• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stumped on an X-men 4 opinions appreciated
1 1

23 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

I'm most concerned about that back cover UR corner, which looks like there may be a spot of... water damage, maybe? There's something going on with the paper texture there that puts me ill at ease.

Tentative 5.5, but make sure there's not more wrong in that corner than the photo suggests.

this is one of the things I am concerned about...

3 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

this is one of the things I am concerned about...

Do you have that book in hand? In the picture, that corner stain looks to have a sort of white, powdery texture near its center. Not to put too fine a point on it, but my concern is that may be a white mold (if so, probably some Aspergillus species). You may be able to use a very low illumination angle to see whether there's actually a raised substance there; if so, you have a problem (and, needless to say, this isn't a 5.5 book at all).

1 minute ago, Qalyar said:

Do you have that book in hand? In the picture, that corner stain looks to have a sort of white, powdery texture near its center. Not to put too fine a point on it, but my concern is that may be a white mold (if so, probably some Aspergillus species). You may be able to use a very low illumination angle to see whether there's actually a raised substance there; if so, you have a problem (and, needless to say, this isn't a 5.5 book at all).

I do not- but will grab it in a moment- thanks

7 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

It doesn’t look like any staining in the book- and I don’t see anything raised but not sure what I am looking for- 

323A6F69-867D-4367-B157-7AAF73C69525.jpeg

6CEA7E27-9169-41BC-B5CB-479A54234560.jpeg

5CAB071C-7CFF-4CD9-90EB-262248A04B01.jpeg

My concern from the corner picture in your first post was that there appeared to be a somewhat circular white (noticeably whiter than the surrounding paper) area with a powdery appearance in the center of the maybe-a-water-stain. It's ... less visible in the new set of pictures, but it's really hard to tell remotely.

This type of surface mold sometimes has a slightly raised texture, which you can see with really low-angle lighting. For example, dim the ambient lights, and hold a flashlight nearly parallel to the book. If there's raised growth, you'll be able to see the shadows. Of course, not all molds develop in that manner, and honestly, if this was my book, what I'd want to do is get that corner under sufficient magnification to make sure that nothing is (or has been in the past) growing on it there.

3 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

My concern from the corner picture in your first post was that there appeared to be a somewhat circular white (noticeably whiter than the surrounding paper) area with a powdery appearance in the center of the maybe-a-water-stain. It's ... less visible in the new set of pictures, but it's really hard to tell remotely.

This type of surface mold sometimes has a slightly raised texture, which you can see with really low-angle lighting. For example, dim the ambient lights, and hold a flashlight nearly parallel to the book. If there's raised growth, you'll be able to see the shadows. Of course, not all molds develop in that manner, and honestly, if this was my book, what I'd want to do is get that corner under sufficient magnification to make sure that nothing is (or has been in the past) growing on it there.

Thanks for the info

I saw that spot and thought it looked like slight paper loss in that area. Any texture to it at all? From the pix, I'm thinking 5-5.5 with those couple odd flaws dragging it down, as it looks to have the spine and gloss and flatness otherwise-overall condition of a 6 or better. 

Looks like one of those books that if it ends up in a slab, people say about it "presents well for the grade."

25 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I saw that spot and thought it looked like slight paper loss in that area. Any texture to it at all? From the pix, I'm thinking 5-5.5 with those couple odd flaws dragging it down, as it looks to have the spine and gloss and flatness otherwise-overall condition of a 6 or better. 

Looks like one of those books that if it ends up in a slab, people say about it "presents well for the grade."

Hey Gene, Thanks for checking in.. no paper loss , slightly rough like water at one point in the spot but does not stain the book as I showed in the second set of pics... Your thoughts are what is stumping me because the gloss spine etc are great! the book feels like a much newer comic in hand . Even the corner crease blends well. 

Thanks for all the responses and respondents but I think you confirmed my fears. When I bought it online I was hoping with a press and some cleaning it would be an upgrade on the 5.5 I already have.. but my hopes were dashed!! Unless a get a great grader whenever I send it in! lol

1 hour ago, TC33 said:

Hard to get above 5.5 even on a good day with the size of that lower right crease, but it still presents nicely! 

This is where I am.  With the medium crease LRFC I would expect this to go no higher than a 5.5.  With the small stain URBC and the possible color breaking crease LLBC it would maybe be a 4.5 or 5.0?  Depends on if CGC looks at accumulation of defects or just defect which would lower it most, which hasn't been clear to me in the past.  That said it really presents much higher than 4.5 or 5.0.