• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My LCS is Closing. I Buy One Title ... What is the Best Way to do Continue Doing This?

50 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I am very much considering that option. 

Why Richard around every month?

Why not just stop into another LCS once a month and buy off the rack? The cost of shipping one issue per month would negate any cost savings buying online. And trying to buy them all at the end of the year only works if there wasn't a hot issue that year. 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

I am very much considering that option. 

It certainly SEEMS viable. The vast majority of comics published every month aren't worth a hill of beans, and inevitably end up blown out in a dollar bin somewhere down the road. That being said, if I made this decision, my luck would be that every issue released in that year would be the first appearance of a hot new character that is set to appear in a new film, and suddenly I'd be paying through the nose. This is why I keep picking up Batman. You never know if an issue may pop. It's just as likely that I could find all of the same issues in a dollar bin at a show later in the year...but my paranoia keeps me in the game.

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Nah he does not mind that I only get one book a month.  He has known me for almost 30 years since I was a kid.  He is 72 or 73 I believe and does not want to sign a new lease.  We were sitting around watching baseball one afternoon when he told me and said that he doesn't want to be lifting comic boxes at almost 80 so he is not signing another 5-10 year lease. 

Opportunity knocks softly. Phil Seuling was a teacher.....

Edited by shadroch

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I'm still getting Batman as my only monthly at my LCS. I also get Love & Rockets which is...quarterly, maybe? And Aliens series from DH, which come out, like, whenever they feel like it, I guess. I nearly made the break with Batman at the same time I dropped Tec (before 1000 hit) but I just couldn't pull the plug. I buy them, I bag and board them, I stick them in a box. A few months down the road I actually read the story when I buy the hardcover. I guess I will do this...forever? If I didn't have my LCS (and we have at least five here to choose from in case anything ever happened to my shop) I'd probably just jump ship at this point. Having the pull folder for those few titles keeps me coming into the shop and checking out back issues and toys, which is where most of my money goes locally.

I order Love And Rockets from Fantagraphics and here and there a random issue will come autographed 

4 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Midtown is I think 15% off cover and cheap shipping... I think they have a pull program too. But Aren't there quite a few LCS on the island?

I second this.... 

Was gonna flat out suggest it but figured someone had said before I got here.

I've gone to Midtown when the LCS has sold out of something I was looking for and never been disappointed. 2c

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

Opportunity knocks softly.

Not for me.  I personally think you have to be nuts to open up a brick and mortar in Nassau County given the current climate. 

1 hour ago, mrwoogieman said:

What LCS is closing up? 

:popcorn:

I'll tell you when he makes it more public.  If he can negotiate a year to year contract he might not close up but that is not looking likely.   If you figure out who I am talking about... please keep it private for now. 

Edited by Buzzetta

1 hour ago, shadroch said:
5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Nah he does not mind that I only get one book a month.  He has known me for almost 30 years since I was a kid.  He is 72 or 73 I believe and does not want to sign a new lease.  We were sitting around watching baseball one afternoon when he told me and said that he doesn't want to be lifting comic boxes at almost 80 so he is not signing another 5-10 year lease. 

Opportunity knocks softly. Phil Seuling was a teacher.....

Phil Seuling was a genius who saw the world in ways no one else did, and more importantly, had the guts to pursue his vision when everyone told him "it'll never work!"

I mourn the fact that I never knew him or would ever get the chance to meet him.

24 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I'll tell you when he makes it more public.  If he can negotiate a year to year contract he might not close up but that is not looking likely.   If you figure out who I am talking about... please keep it private for now. 

Buzz at some point you have to say Spider Man isnt worth collecting, not even to 'complete the collection".  In my world ASM 300 was the last issue of spider man.  A full collection in my book is ASM 1-300.  And I'm being generous.  1-200 is the more logical cutoff point.

Edited by kav

4 minutes ago, kav said:

Buzz at some point you have to say Spider Man isnt worth collecting, not even to 'complete the collection".  In my world ASM 300 was the last issue of spider man.  A full collection in my book is ASM 1-300.  And I'm being generous.  1-200 is the more logical cutoff point.

Nah I’m okay with continually buying it every 2-3 weeks.  If I did not buy that book I would not be buying anything else. I have a smaller collection than most. 

17 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Phil Seuling was a genius who saw the world in ways no one else did, and more importantly, had the guts to pursue his vision when everyone told him "it'll never work!"

I mourn the fact that I never knew him or would ever get the chance to meet him.

I spent a lot of time around Phil, but never really talked to him. It was sad watching him waste away and his skin turning yellow.

12 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I spent a lot of time around Phil, but never really talked to him. It was sad watching him waste away and his skin turning yellow.

See now, and I mean this sincerely, you are someone that should write a collection of anecdotes and thoughts concerning this hobby given everything you have done over the years. 

50 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Not for me.  I personally think you have to be nuts to open up a brick and mortar in Nassau County given the current climate. 

Nah. Nuts is opening a brick and mortar in Bisbee.

6 hours ago, westerberg14 said:

I was in the same spot a month ago, with The Walking Dead being the only title I still buy regularly. Kirkman took care of that problem for me...

maybe the fact that we are only pulling one book a month has something to do with the demise of our LCS.  I have a couple others within a 20 min drive, but I hope a new one opens in town that I will try to shop at more than the old one.

Same thing just happened to me. Only modern I still get is MAD for the same reason. To keep the run going. Easier for me though because I have been a subscriber for years. One day soon, that last issue will come and it’s over. I have bought every issue since #72 myself either on the newsstand or subscription. End of an era... 

Can you subscribe to Marvel comics? If not, as been suggested get a friend to add it to their pull list for you.