• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tmnt 1st print 9.4 restoration
2 2

22 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

With that book I'd look into having the color touch removed

You won't be able to have that color touch removed without completely removing the affected area (instead of scraping it).  C-1, according to CGC's resto scale, translates to "Poor, Slight" and for color touch that typically means its bled all the way through the cover.  So to remove all of it they literally have to scratch all the way through the paper which is probably not what you want.  However, since it does say small amount, it could be an option.  It really depends on where it is and how large the crease was they CT'ed.  If its just a couple of small creases you may be able to get a 5.0/6.0 out of it. 

Edited by comicquant

2 minutes ago, comicquant said:

You won't be able to have that color touch removed without completely removing the affected area (instead of scraping it).  C-1, according to CGC's resto scale, translates to "Poor, Slight" and for color touch that typically means its bled all the way through the cover.  So to remove all of it they literally have to scratch all the way through the paper which is probably not what you want.  

It doesn't hurt to have a professional look into the removal to see if it can be done....that's all I was suggesting

12 hours ago, ghn999 said:

What do u think the value is on this comic? It not worth over 10g because of the restoration. Maybe alot lower. What a bummer!

TMNT first print was the kind of book that didn't even have prices set in the price guide for a while due to the price constantly fluctuating. It`s the kind of book that sets a new market value everytime the hammer falls, so I think you;r best bet if you were to sell it would be to do an auction. 

15 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Ugh, then you would be trading in color touch you can't see for a piece of the black cover scraped off. Hard pass. 

This! 

Scraping off the color touch will reduce the grade anyway,  likely negating the value increase. 

But worse, it is scraping away the cover and doing far more damage than the initial restoration. 

I get that in some situations it can raise the value, but it's not good for the book.  I imagine as it becomes more understood, the market will punish resto removal. 

2 minutes ago, ghn999 said:

I'm torned on what to do. Do I really want a blue label or a purple label. I don't think a purple label will go up in value. 

The book is rare enough that it will go up in value regardless, at its own rate. And I am confident that a 9.4 with resto would be worth more than a 7.5 blue label (which is what this could get if you remove that kind of resto on a copper age book). 

3 hours ago, ghn999 said:

I'm torned on what to do. Do I really want a blue label or a purple label. I don't think a purple label will go up in value. 

If it's just for your personal collection then I wouldn't do anything to it...if you're looking to sell it off then, like I said I'd look into seeing if removal is possible

1 minute ago, Deadpoolica said:

If it's just for your personal collection then I wouldn't do anything to it...if you're looking to sell it off then, like I said I'd look into seeing if removal is possible

It's going back to CGC! I'll keep you guy updated. Thanks for all the response!

On 6/12/2020 at 10:28 AM, ghn999 said:

I don't think a purple label will go up in value. 

My experience would say you are incorrect. I have owned lots of purples, and they went up as much as blues did. Sometimes more, if you can either buy them right or hold them long enough.

That said, CCS is excellent at determining whether it's worth your while to remove resto. So it's definitely worth sending back for them to evaluate. At the very least, you're only out the prescreening and postage.