Comic Collector
2 2

78 posts in this topic

10,529 posts
13 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I'm still waiting for the other 2 threads I've started about this topic-maybe it was the psychotropic tubers?

After a bit of Googling, I discovered that it was John Constantine and a hippy character called Chester Williams who nicked a few of Swamp Thing’s tubers for their side effects.

Still my original from-memory post wasn’t bad, as I haven’t read the stories in years.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2,780 posts

What was the question again?  I just like comics, prefer to collect them raw but am not allergic to slabs, work on both runs and keys or other individual books I like, mostly buy, sell a little, what was the question again?

607 posts
3 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

Ha Ha!!!  lol

I have had this discussion before, there are distinct differences between a "Collector" and a "Hoarder", I just happen to be an avid "Collector" that is "Anal" with "OCD" which is an affliction for probably about 50% of the members of this community.  :preach:

https://www.aifc.com.au/whats-the-difference-between-collecting-and-hoarding/

My wife is a hoarder.  Not one which would qualify for the cable TV show but enough to more than get on my nerves. Anytime I'd mention about getting rid of that decades old ever growing pile of old clothes, knick-knacks etc I would get the 'yeah well what about all those comics...". 

That ended once I got a CGC box back with Hulk 181, FF 48 GSX 1, HOS 92  etc

2,263 posts
3 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I know the feeling

yeah kind of scary when your reading a book that with a tear or ripple could cost you a few more bucks and one that could be worth a few thousand.

2,263 posts
3 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I know the feeling

what was the scary book for you to thumb through

20,230 posts

Everything could be for sale. But time constraints mean I only dabble in sales. Still buying. I loke/hoard some books. But if some movie comes along and they are worth 5-30x what I paid..  I have kids to take care of and the mortgage never ends. So, I am a junior dealer who buys more (quantity) than he sells, but probably gets more $ selling in a year than he spends, at least for the last 17 or so years with a few breaks. I probably need to Mary kondo (sp?) A bit.

19,968 posts
22 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

What do you think the most valuable comic was that you read?

Action #1. At a friend's house over 40 years ago. Only read the Supe story. The rest suked. I was in awe but not impressed. I have read MANY better books since, but it was an Action #1. Something about holding a raw copy of it is hard to beat...

4,570 posts
On 11/15/2019 at 4:32 PM, Krismusic said:

what was the scary book for you to thumb through

Nothing quite as expensive as those 

that you mentioned

But ASM 300 when I was a kid

3,141 posts

I've been all the things on your list at one time or another, Hollywood. Life has a way of coming full circle...

4,570 posts
12 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I've been all the things on your list at one time or another, Hollywood. Life has a way of coming full circle...

It sure does:tink:

1,038 posts

I'm a raw collector but some books I like are tough to find that way.  When I buy slabbed, I crack them out so they can be read.

From time to time, I will sell books to fund a bigger purchase.

4,570 posts
2 minutes ago, D84 said:

I'm a raw collector but some books I like are tough to find that way.  When I buy slabbed, I crack them out so they can be read.

From time to time, I will sell books to fund a bigger purchase.

Since you are going to read the book, when buying a slabbed do you care about the grade?

I'm guessing it probably doesn't factor in?

1,038 posts
Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Since you are going to read the book, when buying a slabbed do you care about the grade?

I'm guessing it probably doesn't factor in?

I go mostly for best eye appeal for the price, so the number or even label color doesn't matter as long as the stories are complete.  I don't even mind if ad pages are missing.

As of right now, I'm focusing on Detective Comics between 32 and 98, so I'll take what I can afford.

479 posts

I used to be a low grade Marvel SA generalist, now I'm a Fantastic Four fanatic trying to collect everything FF-related. I don't buy slabbed books and I don't dabble in speculation.