• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market Nonsense?
1 1

83 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Because it doesn't matter if it sells within a time frame.  It matters to the seller if it sells for the price they want for it.  

I recently sold a book for a very strong price that had sat there for over two years.  I was fine with that because other things sold to justify keeping it there until I got the price I wanted for it.  I have a page or two of art offered at a very strong price.  The reasoning on the art is that I don't care if it sells... but IF it sells I want it to be at a price that allows me to get something cooler. 

THIS, 100%. Sometimes I might need some cash, so I'll put up auctions or Buy it Nows priced to sell. 

But for the most part, I don't HAVE to sell my stuff, and it costs nothing to list an item (I have a "store") so there's no harm in listing stuff that I'm not particularly worried about selling. You can pay my price, or I can keep it. I'm 100% fine either way. Sometimes I've gotten whiny emails from buyers who act like they're doing me a favor by low-balling. As I tell them, if you can get a copy of the book (or toy, or whatever) at the price you're offering, good for you. If you want my copy, you have to pay my price. I'm not unreasonable on pricing, my BIN's are fair, so I'm not going to take a loss on an item when I don't have to.

7 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Because it doesn't matter if it sells within a time frame.  It matters to the seller if it sells for the price they want for it.  

I recently sold a book for a very strong price that had sat there for over two years.  I was fine with that because other things sold to justify keeping it there until I got the price I wanted for it.  I have a page or two of art offered at a very strong price.  The reasoning on the art is that I don't care if it sells... but IF it sells I want it to be at a price that allows me to get something cooler. 

I posted my original art from the overtsreet premium ring guide and it was snapped up immediately and the buyer wanted the other 2 pages too.  I didnt feel bad that I probably left a lot of money on the table though.  He spent more on framing them then he paid for the pieces and they are currently hanging in his ring museum.  Thats payment enough for me.

7 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

But some listings do defy logic. For example a CGC 6.0 GI Joe #21 with an unverified Hama sig that’s been sitting at $299 (a 6.0!) for AGES. That thing will never sell. 

2 minutes ago, alexanderjk said:

But some listings do defy logic. For example a CGC 6.0 GI Joe #21 with an unverified Hama sig that’s been sitting at $299 (a 6.0!) for AGES. That thing will never sell. 

My favorite was the "3 generations of Romitas!" scribble that sat for 5 or more years at $17,999.

Dude if the 'three generations of romitas' sig were worth that kind of $$$ they would just sign a buncha stuff and become instant millionaires!!!  

There’s a small press comic I’ve been after for quite a while. It’s on eBay right now with a BIN of like $400 or more. The last one at auction sold for about $50. So I’m waiting for the next one to come up at 99 cents auction, but I’ve been waiting years. During that time a few popped up in the $300-$400 range. I think they’re all still sitting there I sold, and I don’t think anyone will ever pay that much for a copy, but these guys don’t seem to care if it sells or not

1 minute ago, dupont2005 said:

There’s a small press comic I’ve been after for quite a while. It’s on eBay right now with a BIN of like $400 or more. The last one at auction sold for about $50. So I’m waiting for the next one to come up at 99 cents auction, but I’ve been waiting years. During that time a few popped up in the $300-$400 range. I think they’re all still sitting there I sold, and I don’t think anyone will ever pay that much for a copy, but these guys don’t seem to care if it sells or not

Just try finding a copy of Horrific Romance.

Horrific Romance (1).jpg

6 hours ago, alexanderjk said:

Eventually everything sells. I have had a few times when people have said that... and then it sells. 

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:

I almost mentioned it in your boards in-joke thread lol 

Oh you totally should... as much as people know I do that just for giggles... there are many that have no clue I do that. 

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Oh you totally should... as much as people know I do that just for giggles... there are many that have no clue I do that. 

Hey,if there's a market and it makes you and the buyer happy,grab those dollars.I'd do custom wears if I knew I had buyers.No socks?No problem.

7 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Hey,if there's a market and it makes you and the buyer happy,grab those dollars.I'd do custom wears if I knew I had buyers.No socks?No problem.

I have one guy that creates new screen names for some reason and seems to buy them.  What he does not know is that he lives three blocks away from my brother.  When I told my brother that he probably is standing next to him when he goes certain places my brother just shook his head. 

Edited by Buzzetta

10 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

You just need to find a market for your soiled panties - you could make millions!

Tactical Work Cargo Pants Men Combat Quick Dry Light Weight Cargo Hiking Outdoor

14 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I can never understand the 9.9 game, get yourself a 9.6 and be happy

I will always remember buying a NM copy of Man from UNCLE from the early days of eBay, and it was about a FNVF to VF-, so I returned it.  The seller, after accepting the return, remarked, "I hope you find the perfection you're looking for."

31 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I can never understand the 9.9 game, get yourself a 9.6 and be happy

I sold a pair of Spider-man #1's in 9.9 for $1000 on 9/30/2017

This is when a 9.8 was going for $50-60.

If someone needs to pay an extra $900 for that .1 I am more than happy to take their money. 

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I sold a pair of Spider-man #1's in 9.9 for $1000 on 9/30/2017

This is when a 9.8 was going for $50-60.

If someone needs to pay an extra $900 for that .1 I am more than happy to take their money. 

thats why people whine when they dont get 9.9s they want when they submit to make that $50 book into a $1000 book.  Then they blame CGC, the world, everyone.