• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shilling

213 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Exactly

I'm prepared to listen, or I wouldn't have posed the question

Personally if I had best offer on a listing, i would have a set lower price in mind, and while I don't "think" what you were "trying" would affect me....

The relationship with buyers and sellers is tricky...

The good ones use transparency and be upfront and try to build those relationships! For repeat customers!

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Personally if I had best offer on a listing, i would have a set lower price in mind, and while I don't "think" what you were "trying" would affect me....

The relationship with buyers and sellers is tricky...

The good ones use transparency and be upfront and try to build those relationships! For repeat customers!

There are sellers who I communicate with regularly that I have met on Ebay, but I guess that is unethical too 

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

I didn't call it shilling but I called it transparency, look at the motives...

I'm not a seller, I am a buyer

I've only sold one comic.

I listed it in a 9.8 grade for $525 on facebook and I had the same comic in raw on my profile page taking into my LCS to get shipped to CGC with a price tag of $275 on the poly bag. A buyer told me about it and suggested I take the raw copy down.

I just want the best deal for myself when I buy something and I want both parties to feel satisfied.

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

I'm not a seller, I am a buyer

I've only sold one comic.

I listed it in a 9.8 grade for $525 on facebook and I had the same comic in raw on my profile page taking into my LCS to get shipped to CGC with a price tag of $275 on the poly bag. A buyer told me about it and suggested I take the raw copy down.

I just want the best deal for myself when I buy something and I want both parties to feel satisfied.

of course! You want an "edge", don't we all? It's what your willing to do to get that edge that matters... :foryou: 

26 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

They didn't post a fake best offer

Before I ever submit an offer I always open up dialogue with the seller. My friend contacted the seller and asked what type of prices they would sell it at.

I contacted the seller via message and said I'll offer you this amount are you interested?

They responded that night and said "yeah, submit the offer"

Why not just submit an offer in the first place?  I assume you don’t sell, and are strictly a buyer on EBay?  Clearly you were trying to manipulate the seller with your tactics.   Price is too high?  That’s what the best offer function is for.:makepoint:

It’s these type of shenanigans that will inevitably get you blocked on EBay.

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

of course! You want an "edge", don't we all? It's what your willing to do to get that edge that matters... :foryou: 

I think one of my worst problems is I see the world in very black and white terms, I realize there is a grey area in economics that I need to immerse myself in.

I do not feel I did anything wrong

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Exhaustingly

What is your opinion

I mean there is snipe bidding, shill auctioning ect ect

A seller shilling is absolutely unethical. I think what you were describing is a grey area. And as others have said, its probably best to avoid. Snipe bidding? That is just bidding. 

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Why not just submit an offer in the first place?  I assume you don’t sell, and are strictly a buyer on EBay?  Clearly you were trying to manipulate the seller with your tactics.   Price is too high?  That’s what the best offer function is for.:makepoint:

That's exactly what I do

But I make an offer via text message and we open up dialogue.

The first book I bought was a 9.8 ASM 361 the seller was selling it for $600 CDN I offered him $500 he responded curtly with "No" and nothing else, I responded with "no counter offer?" That opened up negotiating and we reached a settlement.

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I think one of my worst problems is I see the world in very black and white terms, I realize there is a grey area in economics that I need to immerse myself in.

I do not feel I did anything wrong

Correct! I feel knowing it is a grey area, that it's best to avoid it, it's all circumstantial and circumspect..... if you have doubts? maybe don't do it? if you don't have doubts? why pose the question?

It is better to not be left holding the stick when the carp hits the fan..... whether intentional or not. You would be prime suspect numero uno if a seller you did this to found out.....

Just think what that seller's possible reaction would be, it's a lesson in context, you've been talking to the seller's? we don't know the whole story then. The next step would be to contact the seller..... and it's just easier to avoid grey areas :foryou: 

Just now, wombat said:

Hollywood - what eactly prompted you to make this thread?

What prompts me to make most threads?

A certain poster tries to provoke me on a particular topic and I want clarification from people that have been in the business for years and years, peoples whose opinion,barring overt and or aggressive criticism, mean something to me. :tink:

11 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

That's exactly what I do

But I make an offer via text message and we open up dialogue.

The first book I bought was a 9.8 ASM 361 the seller was selling it for $600 CDN I offered him $500 he responded curtly with "No" and nothing else, I responded with "no counter offer?" That opened up negotiating and we reached a settlement.

Why are you texting EBay sellers????