• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Hindsight.  They made the right decision for the 300 cover.  It was a milestone 300 issue and nobody knew Venom would become iconic.  It also turned out to be one of the most copied cover ever.

***Having said that, if McFarlane did the 316 cover for issue 300 it would have been pretty cool

:hi: long time no see, glad to see you post :headbang:

3 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Hindsight.  They made the right decision for the 300 cover.  It was a milestone 300 issue and nobody knew Venom would become iconic.  It also turned out to be one of the most copied cover ever.

***Having said that, if McFarlane did the 316 cover for issue 300 it would have been pretty cool

You’re absolutely right.   Was kinda wondering why 300 wasn’t Venom, but your post answers that question for me. (thumbsu

2 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

They could have had the cover with the 300 printed across in white but instead of having spider-man inside the circle it could have been something like.... a close up of Mary Jane's eyes with the reflection of a smiling Venom approaching. That way they commemorate the anniversary and pump the new character at the same time. I'm not sure it's really hindsight since they typically had new characters make the cover. Nobody knew Punisher and Wolverine would explode either but there they were. But anyway none of that is to imply the cover is lousy not by a long shot! It is a glorious cover, just wuda worked better on 301 ;)

5 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

They could have had the cover with the 300 printed across in white but instead of having spider-man inside the circle it could have been something like.... a close up of Mary Jane's eyes with the reflection of a smiling Venom approaching. That way they commemorate the anniversary and pump the new character at the same time. I'm not sure it's really hindsight since they typically had new characters make the cover. Nobody knew Punisher and Wolverine would explode either but there they were. But anyway none of that is to imply the cover is lousy not by a long shot! It is a glorious cover, just wuda worked better on 301 ;)

And now you’ve got me questioning why Venom isn’t on there again....:insane:

hm

Gotta be the Anniversary factor.  No one cares about 129 & 181 as an issue number.

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

3 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

And now you’ve got me questioning why Venom isn’t on there again....:insane:

hm

Gotta be the Anniversary factor.  No one cares about 129 & 181 

FF50? What if Surfer ended up being a dud of a character?

Edited by MGsimba77

2 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

There’s no celebration of a 50th anniversary (shrug)

457DA3B3-299C-4DC4-8D6F-BDB3BB99A347.jpeg

Well no but 50 was still considered an important issue at the time or not? They clearly thought ASM 50 was without spelling it out.

1 minute ago, MGsimba77 said:

Well no but 50 was still considered an important issue at the time or not? They clearly thought ASM 50 was without spelling it out.

Why wasn’t kingpin on the cover?

4 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Why wasn’t kingpin on the cover?

Because Kingpin was still not known or seen before 50. Maybe they wanted people to open up the book? Besides, he was splattered on 51. 

Edited by MGsimba77

16 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Because Kingpin was still not known or seen before 50. Maybe they wanted people to open up the book? Besides, he was splattered on 51. 

Was Punisher known before his 1st appearance?:ohnoez:

13 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

The implication being the people at Marvel expecting more of their consumers to be readers than they did in 1987. I'm pretty sure they expected the pages of 300 to rarely see the light of day.

9 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Was Punisher known before his 1st appearance?:ohnoez:

lol....no but that was a one off story without a chance before 134 to have him on the cover so it made sense to keep Kingpin under wraps in 50 since that was a longer storyline. Whatever...were waaaaay :signofftopic: at this point anyway. I just think Venom on 300 would of kicked assets!

12 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

:hi: long time no see, glad to see you post :headbang:

I tried several times to log back in but my password/username would be incorrect.  Change of email address, blah, blah, blah...became too much of a hassle.  Then I looked at my CGC collection and realize everything on Ebay was going bananas.  Decided to needed to make another effort to get back on the forum LOL.

***Very happy to be back

On 5/1/2021 at 7:31 AM, Hollywood1892 said:

301 value is purely because of the cover in my opinion 

:bigsmile: I bought mine because of the cover. It is aesthetically pleasing, especially next to 300. The white cover with the green circle pairs well with the red, white and blue on Spider-Man. And I like how McFarlane added extra webbings underneath his arms.

image.png.1f344c9928bb9b8b3ee2bf46e2f20e1d.png

image.png.8d138d12676840eb0ccd09b303aac329.png

On 2/13/2021 at 2:21 PM, Greatwhite said:

So, is 361 the next 300?

Hope you were buying 361's when you said this but... no. IMO ofc.

Venom has become a big anti-hero which is why he can anchor a franchise. They could never redeem Carnage enough to do that. Hero 1st apps >>>>>>> villain 1st apps with few exceptions. Venom's on fire because Cates finally made the anti-hero stuff that Marvel has been trying to force since the 90's make sense and people accept Venom as a hero now. IMO Carnage can't ever get there with his origin and backstory, but he does have an awesome design and can be a more popular villain than he has been. Doesn't have close to ASM 300's ceiling because of the hero vs villain 1st app thing IMO