• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How good of a deal is too good of a deal?
1 1

373 posts in this topic

Just now, Park said:

Any one else that was mean to you that you want to have suffer while dying?

watch it! You'll be next on the list!!!

1 minute ago, Bird said:

watch it! You'll be next on the list!!!

lol

I am wondering if there is a flow chart somewhere.

I don’t like Kentucky Fried Chicken either. They are mean to birds and torture animals in factories. 

So, yeah, that Sanders guy. He’s on my list. 

Edited by NoMan

7 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Has anyone here ever found a $100,000 book for $5 in a dealers inventory or at a garage sale?

Did you tell the dealer?

LOL.

I’ll bet if we set up a hidden camera at a show and counted - put a fake $100,000 book marked at $5 as the bait - 90+% of people WOULDN’T - but that’d be okay here for some reason...

I once found a FF52 in a box of moderns priced at $1 each by a flea market vendor. I said “I don’t think this should be here”. He said, that’s the reprint. I knew some reprints were around so I figured he knew his inventory better than me. I added to my stack and later in the day I confirmed it was the actual silver age version. 

6 hours ago, kav said:

When a comic shop owner greets you with "Back again??  Thats the second time today!!!" and mocks you with the other employees you find somewhere else to give money to.

The worst is when they make fun of other customers (that are not currently there) in your presence.  You can then be 90% certain they do the same about you when you are not there.

I've been back into the hobby for only a few years now but I have recently cut down on how much I am going to my own LCS and it has paid dividends in the respect department.  If you are in there every day of the week and spend an average of a couple of hundred a week, then they almost seem annoyed, or even worse, lightly chuckle when you walk in.  On the other hand, if you only show up once a month and spend a few hundred in one transaction, you get treated much, much better and they are much more sincerely happy to see you even though you are spending less money overall.  You can also get a better bulk discount that way.  

It takes some discipline because I do love shopping for comics and my LCS is decent compared to some I have seen in other cities, but at the end of the day it is all about self-respect.  Respect yourself enough by not coming in and allowing yourself to get exposed to that and then it will not happen to you. 

10 minutes ago, Von Cichlid said:

The worst is when they make fun of other customers (that are not currently there) in your presence.  You can then be 90% certain they do the same about you when you are not there.

I've been back into the hobby for only a few years now but I have recently cut down on how much I am going to my own LCS and it has paid dividends in the respect department.  If you are in there every day of the week and spend an average of a couple of hundred a week, then they almost seem annoyed, or even worse, lightly chuckle when you walk in.  On the other hand, if you only show up once a month and spend a few hundred in one transaction, you get treated much, much better and they are much more sincerely happy to see you even though you are spending less money overall.  You can also get a better bulk discount that way.  

It takes some discipline because I do love shopping for comics and my LCS is decent compared to some I have seen in other cities, but at the end of the day it is all about self-respect.  Respect yourself enough by not coming in and allowing yourself to get exposed to that and then it will not happen to you. 

I saw a couple of the usual suspects try this on an older black male.  He said excuse me is there something funny here?  Am I amusing to you?  Because we can go outside and laugh about it.  The gulping was audible and the sheepish looks on their faces was priceless.  They werent used to that they thought they had carte blanche to mock customers.  Of course I made sure they saw me smirking.

7 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I once found a FF52 in a box of moderns priced at $1 each by a flea market vendor. I said “I don’t think this should be here”. He said, that’s the reprint. I knew some reprints were around so I figured he knew his inventory better than me. I added to my stack and later in the day I confirmed it was the actual silver age version. 

Did you make a fortune off of it??? Don't you feel bad about yourself???

Oh wait... you're not a dealer, you're a collector. Apparently that's ok.

:wink:

13 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

You recognise eventually that you are dealing with an individual with next to no empathy, and someone like me, who can often be too empathic and caring, will run the risk of being exploited if I don't pay attention and understand that polarity.  A traumatic lesson dating back to primary school, in my case.  When that predator is incapable of inflicting further abuse, for whatever reason; they might have gone out of business or there's been a more extreme development,  it can definitely feel something of a release and provide closure, although I wouldn't go as far as cheering loudly about it.

Just a restrained moving-on process, in my case.

Exactly. That's a NORMAL thought process.

I shopped there. I thought they were rude/didn't treat me fairly/had an attitude - I went somewhere else.

Saw they closed down at a later date - thought, "Hmph. That makes sense."

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:00 PM, Chuck Gower said:

Has anyone here ever found a $100,000 book for $5 in a dealers inventory or at a garage sale?

Did you tell the dealer?

LOL.

I’ll bet if we set up a hidden camera at a show and counted - put a fake $100,000 book marked at $5 as the bait - 90+% of people WOULDN’T - but that’d be okay here for some reason...

$100,000 books are kind of hard to come by. But I bet this happened a bit more when some of today's $100K books were $2-3K books like 20-30 years ago. I bought a coverless, first page missing, JIM 83 from a homeless guy (he lived in a van) who sold books and stuff from a table near my house for 50 cents along with some other early SA coverless books (the JIM 83 was the best of the group). Made me wonder what had been cherry picked before I got there because the guy said he had sold a bunch already.

Edited by the blob

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:11 AM, Chuck Gower said:

Did you make a fortune off of it??? Don't you feel bad about yourself???

Oh wait... you're not a dealer, you're a collector. Apparently that's ok.

:wink:

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:35 AM, Chuck Gower said:

My reaction to comic book store employees talking thrash (though I wasn't aware of any time it might have been directed toward ME), was usually through a dismissive thought (i.e. shaking my head and thinking, ''dorks"). I haven't ever thought in terms of beating them up, or seeing them get beat up, or certainly not KILLING them.

That all seems rather extreme to me. 

Just take your business elsewhere.

Now I realize a lot of this might be forum machismo (aka keyboard warrior) talk, but it's still a bit puzzling - in a day and age where your written words in a forum can be seen for years and years and years... What if one of these clerks DID end up jumped and beaten up? Or even worse, dead? And someone pointed to a post you'd made concerning them over that action? You could possibly be investigated or even arrested based upon that. 10 years ago the thought of that might've seemed absurd... these days though....

My advice would be a better diet, drink more water, get some fresh air, maybe some meditation exercises... it's JUST a comic book store clerk, for gosh sakes. They generally tend to be just as big a nerd as the people that come in the store. Contemplating extreme violence against them because they're smug, or even worse contemplating KILLING them or being happy they're dead, is... not a healthy psychology.

Who are these comic book employees who talk trash? Sure, I had some banter back and forth with some of the employees of my more recently closed main LCS, but it was all in good fun and I gave better than I got (let's face it, I might have issues, but I'm not working at a comic shop and living with mom....), and the owner didn't play the games, he appreciated my steady cash contributions every week. Seriously, it sounds like some of you are subjected to cruel and inhuman treatment every time you walk into certain shops. Where the heck do you live?? I live in NYC where everyone is supposedly terrible and rude and never get this. It is true, I may be a fat arse, but I look like a fat arse who can put you in the hospital, so maybe that's it. I dunno.

Edited by the blob

On 7/4/2019 at 4:37 AM, Chuck Gower said:

Exactly. That's a NORMAL thought process.

I shopped there. I thought they were rude/didn't treat me fairly/had an attitude - I went somewhere else.

Saw they closed down at a later date - thought, "Hmph. That makes sense."

Pretty sure you are supposed to confront all wrong doers and make sure they know how wrong they are. Even if they are imaginary 

Or kill them.

Not sure after reading this thread.