn't really matter at this point.  It's still a hair in the holder and needed to come out.  I'm just trying to clarify what was happening in this particular instance.

Originally I had this book. The hair appeared to be against the book itself.  I know their claim about Newton Rings,  and you are correct about it appearing that there was a line where there were non around the hair, but the rings were bad on this one except where the hair was. I did sell this book to Iconic1 and he sent it in for reholder. Looks way better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,393 posts
16 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Originally I had this book. The hair appeared to be against the book itself.  I know their claim about Newton Rings,  and you are correct about it appearing that there was a line where there were non around the hair, but the rings were bad on this one except where the hair was. I did sell this book to Iconic1 and he sent it in for reholder. Looks way better!

Iconic1s stated in his post that the picture "pretty much shows the hair not interfering with the Newton Rings so I'm pretty sure it was against the book".  This is the exact opposite of what you are saying in your post quoted above (I believe you are correct and the hair WAS interfering with the creation of newton rings at that spot).

And this is what seems to indicate that the hair was not against the book itself.  I don't believe newton rings are caused by the book pressing against the inner holder.  My understanding is that they are caused by the inner holder pressing against the hard outer case (somebody feel free to correct this if it's wrong).  If the hair was against the book, then the inner holder would still be able to press against the hard outer case in that location and you would still be able to see newton rings where the hair is.....but you can't.  

 

Edited by Domo Arigato

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
503 posts

To me the hair looked as if it was against the book. The Newton Rings were not where the hair was, however to me it looked as though the Newton Rings were where the inner and outer walls met, but there seemed to be a pocket of air between the inner and outer walls keeping the area above the hair from showing Rings. When I had this books I looked over it many times and it always appeared to me that the hair was not between the inner and outer,  but on the book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
503 posts
1 hour ago, Iconic1s said:

Ta da!  A happy ending to the ‘what’s in the case?’ storyline!

If anyone has a 9.8 for sale let me know! :takeit:

Below is a pic w/out hair, close up w/out hair and before hair removal (those were some bad Newton Rings!). 
 

Congrats on the reholder and it looks SWEET! I am curious if the reholder is in a normal thickness holder or if they used the thicker case? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,393 posts
7 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

To me the hair looked as if it was against the book. The Newton Rings were not where the hair was, however to me it looked as though the Newton Rings were where the inner and outer walls met, but there seemed to be a pocket of air between the inner and outer walls keeping the area above the hair from showing Rings. When I had this books I looked over it many times and it always appeared to me that the hair was not between the inner and outer,  but on the book.

I realize that the hair looked like it was against the book to you, but the facts you keep stating about the newton rings (and the picture) seems to indicates that it wasn't.  You state that the newton rings were where the inner and outer walls meet.....but that there appeared to be a pocket of air between the inner liner and the outer case where the hair was.  This would be the exact scenario that would occur if the hair was between the inner and outer holders and not against the book itself.  The hair would separate the inner holder a bit from the outer holder and create a pocket of air there where no newton rings would be able to form. If the hair was against the book, it would push the inner holder up and make it more likely to contact the outer holder along where it was located, which would cause newton rings in that spot, not eliminate them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,393 posts
21 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Congrats on the reholder and it looks SWEET! 

Agreed!

Like peoples backs, CGC holders look much better without hair.

Greggy always cleans the small curly hairs off of his Cherry Poptart books before he submits them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
5 5