• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm Approaching 5,000 Posts and Would Like...
1 1

82 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, nepatkm said:

If your referring to me @FSF (not sure :foryou:

I’m not complaining, I do understand that topics come back up, not against that at all 🙂.

Just a different time, and believe me the patience on the boards is much better than it was in mid 2000’s which is a Great thing. People are able to learn more, and have more fun now, then back then. Tolerance is a good thing 👍 

As far as being afraid to post- No, just basically reserved, as many people here have more knowledge than myself on most subjects. So I save my 2c for where it may be appreciated. 

:tink:

Well your 2c is welcome on any post/thread of mine.  I don't admit to knowing everything.  That is why I am here.

I will say that I have learned quite a bit from @TwoPiece, like what not to do to get a strike. :roflmao:

Spoiler

:jokealert:

14 hours ago, NoMan said:

Fine, but understand you're asking for my input:

1. Variants are stupid. Liking them makes you look dumb, like when you turn a can of whip Cream upside down at a party and inhale it. 

2. Alex Ross is a seriously crappy artist. If I want to look at a photograph-like drawing than I'll just look at a photograph-photograph, say perhaps the works of Gary Winogrand or Stephen Shore (but not his recent celebrity stuff for Vanity Fair but his stuff from the 70s)  Also study Ed Rushe's Twenty Six Gasoline Stations.

3. 5000 posts on a comic book board in two years is seriously indicative of not getting out of the house and doing something. While I can appreciate not liking people, you still have to get out of the house. Speaking of photography and leaving the house, grab a camera (Leica M6, 28MM lens so you really gotta get close) and travel to "the other side of the tracks" in your town and start taking pictures of people and report back.

You're welcome.

1. You're stupid. 

Spoiler

plz dont report me

2. Fight me.

3. If you fight me I will leave my home to meet you.

3 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

1. You're stupid. 

Hide contents

plz dont report me

2. Fight me.

3. If you fight me I will leave my home to meet you.

i should report you so you get another strike. I'm hurt and scared. 

17 hours ago, NoMan said:

Fine, but understand you're asking for my input:

1. Variants are stupid. Liking them makes you look dumb, like when you turn a can of whip Cream upside down at a party and inhale it. 

2. Alex Ross is a seriously crappy artist. If I want to look at a photograph-like drawing than I'll just look at a photograph-photograph, say perhaps the works of Gary Winogrand or Stephen Shore (but not his recent celebrity stuff for Vanity Fair but his stuff from the 70s)  Also study Ed Rushe's Twenty Six Gasoline Stations.

3. 5000 posts on a comic book board in two years is seriously indicative of not getting out of the house and doing something. While I can appreciate not liking people, you still have to get out of the house. Speaking of photography and leaving the house, grab a camera (Leica M6, 28MM lens so you really gotta get close) and travel to "the other side of the tracks" in your town and start taking pictures of people and report back.

You're welcome.

I would highly recommend not doing # 3 (not from personal experiences or anything) but I am pretty sure you might get in trouble taking rando pics of people and might be border line stalking kind of stuff. Very creepy to see someone walking around with a pro camera taking pics of you and please don't report back we don't want these forums to get closed by the law enforcement agencies or anything like that.

15 hours ago, nepatkm said:

If your referring to me @FSF (not sure :foryou:

I’m not complaining, I do understand that topics come back up, not against that at all 🙂.

Just a different time, and believe me the patience on the boards is much better than it was in mid 2000’s which is a Great thing. People are able to learn more, and have more fun now, then back then. Tolerance is a good thing 👍 

As far as being afraid to post- No, just basically reserved, as many people here have more knowledge than myself on most subjects. So I save my 2c for where it may be appreciated. 

:tink:

I feel this, deeply. The boards used to be intimidating. I lurked for years before I even mustered the courage to sign up for an account and post. The amount of knowledge was staggering, and the desire to not look like a clueless doofus was overwhelming. I wouldn't say that it was an inviting atmosphere, however, I would say that it was rewarding to have folks grudgingly interact with you, and show you some degree of respect, as you tried to slowly gain a foothold in the larger conversation.

My advice to newbs has always been to post less and read more when they first get here, but that's just not the culture these days. We have a lot of active users who just popped up in the last year or two, and came in guns blazing, protocol be damned. And what we've seen is...it's fine. I don't know why I was ever so precious about it. Who cares? People come and go. It's a message board. We've seen a lot of wisdom leave the boards as old timers have moved on. But we've also seen less needless gatekeeping, which is also a good thing. The nature of the boards is always changing. Let it change.

2 hours ago, Krishosein said:

I would highly recommend not doing # 3 (not from personal experiences or anything) but I am pretty sure you might get in trouble taking rando pics of people and might be border line stalking kind of stuff. Very creepy to see someone walking around with a pro camera taking pics of you and please don't report back we don't want these forums to get closed by the law enforcement agencies or anything like that.

You're on a public street, your photo can be taken and is. Existing case law already supports that. If I take you're picture and sell it for a million bucks, you're entitled to nothing. Get your camera and go for it.

48 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I feel this, deeply. The boards used to be intimidating. I lurked for years before I even mustered the courage to sign up for an account and post. The amount of knowledge was staggering, and the desire to not look like a clueless doofus was overwhelming. I wouldn't say that it was an inviting atmosphere, however, I would say that it was rewarding to have folks grudgingly interact with you, and show you some degree of respect, as you tried to slowly gain a foothold in the larger conversation.

My advice to newbs has always been to post less and read more when they first get here, but that's just not the culture these days. We have a lot of active users who just popped up in the last year or two, and came in guns blazing, protocol be damned. And what we've seen is...it's fine. I don't know why I was ever so precious about it. Who cares? People come and go. It's a message board. We've seen a lot of wisdom leave the boards as old timers have moved on. But we've also seen less needless gatekeeping, which is also a good thing. The nature of the boards is always changing. Let it change.

It's my most redeeming quality, though...

I've always been a class clown. Some of the old blowhard jabronis don't seem to like it, but IDC. As my dad always says; "Lighten up, Francis". I like to have fun, and yes, absorb and distribute some knowledge every now and then.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Bullies vying for internet points!. Cool. 

33 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Bullies vying for internet points!. Cool. 

In the old days (and I'm not even here that long, only ten years now) it wasn't bullying as much as it was just that most of the heavy posters were very well versed in what they were talking about, and weren't really going to pause to let newbs get up to speed. You just sorta had to dive in.

Of course, there was at least one actual bully, probably a couple. But they're not here anymore, thankfully.