• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN THE ERA OF COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET?
9 9

662 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, G G ® said:

It boggles my mind that someone would willingly pony up an extra 9 grand for absolutely nothing. If auction houses only made commission this way, then fair enough, but they charge commission on the sale to the seller, do they not?

I know this is common practice with several auction houses but it's wrong, and it could be stopped in a heartbeat if all buyers refused to play ball.

But they won't.

Imagine going into anywhere and handing over the money for a purchase, no matter what it was and being told...'Hey, you really want this item don't you? Thanks for that, but because you really want it, you need to give us 20% more!'

Most people would tell said establishment to shove it even if it was a $5 purchase.

BP......Beware, piranhas.

Gordon Gecko lives. 

meh

This is accurate

That buying premium is ridiculous!

They should have a set rate range per premium ie $100-$500 $ 50 premium $1000-$2000 $100 premium ect ect. How many people are Heritage employing on this consignment site? The premium is crazy!

19 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

How many people are Heritage employing on this consignment site? The premium is crazy!

Just one guy who deals with BP.

He is assembling a killer collection of his own just with BP proceeds. :insane:

:jokealert:

or is it?  hm

minime.jpg

8 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

Best sellers market I have ever seen by far. Not even close. I thought there was a chance to see some noticeable decline but that stimulus package was unreal. Will there be another? Crazy. 

A recent history of the comic book market. For the younger ones or late night ers. 

I have been selling comics for 30 years. Always been a sellers market though. For sure since 2012. Probably since early 2000s. Late 90s might have been a buyers market. Shops closing, nice chunk of people stopped collecting. I dunno I have always sold well but can always find a deal as well but that time was probably best in last 30 years for buying. 80s were great for buying, not sure about selling. Then cgc came out and for 5 years at least you could get unreal $ for anything slabbed. That died down. But until last few years anything cgc would get surprisingly too much $. Now it's hard to move slabbed drek it seems. 2012 everything relevant jumped up 30 40 percent. Speculation became mainstream and brought in created and still is and will continue to grow comic book speculators flippers whatever you call them. Basically anyone buying books after 2012 is paying double. A lot of old timers sold, seemed to be a good time at the time but turns out too soon on a lot of stuff. I never seen anything like this though. Used to be something was announced book went up big time. Then all it would take is a rumor. Now people just jump on stuff without even a fake rumor. I think some site names the book to spec on. Some other sites people copy and do the same. Spreads on social media and bam book blows up.

Future of market.

Right now people are home with free $. Until that stops the record sales will continue. Another stimulus would even make things crazier. Even after all this. How many people got bored, discovered comic collecting it returned to it? How many seen spec sites or videos and decided to give this a try. Unless the unemployment runs out and there is still well into double digit unemployment, we won't see a buyers market. But it is always a buyers market or a sellers market depending on the book. I buy tons. But if you have been waiting for a buyers market on tec 27 af15 action 1 you have been waiting for a long time.

Comic collectors are a special unique breed who will always find a way to seek out their sought after issues no matter what.. just like the heroes in the stories

But it's hard for new collectors entering the game because they missed the boat on cheap affordable keys like 10-20 years ago.. most keys could be had for $30 bucks.. on ebay you won't be able to get a decent fine copy for at least $100 plus taxes for many overvalued/priced keys

8 hours ago, 1Cool said:

What is the name of your e-bay store?  I'm interested what kind of books people are selling in droves.  April was great but May has been really slow with a tons of low ball buyers.

I don't have a store. I am not a big dealer or anything. Just a collector that also enjoys the speculation and selling part. Ebay is a last resort for me. I don't want to give away 13% of my $. I have built up clientele. Craig's list. Facebook. Instagram. I browse Ebay every night and any in demand key is selling easy and for more money than in 2019 for the most part. My sales have slowed big time but because all the good stuff has been sold. Market is still awesome. I just don't have any good stuff left. Probably do some digging this weekend see what I have that I forgot about. If you can't sell then you aren't priced right or dont have any good books. 

Good sellers are any x-MEN or ff keys. Avg ann 10. Ms marvel. She hulk. Miles. J Campbell. Spawn. Venom. Carnage. Asm keys. I sent out my emails and gone in hours if not minutes. 

7 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

This is accurate

That buying premium is ridiculous!

They should have a set rate range per premium ie $100-$500 $ 50 premium $1000-$2000 $100 premium ect ect. How many people are Heritage employing on this consignment site? The premium is crazy!

Do their books go for fmv and premium on top of that? Or sell for 20% less? I never bought from them. I browse and the books I see are already too much for me with 10 min of 2 hours or whatever left. I am looking for a steal though. Fmv gpa or 10 20 % less isn't gonna cut it. I wouldn't sell on them either. In my mind my book will go for 20% less. Will get 2 bidders who factor in the premium.

