• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd McFarlane CGC Private Signing December 2019
6 6

1,036 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I collected baseball cards once, guess McFarlane didn't do any art on those...

Wonder if there will be comic art on stamps?

There already is!!! :makepoint:  :pullhair:

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Funny though, marvel did vintage postcards which I think would be cool to sign, Spiderman 1 from Todd back in 1991 

Can I just have a list of what everyone is sending in? :sumo: so that I could decide what is the rarest signature! :flipbait:

Spoiler

Seriously I thought about sending something in, had the form filled out, and all of it packed up and ready to go :) BUT I think that I'm going to pass :sorry: Hoping everyone get's great grades! ^^ 

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Can I just have a list of what everyone is sending in? :sumo: so that I could decide what is the rarest signature! :flipbait:

Hide contents

Seriously I thought about sending something in, had the form filled out, and all of it packed up and ready to go :) BUT I think that I'm going to pass :sorry: Hoping everyone get's great grades! ^^ 

I'm thinking every man and his dog will be sending in Spawn 1, Spawn 9, Spawn 300, Amazing Spiderman 300 and and Todds first work in comics so that narrows it down :baiting:

44 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

I'm thinking CGC will be busy like never before once Todd has signed all the books,  this event is gonna be huge 

There's demand due to the length of timing since his last CGC signing.  That said, it is worrisome how much CGC is injecting itself into the work of former facilitators.  

14 minutes ago, Transplant said:

There's demand due to the length of timing since his last CGC signing.  That said, it is worrisome how much CGC is injecting itself into the work of former facilitators.  

I'm going to be surprised if they met their 3 week turnaround time.  It seems highly aggressive.

8 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

I'm going to be surprised if they met their 3 week turnaround time.  It seems highly aggressive.

AND I have moderns there that have completed 11 days at "received", not to be selfish, I hope there is room for "other" books to get done too; at least, without making estimated TAT longer :) 

I agree 3 & 6 weeks seems hopeful, but we'll see! 

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

AND I have moderns there that have completed 11 days at "received", not to be selfish, I hope there is room for "other" books to get done too; at least, without making estimated TAT longer :) 

I agree 3 & 6 weeks seems hopeful, but we'll see! 

AND during the Holiday season! 

I'm late to this conversation, but has the marker ink color question been answered? Never having done the window bags before, I watched some videos and it's suggested you can request it in writing on the painters/masking tape? Not sure if TM does that...

With that said, I don't think I'm the only one debating which issues to submit. So far I think I'm submitting a couple of copies of Spawn #1, and the polybagged versions of Spider-Man #1 (1990), green and silver, as I don't think my gold issue would get higher than a 9.4. But wanted to ask the good community here, would any of you substitute 8.5(ish) copies of ASM 298 or 316 or a 9.6+ Spawn 300 (the 1:50 incentive issue)?

I'm planning to press my entire submission but still.... always a crapshoot.

22 hours ago, HerculoidZok said:

I'm late to this conversation, but has the marker ink color question been answered? Never having done the window bags before, I watched some videos and it's suggested you can request it in writing on the painters/masking tape? Not sure if TM does that...

With that said, I don't think I'm the only one debating which issues to submit. So far I think I'm submitting a couple of copies of Spawn #1, and the polybagged versions of Spider-Man #1 (1990), green and silver, as I don't think my gold issue would get higher than a 9.4. But wanted to ask the good community here, would any of you substitute 8.5(ish) copies of ASM 298 or 316 or a 9.6+ Spawn 300 (the 1:50 incentive issue)?

I'm planning to press my entire submission but still.... always a crapshoot.

I would only for my personal issues (i.e. I bought them off the stand) that I plan on keeping.  I'm not sure it's worth getting <9.8's signed as an investment is my 2c.

