• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating GEEzusWalks
3 3

260 posts in this topic

A similar thing happened to me. 

I put the :takeit: in a PM and it was accepted.

The next day the seller PM’ed me and gave some flimsy reason for reneging on the deal (that I didn’t put the :takeit: in the thread).

The truth was (confirmed by the seller via PM) another boardie offered more for the book and snaked the deal (theshadowknows) 

I was PO’ed as much as CC is now but in the end the aggravation wasn’t worth it. You’ll never get an answer that satisfies you, there is no resolution other then the seller honouring the sale and that doesn’t look like it’s likely to happen. 

My advice is move on and never deal with the seller again, you’ve done your do diligence and warned your fellow community members about the hassles of dealing with someone who is seemingly not above board and as far as I’m concerned as a potential buyer their rep is mud and it’s deal with him at your own risk. 

Edited by topofthetotem

20 hours ago, topofthetotem said:

A similar thing happened to me. 

I put the :takeit: in a PM and it was accepted.

The next day the seller PM’ed me and gave some flimsy reason for reneging on the deal (that I didn’t put the :takeit: in the thread).

The truth was (confirmed by the seller via PM) another boardie offered more for the book and snaked the deal (theshadowknows) 

I was PO’ed as much as CC is now but in the end the aggravation wasn’t worth it. You’ll never get an answer that satisfies you, there is no resolution other then the seller honouring the sale and that doesn’t look like it’s likely to happen. 

My advice is move on and never deal with the seller again, you’ve done your do diligence and warned your fellow community members about the hassles of dealing with someone who is seemingly not above board and as far as I’m concerned as a potential buyer their rep is mud and it’s deal with him at your own risk. 

The aggravation may or may not be worth it but this thread and/or the resulting inclusion onto the PL does expose his behavior to board members, not a bad thing.

12 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

The aggravation may or may not be worth it but this thread and/or the resulting inclusion onto the PL does expose his behavior to board members, not a bad thing.

Who said it was a bad thing? 

On 6/27/2019 at 12:18 AM, topofthetotem said:

You’ll never get an answer that satisfies you

Having finally read this thread I believe this is sums it up nicely, unless there is specific evidence provided to show reason(not providing scans doesn't prove anything), buyer was refunded in a reasonable amount of time, buyer understandably questions the transaction/explanation and can add him to his Do Not Buy list, I don't think it should be a Probation List issue. 

1 hour ago, GACollectibles said:

Having finally read this thread I believe this is sums it up nicely, unless there is specific evidence provided to show reason(not providing scans doesn't prove anything), buyer was refunded in a reasonable amount of time, buyer understandably questions the transaction/explanation and can add him to his Do Not Buy list, I don't think it should be a Probation List issue. 

My whole argument is that this establishes a dangerous precedent. 

Sellers can simply say "I lost the book, here's your money back." That's all it takes? Really? 

No good. 

You're giving sellers a loophole through which they may cancel transactions. 

If this guy can lose a book and is telling the truth, then maybe I can as well, right? And maybe you can...and her...and him...and.....

11 minutes ago, newshane said:

Sellers can simply say "I lost the book, here's your money back." That's all it takes? Really? 

No good. 

If this guy can lose a book and is telling the truth, then maybe I can as well, right? And maybe you can...and her...and him...and.....

Agree dangerous if not silly precedent indeed. For those with kids, this sounds too much like "I didn't do anything wrong!"..uhm yes you did. A book does not disappear, pictures don't disappear, sales records don't disappear ALL at the same time.. Unless its a perfect storm of willful bliss ( refraining from using the word ignorance). I think the buyer wants the book, not the refund. Yes from a technical standpoint, the seller fulfilled his obligations by refunding the money, but this is a shady sequence of events and although it appears this maybe the first time this happened with this seller, it has tainted his reputation in my eyes. As such i personally would not deal with him, regardless of the book. 

Probation lists have a timer?..okay so he waits out the timer then what. HOS is reserved for egregious breaches i guess. Then perhaps we should have a " Shady Deals list" for deals like this, as a warning, you do shady deals people are going to know about it. 

