• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 vs. BA X-Men keys, ca. late 1980
1 1

38 posts in this topic

On 10/18/2019 at 4:36 PM, jools&jim said:

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but it's still true, and (especially for the younger folk) bears repeating, along with what I am sure is a re-post of one of many primary sources from the era (see below): for those of us who were there, the first appearance of Wolverine was pretty much a big meh back then; Claremont, Cockrum, and Byrne, on the other hand, was where it was AT, baby!  :cloud9:

MH-19801.jpg

MH-19802.jpg

Whhhhhaaaaaaaa???

But, there are people who filled pages and pages and PAGES of threads, absolutely INSISTING that Wolvie was the hottest thing since sliced bread back then, and that he was the #1 draw for the X-Men in the late 70s!

:popcorn:

On 11/6/2019 at 11:58 AM, jools&jim said:

Also note that ASM 129 isn't broken out at all, and Conan 1 outperforms them all.

The listing for Marvel Super Special 7 (Sgt. Pepper's) for $2.00 is also interesting, given that it was never published/distributed here in the US...

ASM #129 would wait another 6 years....

On 11/11/2019 at 12:52 PM, BrooksR said:

Yeah x-men 94 and giant sized 1 cost more than anything else on the page. Oh, to have a time machine...

Why does star wars 4 cost more than 2 or 3?

8 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

That's weird.

May the 4's be with you.

On 11/6/2019 at 11:58 AM, jools&jim said:

Also note that ASM 129 isn't broken out at all, and Conan 1 outperforms them all.

Yes, definitely a blast from the past and also an indication of how the demand for so-called hot books can change over the years. hm

Still clearly remember that Spidey 121/122 and Avengers 93 (big squarebound Neal Adams issue :luhv:) along with Conan 3 were definitely the hot BA books at that time as evident from the above price list, which they clearly are not anymore as they have drifted relatively far down the in-demand BA hot list as compared to nowadays.  :frown:

So much so, that I remembered having to decide between a HG copy of Conan 3 and a HG copy of FF 11 at a local convention back in the latter part of the 70's because they were both going for the same relatively high price.  Being the dummy that I was and wanting to complete my Smith run of Conan's and who really even cared about the Impossible Man, I decided to go for the Conan 3 over the FF 11.  doh!

The only saving grace at that particular convention was that I had paid a whole dollar for a minty fresh looking copy of X-Men 94 from a dealer without doing my due diligence before spotting an equally nice copy for only a a quarter (i.e. or full cover price for a used book  :screwy: :bigsmile:) on my way out the door.  Needless to say, this totally :frustrated: me right off, but after giving it some careful thought decided that I better double down on the book in order to lower my average cost for the book in order to hopefully break even one day.  :wishluck:  :whee:

On 11/17/2019 at 7:41 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, definitely a blast from the past and also an indication of how the demand for so-called hot books can change over the years. hm

Still clearly remember that Spidey 121/122 and Avengers 93 (big squarebound Neal Adams issue :luhv:) along with Conan 3 were definitely the hot BA books at that time as evident from the above price list, which they clearly are not anymore as they have drifted relatively far down the in-demand BA hot list as compared to nowadays.  :frown:

So much so, that I remembered having to decide between a HG copy of Conan 3 and a HG copy of FF 11 at a local convention back in the latter part of the 70's because they were both going for the same relatively high price.  Being the dummy that I was and wanting to complete my Smith run of Conan's and who really even cared about the Impossible Man, I decided to go for the Conan 3 over the FF 11.  doh!

The only saving grace at that particular convention was that I had paid a whole dollar for a minty fresh looking copy of X-Men 94 from a dealer without doing my due diligence before spotting an equally nice copy for only a a quarter (i.e. or full cover price for a used book  :screwy: :bigsmile:) on my way out the door.  Needless to say, this totally :frustrated: me right off, but after giving it some careful thought decided that I better double down on the book in order to lower my average cost for the book in order to hopefully break even one day.  :wishluck:  :whee:

Do u still have those 94s?  selling them?

17 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Do u still have those 94s?  selling them?

Being a long-term collector, of course I would still have them.  (thumbsu

Unfortunately, I left them all at my sister's place and when I went to check on them about 15 years ago, I noticed that one of the X-Men 94 along with the Giant Size X-Men 1 was no longer there.  Haven't done a thorough check to see if I simply misplaced them, but I figure they were probably stolen by my nephew to fund his crazed card collecting/action figure collecting phase at the time.  (tsk)  lol

Not really that big a big deal though since I figured that's the cost of free storage and the fact that those 2 books are easily obtainable as long as you are willing to spend a bit of money for them.  Now, if it had been an irreplaceable GA Centaur book with only 2 or 3 copies in the CGC census, that would have been a completely different story then.  :mad:  :slapfight:

At least it gave me the opportunity to store the remaining X-Men 94 in a better bag with an actual backing board since I figure it's probably the only one out of my entire run of X-Men 94 -150 that would be worthwhile slabbing in the end.  I was actually surprised that all of the books were still pretty much newsstand quality high grade with vibrant colors even though they had been residing in the same old poly bags for all those decades.  :whatthe:  :bigsmile:

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Being a long-term collector, of course I would still have them.  (thumbsu

Unfortunately, I left them all at my sister's place and when I went to check on them about 15 years ago, I noticed that one of the X-Men 94 along with the Giant Size X-Men 1 was no longer there.  Haven't done a thorough check to see if I simply misplaced them, but I figure they were probably stolen by my nephew to fund his crazed card collecting/action figure collecting phase at the time.  (tsk)  lol

Not really that big a big deal though since I figured that's the cost of free storage and the fact that those 2 books are easily obtainable as long as you are willing to spend a bit of money for them.  Now, if it had been an irreplaceable GA Centaur book with only 2 or 3 copies in the CGC census, that would have been a completely different story then.  :mad:  :slapfight:

At least it gave me the opportunity to store the remaining X-Men 94 in a better bag with an actual backing board since I figure it's probably the only one out of my entire run of X-Men 94 -150 that would be worthwhile slabbing in the end.  I was actually surprised that all of the books were still pretty much newsstand quality high grade with vibrant colors even though they had been residing in the same old poly bags for all those decades.  :whatthe:  :bigsmile:

So u have the better 94 or the worse copy?

5 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

With time, I've come to a better appreciation of X94's cover... I stare at it more then my Hulk 181

Nah, these are so common that they seem to show up all the time in every single auction. 

To each, their own................though personally, I would much rather prefer the racier GA covers like this one here:  :luhv:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Wings Comics #90 (Fiction House, 1948) CGC NM 9.4 Off-white pages....

or from a relative rarity point of view with only 5 in the CGC census population report, the highest graded copy by a wide margin of book like this one here from way back in 1938:  :takeit:

sta15.83a.jpg

On November 18, 2019 at 9:43 AM, bababooey said:

I believe it was a big deal at the time because 4 was the first issue that wasn't part of the movie adaption, it was new, original content. 

1-6 is the movie adaptation; #7 is the first original content. It was one of those "low distribution" rumor books.

On 11/11/2019 at 12:52 PM, BrooksR said:

Yeah x-men 94 and giant sized 1 cost more than anything else on the page. Oh, to have a time machine...

Well, if I had a time machine, I would have it set back a little further to 1940, as opposed to just 1980.  :bigsmile: