Would you refund?
0

41 posts in this topic

42,342 posts

I was reading about a dealer who sold a CGC book and then some two months later, the buyer asked to return the book. The reason for the refund was that the book wasn't able to be added to the person's registry. I think the former owner refused to transfer the book, although I don't know how that works. Anyway, as someone who doesnt bother with the registry, this seems like something I wouldn't allow. However, I have an open mind on this and am interested in the case for a refund. 

Why should a two month old transaction be canceled because a book has an issue with the registry? There is no doubt the book is real, as is the slab, and the certification numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,947 posts

If the dealer was unreasonable enough to retain registry ownership for a book they'd sold on, I can't see how they'd be willing to entertain a refund? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,885 posts
Posted (edited)

You can always email Mollie, of the cgc registry, and provide a pic of the book with a date stamp such as her email in the background...she will then transfer it to your registry...

@shadroch her email is mdavis@cgccomics.com

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,342 posts

It was a consignment book that the old owner sent to the dealer. Dealer can't transfer a book, can they?

 I would find the registry of use if I were a burglar. Since I'm not, I have no use for it. 

Others may look at it differently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,885 posts
10 minutes ago, shadroch said:

It was a consignment book that the old owner sent to the dealer. Dealer can't transfer a book, can they?

 I would find the registry of use if I were a burglar. Since I'm not, I have no use for it. 

Others may look at it differently.

whoever "owns" it can transfer it, if it is a consignment and has not sold yet, then I see why the OO wants to keep it in his registry....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,583 posts
10 minutes ago, shadroch said:

It was a consignment book that the old owner sent to the dealer. Dealer can't transfer a book, can they?

 I would find the registry of use if I were a burglar. Since I'm not, I have no use for it. 

Others may look at it differently.

Curious, how would someone find use of this for stealing as I don't think there is any personal information on the registry? As my concern then is it safe to post your books on a registry then? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,947 posts
2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

whoever "owns" it can transfer it, if it is a consignment and has not sold yet, then I see why the OO wants to keep it in his registry....

He said it was sold two months ago, and the new owner wanted to return it? So I presumed that meant the new owner had had it for 2 months? So why would the old owner want to retain the registry record?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,885 posts
Just now, Get Marwood & I said:
4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

whoever "owns" it can transfer it, if it is a consignment and has not sold yet, then I see why the OO wants to keep it in his registry....

He said it was sold two months ago, and the new owner wanted to return it? So I presumed that meant the new owner had had it for 2 months? So why would the old owner want to retain the registry record?

and then he said that the "new owner" was a dealer and that it was a "consignment", very confusing..... I think I've already answered the question though :shy: 

whoever "owns" it can contact mollie to "prove it", if he is saying it is still on consignment then Idk what "who's it is", not for me to decide anyway though lol 

16 minutes ago, shadroch said:

It was a consignment book that the old owner sent to the dealer. Dealer can't transfer a book, can they?

 I would find the registry of use if I were a burglar. Since I'm not, I have no use for it. 

Others may look at it differently.

Dealer wouldn't transfer the book, no, whoever bought it would.... not sure I understand .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,138 posts

Tell buyer to crack slab and resubmit. 2 months after purchase is way past a reasonable return time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,947 posts
1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

very confusing

Indeed.

@shadroch - what exactly is the scenario we're being asked to comment on here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,885 posts
Posted (edited)

Well if there is a "refund" involved.... then someone bought it?

lol 

In short, no I wouldn't refund, I'd give the buyer the email and info I gave you and let them contact Mollie...... it's up to her and the owner of the book to decide "who's it is", the seller has no claim though but can try and sway Mollie too, though it is no longer their's...and it does belong to somebody...

If the seller is not wanting to relinquish the registry, tough cookies, but as to how whoever will prove it's theirs? I have no idea, but I feel bad for Mollie to have to decide now (shrug)???

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,866 posts

Not registering a book is a dealbreaker? Really, is that what we worry about these days. I'm lucky enough I have money to buy quality books at all with my upcoming family vacation.

As collectors we really lose our stack over silly things. I've done it. In hindsight I wish I hadn't. There are other things I could mention like asking for a refund after 2 months, but isn't the possession of a book that you've been wanting the most important thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,342 posts
57 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

Curious, how would someone find use of this for stealing as I don't think there is any personal information on the registry? As my concern then is it safe to post your books on a registry then? 