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:01 AM, newshane said:

Regardless of what happens officially, I will not be doing business with this guy. 

The buyer or the seller?  hm

7 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Interesting point. I guess i'm lucky the one time a similar situation happened to me on eBay that the guy understood and didn't want to make a big deal out of it.

I can honestly say that if this had happened to me and I got my money back, I wouldn't have made it public (shrug)

3 hours ago, GACollectibles said:
On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:18 PM, topofthetotem said:

You’ll never get an answer that satisfies you

I put this in the thread on this topic in general - I have not been able to find books in almost every sales thread I have done here.  I added this point in my last sales thread in mixed:

Caveats: I can’t seem to run a large thread like this without including a book I either previously sold or can no longer find – I apologize in advance for my lack thoroughness in this respect. 

One thing I do do, however, is to pull all books and place them in a pile with the buyer's name before I send them an invoice, so they know a book is not there before they can send me payment.

3 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Interesting point. I guess i'm lucky the one time a similar situation happened to me on eBay that the guy understood and didn't want to make a big deal out of it.

I can honestly say that if this had happened to me and I got my money back, I wouldn't have made it public (shrug)

Brock will be Brock.

10 minutes ago, Logan510 said:
20 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Me neither.  I have taken books many times in sellers threads with the caveat "if the price is correct".  I do this for a couple reasons:  because the price looks inaccurate, I'm not here to screw sellers, and I'm not that greedy.

The one time that really sticks in my mind was with FlyingDonut posting a CGCd GL for $200, when he actually meant $1000.

This whole situation is not all that different from hosing sellers with :takeit: when the book is obviously mispriced.  Not saying that this was the case in the instance that caused the creation of this thread, but that is the next logical step in hosing sellers for obvious mistakes with PL nominations.

Or how about buyers bumping old sales threads?  The "Close" function is a recent invention.  How far back in time can buyers go to hose sellers when they haven't formally "Closed" their sales threads?

Edited by lizards2

1 hour ago, newshane said:

No good. 

Sellers can say that anytime, but usually don't so THAT precedent has already been set.  If there was evidence showing he did something otherwise then great, but if not then it's punishment by speculation.

If we see repeated behavior then we should move on to reviewing a policy for that, not based on one instance.

1 minute ago, GACollectibles said:

If there was evidence showing he did something otherwise then great, but if not then it's punishment by speculation.

He lost the book. He lost (erased) pictures of the book. He also does not have any record of sale. All of this within a span of three weeks. 

Yep. 

Nothing fishy here. Move along, 

I've heard of a book "having legs" but now I guess we are to take that idiom literally. 

11 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I put this in the thread on this topic in general - I have not been able to find books in almost every sales thread I have done here.  I added this point in my last sales thread in mixed:

Caveats: I can’t seem to run a large thread like this without including a book I either previously sold or can no longer find – I apologize in advance for my lack thoroughness in this respect. 

One thing I do do, however, is to pull all books and place them in a pile with the buyer's name before I send them an invoice, so they know a book is not there before they can send me payment. 

I have done the same thing, and just did so recently.  Book was not removed from my spreadsheet as it should have been, I didn't do the thread with the books in front of me one by one, and I made a mistake.  Buyer was (thankfully) understanding and is being reimbursed.

I definitely should have, and you pointing that out reminds me that I will from now on, is pull the books prior to invoicing.

Just now, newshane said:

He lost the book. He lost (erased) pictures of the book. He also does not have any record of sale. All of this within a span of three weeks. 

Yep. 

Nothing fishy here. Move along, 

I've heard of a book "having legs" but now I guess we are to take that idiom literally. 

Fishy?  Yes.  Move along?  Let's all do so.

23 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

that's a profit margin killer :idea:

5 minutes ago, GACollectibles said:

Fishy?  Yes.  Move along?  Let's all do so.

Agreed. He is on the PL where he belongs, Sucks for him that he will be there forever, but he was given a variety of exit opportunities and failed to secure his reputation. 

Until he finds the book or produces a sales slip or the original scans, there is really nothing more to say. 

And with that, I pledge to say no more. 

Good luck to everyone.

Edited by newshane