• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! I bought this CGC 9.8... but isn't it really a 9.6???
2 2

27 posts in this topic

Hi fellow GCG Boardies...

Help! Here's the scoop:

1. I bought a Black Hammer 1 CGC 9.8 on eBay

2. The book that arrived has enough visible imperfections that I imagine it's more of a 9.6: (a) the top and bottom corner (on the left side are both impacted); (b) there's a tiny but easily visible "ding" along the top edge.

3. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Thanks!

Edited by Dr Carl

I literally just had an eBay return because the buyer didn't agree with the 9.4 CGC gave the book and is blaming me for not pointing it out in the listing. Said I need to send the book back to CGC to "fix the issue". People that complain like this automatically go on my bock list and ebay is the only place where a buyer can return a slabbed book for how CGC graded it, Item not described forces the return  

30 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

I literally just had an eBay return because the buyer didn't agree with the 9.4 CGC gave the book and is blaming me for not pointing it out in the listing. Said I need to send the book back to CGC to "fix the issue". People that complain like this automatically go on my bock list and ebay is the only place where a buyer can return a slabbed book for how CGC graded it, Item not described forces the return  

Kevin, I’m confused by your response. There’s no complaining here. I'm simply asking my friends on the boards if they think this book is a 9.8 or a 9.6. I own a handful of 9.8s, and none have these imperfections, so I was hoping to share my experience and learn from my fellow boardies. No offense intended. 

1 hour ago, Kevin76 said:

Would you mind sharing the ebay user's ID?  I'd like to preemptively block them.

21 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

Guess I'll be the dumb elephant in the room. But if CGC says it's a 9.8 does it matter what we think? It's a damn 9.8.

And if I had a buyer request a return because he disagreed with he CGC grade? Suck it up buddy, you bought what you paid for.

I agree. 

46 minutes ago, csaag said:

How many times has it been said here, "buy the book not the grade".

If the listing doesn't contain good enough pictures to make you feel comfortable about the grade, then either ask for better pictures or pass on it.

Yep. Should have asked for better photos. There was only one photo in the listing and I didn't see the book well enough to notice these imperfections. To be honest, I’ve bought a bunch of 9.8s and never had one with an easily visible flaw on the cover, so I didn’t even think that was possible.

4 hours ago, WPPJames said:

Guess I'll be the dumb elephant in the room. But if CGC says it's a 9.8 does it matter what we think? It's a damn 9.8.

And if I had a buyer request a return because he disagreed with he CGC grade? Suck it up buddy, you bought what you paid for.

It’s a good point, but I do wonder if it’s a complete narrative.

Say, for example, I own a nice $1K silver age book in a 9.2 CGC case. And I have it on my top shelf for display purposes, and one day I’m rearranging shelves and if falls 10 feet to the ground. I think "oh !" and notice a visible ding in a corner that's from the fall, because I know it wasn’t there before (and I'm thinking there's no way that's a 9.2 with that ding-a-roo!)...

The case still says 9,2 but the book in the case is no longer the one that was graded.

Now, I don’t like the book anymore so I decide to sell it, and take a photo that doesn't necessarily hide the flaw, but doesn't make it apparent at all.

Are we all still of the opinion that you bought a 9,2 and "Suck it up buddy, you bought what you paid for."?

This makes for interesting dialogue... I'll be curious what you think.

1 hour ago, Dr Carl said:

The official tally so far:

9.8 4 votes

9.6 2 votes

Just agree with CGC: 2 votes

You’re a jerk for even asking: 1 vote

I’m not grading, just giving you sage advice: 1 vote

A solid 4.0: 1 vote

Any more voters?

I would vote to 'Just agree with CGC' however, those defects would bother the heck out of me.  I have a similar issue with a book and whenever I take it out my eyes immediately go right to the spot that annoys me.

3 hours ago, Dr Carl said:

It’s a good point, but I do wonder if it’s a complete narrative.

Say, for example, I own a nice $1K silver age book in a 9.2 CGC case. And I have it on my top shelf for display purposes, and one day I’m rearranging shelves and if falls 10 feet to the ground. I think "oh !" and notice a visible ding in a corner that's from the fall, because I know it wasn’t there before (and I'm thinking there's no way that's a 9.2 with that ding-a-roo!)...

The case still says 9,2 but the book in the case is no longer the one that was graded.

Now, I don’t like the book anymore so I decide to sell it, and take a photo that doesn't necessarily hide the flaw, but doesn't make it apparent at all.

Are we all still of the opinion that you bought a 9,2 and "Suck it up buddy, you bought what you paid for."?

This makes for interesting dialogue... I'll be curious what you think.

The only problem I see in that scenario is that the case would definitely receive damage if it fell that far which would be difficult to hide from a potential buyer.  But it is possible to have a book be damaged in the slab and a seller not disclose that without the slab itself being damaged...just unlikely in the falling 10 feet scenario.

I'm as OCD as they come and if I buy a 9.8 and disagree with CGC's grade I don't blame the seller who sold it to me.  Instead I either keep it and live with it or I resell it later and buy one I'm happy with.  If you're not happy with it I totally understand not wanting to keep it.

Did you ask the seller before you bid/purchased for more pics of the slab before you paid for it?  I'd recommend doing that always beforehand to ensure your happiness with the book and the grade...especially for books to keep in your forever collection you know?