9 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

But it is your choice to sell to them...

Personally I think 'Keys' are selling pretty good

If you get tons of low ball offers you are priced too high or over grading or don't have a luke warm book let alone a hot one. Keys are selling great. Good in demand keys. Old news like rocket Groot starlord thanos cap 100 etc aren't flying off the shelf. 

8 hours ago, 1Cool said:

True - it is part of the current "game" when selling books.  It doesn't make it any less irritating when somebody makes an offer of $3 on a $5 book that is a steal at $5.  People seem to have a ton of time on their hands so they are using that time to try to snipe books in auction or make tons of offers on books and see if anyone is hungry for sales.  I'm just curious what books people seem to be selling like crazy over the last couple months.  I keep an eye on my own books and books that sell in my categories (Copper/Bronze/Silver) and I don't really see a huge increase in sales over the last month. 

Big keys do seem to be selling very well.

Books under $20 I don't deal with. I see them selling in crazy numbers but not for great $ or anything. I think the market is flooded with shops and dealers fighting to survive. Cant sell in shop or at cons so online everybody went. Depends what you are selling, green lantern or arrow 27 or even full run isn't all the sudden going to be a hot seller. But star wars bronze modern dark house Vader is selling great. 

Good stuff is selling better than ever. Like someone else said if you got the goods it sells. If you dont have in demand stuff you aren't seeing any difference than normal. 

1 hour ago, Myowncollector said:

If you get tons of low ball offers you are priced too high or over grading or don't have a luke warm book let alone a hot one. Keys are selling great. Good in demand keys. Old news like rocket Groot starlord thanos cap 100 etc aren't flying off the shelf. 

Groot may be "old news" but a 7.0 of TTA #13 just sold for $7,200.  That's a very strong result.

2 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

Do their books go for fmv and premium on top of that? Or sell for 20% less? I never bought from them. I browse and the books I see are already too much for me with 10 min of 2 hours or whatever left. I am looking for a steal though. Fmv gpa or 10 20 % less isn't gonna cut it. I wouldn't sell on them either. In my mind my book will go for 20% less. Will get 2 bidders who factor in the premium.

As far as I know it is mostly auctions, but I don't know if GPA adds the premium to FMV, as I said about that ASM 50 awhile back FMV was around 34k for a 9.8 and then after the Heritage auction it was 54k

9 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Groot may be "old news" but a 7.0 of TTA #13 just sold for $7,200.  That's a very strong result.

Oh they all sell. But but if you give me a dozen of them or a dozen ff48 ff5 hulk 181 guess what ones you will sell out of first. 

6 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

Books under $20 I don't deal with. I see them selling in crazy numbers but not for great $ or anything. I think the market is flooded with shops and dealers fighting to survive. Cant sell in shop or at cons so online everybody went. Depends what you are selling, green lantern or arrow 27 or even full run isn't all the sudden going to be a hot seller. But star wars bronze modern dark house Vader is selling great. 

Good stuff is selling better than ever. Like someone else said if you got the goods it sells. If you dont have in demand stuff you aren't seeing any difference than normal. 

Anything below $20 I don't list.. (just not worth it and that's not who I am lol).  I may have snuck some $15 sales the past few months but those were easy quick sales

7 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

Books under $20 I don't deal with.

39 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Anything below $20 I don't list..

download.jpg

Based on this clink auction, I would say books are selling very well. Some books took a hit early on in the virus pandemic, but it seems that has already leveled off. 

On 5/22/2020 at 4:45 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

No!

The book sold at Heritage  for 58k I have no idea the buyers premium or final hammer price...but prior to that the highest 9.8 sold for 34K (no idea where that particular book sold, so it is 2 different copies of the same book)

Just like a Jimmy olsen 134 9.8 was 4K a few months ago then a copy sold for 16K changing the FMV of the book...

Or a TMNT 1 selling for 90K when once FMV on the book was 34K

The ASM 50 sold for 58K during Covid19

Having gone back and re read my post, I should have been clearer

Where was the 9.8 SPJO 9.8 sold? I missed that. It wasn't a 4k book as Clink sold a 9.8 for 9k last year. 

17 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

Buyer's premiums confuse a lot of newer collectors, but it boils down to this:

If a book is consistently worth $1000, and it's sold directly by a dealer at a show or on eBay, it sells for $1000.

If an auction house has a 10% buyer's premium, then top bidder bids $909, and with premium pays $1000.

If an auction house has a 20% buyer's premium, then top bidder bids $833, and with premium pays $1000.

In each case the buyer still pays $1000.  It is the Seller whose take varies in each scenario.

And yes to the other question... GPA or GoCollect lists the final price the Buyer paid... in all 3 cases $1000.