 

45 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well if there is a "refund" involved.... then someone bought it?

lol 

In short, no I wouldn't refund, I'd give the buyer the email and info I gave you and let them contact Mollie...... it's up to her and the owner of the book to decide "who's it is", the seller has no claim though but can try and sway Mollie too, though it is no longer their's...and it does belong to somebody...

If the seller is not wanting to relinquish the registry, tough cookies, but as to how whoever will prove it's theirs? I have no idea, but I feel bad for Mollie to have to decide now (shrug)???

That's what I was thinking, but I'm out of touch with much these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,342 posts

I'm wondering if the book was sold by a dealer who had the book on consignment. The new buyer bought the book, requested registry points and the original owners said no, it's my book. So did the original owner get paid?  If the dealer has yet to pay the original owner, that could be the source of confusion. Yet another reason to check out who you consign with.  In another field, I was going to consign a pair of Gucci Driving loafers and at the last moment saw the shop pays out quarterly. That's akin to an interest free loan to the shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,787 posts

Wouldn’t this fall under “ Buyers Remorse “ because they can’t register the book.

I wouldn’t  refund a book for this. It’s absurd. As most sellers state, no refunds on cgc graded books. If the book was not damaged during shipping etc, sorry no refund.

I’m sure most sellers don’t care about the registry of books they’re selling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
787 posts

No, this is in no way a valid reason to return a book and get a refund. As others have already mentioned, if this is the current owner's main concern, then he or she should contact CGC and it is really easy to resolve. He just needs to provide a current photo of the slab. I have done this a couple of times and it is just a matter of a couple of hours to get resolved. Not that I would ask to return the book, even if it wasn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,685 posts

That is a ridiculous reason to ask for a refund. 

The book CAN be added to the registry. All you have to do is contact the CGC if the original owner refuses to transfer...and I don't understand why the original owner would refuse anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,947 posts
18 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I'm wondering if the book was sold by a dealer who had the book on consignment. The new buyer bought the book, requested registry points and the original owners said no, it's my book. So did the original owner get paid?  If the dealer has yet to pay the original owner, that could be the source of confusion. Yet another reason to check out who you consign with.  In another field, I was going to consign a pair of Gucci Driving loafers and at the last moment saw the shop pays out quarterly. That's akin to an interest free loan to the shop.

So your saying:

  • Person A gives his book to a dealer to sell on consignment
  • The Dealers sells to person B
  • Person B, the new owner of two months, so he must have paid the dealer, requests registry transfer from the dealer (who he bought it from)
  • The dealer says no. Or, the dealer asks person A, and they say no

Is that the scenario?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,342 posts
1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

So your saying:

  • Person A gives his book to a dealer to sell on consignment
  • The Dealers sells to person B
  • Person B, the new owner of two months, so he must have paid the dealer, requests registry transfer from the dealer (who he bought it from)
  • The dealer says no. Or, the dealer asks person A, and they say no

Is that the scenario?

I think Person A claimed he still owns the book. If he sent it out on consignment and hasn't gotten paid yet, I can see his point.

All I'm really curious about is if people thought the dealer should refund.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
513 posts
Posted (edited)

This is my experience/knowledge of the transfer...the old owner is emailed/notified when the new owner attempts to add it to the registry. If the owner doesn't respond to the transfer request, the book is then automatically added (by CGC) to the new owners set after a certain period of time (7 days, I believe). I'm not sure how the owner could refuse to transfer, unless they were emailing/responding to CGC and fraudulently claiming ownership of the book or telling them that the attempt by the new owner to add it to the set was fraud. Either way, the new owner should verify with CGC. At that point, CGC should delete all sets and ban the offending :censored:er that is being a total arse . I for one, like the registry. I use it to catalog my books and appreciate the ability to "compete" with other collectors. I enjoy seeing how my collection stacks up against others and I like to peruse other collections and look at their books.

As for the return, I don't see that as your problem and asking after 2 months is ridiculous. I enter my books within a few days and wait for a transfer. If it doesn't happen within two weeks, I would contact CGC and know at that point that there was a problem.

Edited by Supa-Bad-Mofo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0