• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are These the Same Book?
2 2

116 posts in this topic

@Larryw7 I'm very sorry you're having to go through this hassle, and I pray it the return goes smoothly, you get your book back quickly, and you can put this behind you. Really hate that for you, it's a lousy situation, and a real shame that so many people who love superhero comics apparently never took any lessons to heart from the good guys they portray.

Did you say the guy was located in Kentucky? As a comic buyer in KY, I'd love to know the name. You can PM if you don't want to publicly out him. The circle of big ticket buyers in Kentucky is a relatively small one, I'd bet @Dale Roberts knows most of 'em.

A word to anyone reading that may contemplate doing something shady in the future: Don't do it! You can't get away with it. The CGC Boards are home to the smartest and most determined comic book detectives in the world. We have so many lawyers, amateur sleuths, and general busybodies who love nothing better than rooting out deception. They know everything, they see everything, they will never stop picking at it, and they will hunt down the truth and destroy you. Don't do it!

7 hours ago, Turnando said:

Can you please reconsider?  The guy is a criminal.  When someone gets busted for something this big they should suffer the consequences. 

People who pull off scams of this magnitude are not committing their first scam.  This dude is dishonest to a shocking degree and has certainly shoplifted, scammed, lied, and cheated his way through life.  Please get that guy out of here. 

Another boardie is insisting that he should be in the Hall of Shame. I need to think about it, I don't want other people to get screwed by this guy.

Did Dupcak run a school for this sort of thing or something?

It's blatant out and out fraud. Getting caught and making it right just because you got caught is not particularly honourable.

People need protecting. I think it goes outside of the HOS and PL. Surely it's worthy of an outright Boards ban?

39 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I don't think there is much to think about, the guy lucidly made a decision to deal in a less then reputable way, there is only one answer

giphy-12.gif

A transaction done on the board has a paper trail for all to follow.  I've seen no evidence of anything in this thread. 

The OP should post a few of the emails showing the agreement in principle, then show the book  in question was available on ebay after the date they agreed  on. If that can be done, the seller certainly doesn't deserve the privilege of selling here. 

31 minutes ago, shadroch said:

A transaction done on the board has a paper trail for all to follow.  I've seen no evidence of anything in this thread. 

The OP should post a few of the emails showing the agreement in principle, then show the book  in question was available on ebay after the date they agreed  on. If that can be done, the seller certainly doesn't deserve the privilege of selling here. 

Didn't I already do that?

10 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Another boardie is insisting that he should be in the Hall of Shame. I need to think about it, I don't want other people to get screwed by this guy.

Considering he is a boardie and could read this anytime, I wouldnt comment further until you get you stuff back, its a shame there are people out there like this :foryou:

Yeah, you were trying to pull something over me. You told me you had a raw X-Men 1 that you had in Kentucky. That it needed to be shipped. It's obvious that you didn't have the copy and went on eBay to find one. Then you claimed it was never graded, and you purchased it raw from a dealer who told you it was unrestored. All lies. I mean, you try to roll me by buying a book that has three corners trimmed? That's the kiss of death for many collectors, if I ever wanted to sell it I'd be lucky if could get two grand for it. As for saying I enjoyed the book: Yeah, it was an X-MEN 1. What's not to like? But I didn't know if was a mutilated copy. But something did seem off, and that's why I decided to do a bit of research. I was really saddened by what I found. And several other collectors confirmed it.

Well, I have no idea what to do. This was a private trade so I have no recourse to eBay or PayPal. And sorry, but at this point I have no reason to trust you. From this point on, I'll buy only CGC books, and raws from people I know I can trust(Bob Storms, Jim Payette, etc.). As for you, I belong to the biggest Comics forum on the internet. This will be made public there.

Sincerely,
Larry

On May 26, 2020

I actually have multiple copies of xmen 1, but this one definitely presents the nicest. And we both know it's hard to value comics, you told me you wouldn't expect to get anywhere near the 8000 you paid originally out of it. We both valued them less than that for insurance purposes. I'm sorry that you're unhappy with the deal now, as it seemed you really enjoyed the book while you read it. I know you've been collecting a long time and keep your books in great shape, but the fact that you told me you handled and read the xmen 1 leaves me a little concerned. If you're that unhappy I guess we can try to work something else out.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 4:40 AM, Lawrence Sutliff

Ben,

I was really disappointed to find out that the X-Men you sold me was restored and is trimmed on three sides. I guess that's why it took so long for the book to arrive, you were buying it while we were negotiating. Man, if you had to lie to me, couldn't you have least gotten me a better copy? Now I'm high and dry while you have an 8,000 copy of Showcase 4. Thanks alot. People like you give the hobby a bad name.

Larry
P.S. Here's the link to the auction, so please don't try to deny it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/x-men-1-1963-first-prof-x-cyclops-beast-iceman-marvel-girl-angel-magneto-/202778335966hash=item2f3687dade3ag3aosuaaosw--9dfdjsredirect=mobilenma=truesi=gmm5nxd7m1fzukju4unxz0crbvo253dorig_cvip=truenordt=truert=nc_trksid=p2047675.l2557

what does this guy have as far as posts here?  I counted 13 total--- 11 as the migration version in 2015 and 2 as the current guy in the other thread.

Did anyone ever follow up on the Action 23 situation? It seems like most of the posts were along the lines of "how to best cheat the system and get away with it".

I would never deal with this person- few ever probably will for that matter (knowingly). I bring the point up about the total number of post because clearly they either have multiple accounts on here, only using the snake oil ones to ask the devious questions and possibly been dealing with everyone else using another account. It seems hard for me to believe these fake/mysterious accounts aren't the handiwork of someone who knows these boards very well.

All in all-- glad that @Larryw7 got his trade reversed. I blame the entire situation on the sellers deception. What I cannot figure out is how this originated in ebay and then became something private. On that note-- I sort of blame the buyer for working the trapeze without a safety net.

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

what does this guy have as far as posts here?  I counted 13 total--- 11 as the migration version in 2015 and 2 as the current guy in the other thread.

Did anyone ever follow up on the Action 23 situation? It seems like most of the posts were along the lines of "how to best cheat the system and get away with it".

I would never deal with this person- few ever probably will for that matter (knowingly). I bring the point up about the total number of post because clearly they either have multiple accounts on here, only using the snake oil ones to ask the devious questions and possibly been dealing with everyone else using another account. It seems hard for me to believe these fake/mysterious accounts aren't the handiwork of someone who knows these boards very well.

All in all-- glad that @Larryw7 got his trade reversed. I blame the entire situation on the sellers deception. What I cannot figure out is how this originated in ebay and then became something private. On that note-- I sort of blame the buyer for working the trapeze without a safety net.

I think Larry should have avoided this situation but gosh darn we've all done dumb things in our lives.  I suspect he'll be a lot more careful in the future.

hope I didn't shock anyone with my gosh darn...