Edited by Xenosmilus

On 11/24/2019 at 2:02 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

Although he did not do any baseball cards, he did some non sports cards both spawn and spiderman.  He also did Pogs or his own version Spogz also know as milkcaps. He also distributed them in multiple countries and different versions.  Here are some American and Canadian examples. 20191126_002658.thumb.jpg.18d19eea2caf9c4a58fb65451392f41a.jpg20191126_002014.thumb.jpg.66349e4877ad89e430744fe09a7b73c6.jpg20191126_002027.thumb.jpg.cf4a2605f29bb9bae3210fb92a792807.jpg20191126_002038.thumb.jpg.602a38c34818725c550f489cbf27a935.jpg

On 11/24/2019 at 2:34 AM, MagicMan_2017 said:

I've had books signed by McFarlane in the past (not through CGC) and from what I'm told by the facilitator, Todd is notorious for signing in whatever ink color he feels in the moment and doesn't really pay any attention to requests for ink color preference. I sent my books in with an ask for Silver, but was told that on the actual day, midway through signing, Todd decided to switch and started using a blue Sharpie! My heart sank, as I think blue kills the look. Anyways, when I finally got my books back, I was relieved that mine made it in the silver batch. Facilitator told me I got lucky, as in the end no one can tell Todd what to do :)

That’s a bit concerning considering not all colors will look right on all covers. Some might just blend so much that you don’t even see the signature. Now I’m even more hesitant about sending any books in.

16 minutes ago, rogue14 said:
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:34 PM, MagicMan_2017 said:

I've had books signed by McFarlane in the past (not through CGC) and from what I'm told by the facilitator, Todd is notorious for signing in whatever ink color he feels in the moment and doesn't really pay any attention to requests for ink color preference. I sent my books in with an ask for Silver, but was told that on the actual day, midway through signing, Todd decided to switch and started using a blue Sharpie! My heart sank, as I think blue kills the look. Anyways, when I finally got my books back, I was relieved that mine made it in the silver batch. Facilitator told me I got lucky, as in the end no one can tell Todd what to do :)

That’s a bit concerning considering not all colors will look right on all covers. Some might just blend so much that you don’t even see the signature. Now I’m even more hesitant about sending any books in.

Well to be fair, most people who are willing to shell out the money for Todd's sig are in theory fans of his skills as an artist/creator.  Which likely means you to some extent appreciate his sense of aesthetics.  We means to MOST (certainly not all) that you trust him to sign HIS art in a way that will be aesthetically pleasing with HIS signature.  I do also admit that not all covers are equally easy to sign, and that this type of signing might work as a factory where efficiency is valued over pure aesthetics.  To that extent, maybe try to submit something with a lower degree of difficulty, no one is forcing any one person to send any specific book to get signed, there's probably at least 1000 books to choose from

1 hour ago, revat said:

Well to be fair, most people who are willing to shell out the money for Todd's sig are in theory fans of his skills as an artist/creator.  Which likely means you to some extent appreciate his sense of aesthetics.  We means to MOST (certainly not all) that you trust him to sign HIS art in a way that will be aesthetically pleasing with HIS signature.  I do also admit that not all covers are equally easy to sign, and that this type of signing might work as a factory where efficiency is valued over pure aesthetics.  To that extent, maybe try to submit something with a lower degree of difficulty, no one is forcing any one person to send any specific book to get signed, there's probably at least 1000 books to choose from

Fully agreed that efficiency likely overrides aesthetics. It reminds me also of how they handle window bags. I sent some in past with windows specifically in areas where it is away from the face or away from the title ... only to have it come back with the signature in a different spot. Made me question whether they toss the window bags in some cases. From my own experience, it seems that Stan Lee had less of a sense or concern about aesthetics or placement, as I've had some where it's right on Spider-Man's face or right on the title! Todd seems to know where best to place signatures ... only thing is the ink color may be a bit of a shoot. Not sure if it will help, but where they recommend you write "Sign Here" on the painter's tape on the window bag ... you could also write "SIGN SILVER PEN" and cross your fingers?

Just now, MagicMan_2017 said:
1 hour ago, revat said:

Fully agreed that efficiency likely overrides aesthetics. It reminds me also of how they handle window bags. I sent some in past with windows specifically in areas where it is away from the face or away from the title ... only to have it come back with the signature in a different spot. Made me question whether they toss the window bags in some cases. From my own experience, it seems that Stan Lee had less of a sense or concern about aesthetics or placement, as I've had some where it's right on Spider-Man's face or right on the title! Todd seems to know where best to place signatures ... only thing is the ink color may be a bit of a shoot. Not sure if it will help, but where they recommend you write "Sign Here" on the painter's tape on the window bag ... you could also write "SIGN SILVER PEN" and cross your fingers?

That's totally what I would do.  Do what ever you can to get the result you want.  It might not work, but at least you'll know you did all you can.