CGC graded sportscards won't be CGC - they'll be CSG...
2 2

62 posts in this topic

1,682 posts
2 hours ago, Iconic1s said:

I hope they eventually move into non-sports as well. I have a ton of DC chase cards I collected through the’90’s that I’d love to get graded. 

I too hope that they do start accepting non sports as well, although I hope these are CGC like they have done with the playing cards so they have a similar look to the comics and display well together.  I do not really care for the looks of these CSG labels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27,794 posts

I have a few cards that I had graded by SCG when they were grading cards in person at Hofstra University around 10 years (?) ago.  I would consider sending my Jordon rookie to CGC but I would want to see how they compare to PSA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
744 posts
12 hours ago, Shockmaster said:

I hope this is a preliminary look. The labels could look better but I'm excited for this.

Yeah, I agree ~ I hope it's a prototype of sorts lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,192 posts
8 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I had to go digging... so I am hoping one of you guys could school me... 

I am under the idea that PSA is still top dog... where does Beckett rank?  Where does SGC rank?  I attended a sports card show almost ten years ago at Hofstra University where SGC was doing on site grading.  I brought my Jordan card with me.  Is it best left in an SGC holder?  Is it best transferred to PSA?  Wait for CGC?

The other Jordan card was considered a rookie card of sorts at some point as it was printed in 85. 

Also is pressing still a thing with cards?  How will CGC take note of that? 

Those good ole Hofstra sports cards shows.  I used to go to those all the time as a pre-teen/teenager growing up in the early to mid 90's.  

I don't follow cards anymore as closely but I do check into the blowoutcard forums every once in a while.  That would be your best bet for information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,670 posts
Posted (edited)

If CSG is different then CGC will it have its own website and Registry?

Edited by Xenosmilus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
702 posts

PSA still rains supreme.  Beckett screwed themselves when they said they would grade cards laser cut from sheets by collectors.  Beckett also screwed themselves with their crazy big card holders.  The space 3,000 PSA cards take up would likely be less than a 1,000 Beckett holders.

Beckett grades a ton of modern stuff but anything before the trading card boom is done by PSA.  If done by Beckett you can likely assume it was a card cut from a sheet.  
 

I have a massive amount of PSA cards and I don’t see CGC making in roads into sports.  I will be avoiding them.

 

It would be cool if they focused on non-sport cards as I think PSA/Beckett could be taken over in that segment of the market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
702 posts
15 minutes ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

C'mon...The most important PSA card is a SHAM!

Pssst...it's trimmed  goldblum.png&key=6601f5eb294e40b6c4c4edf

 

T206-HonusWagner (PSA8).jpg

www.forbes.com/sites/davidseideman/2016/09/22/a-heinous-crime-may-be-lifting-a-1-8-million-honus-wagner-card-now-up-for-auction/amp/

Yes and the story is above for those who are interested.  (The trimmer did spend 20 month in jail due to his shady practices). There are plenty of people trying to get by all the grading companies in each hobby and there are too many stories of those who do.

Is PSA perfect - no.  But neither is Beckett or CGC or PSE. All are legitimate though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
725 posts
10 minutes ago, david20009 said:

www.forbes.com/sites/davidseideman/2016/09/22/a-heinous-crime-may-be-lifting-a-1-8-million-honus-wagner-card-now-up-for-auction/amp/

Yes and the story is above for those who are interested.  (The trimmer did spend 20 month in jail due to his shady practices). There are plenty of people trying to get by all the grading companies in each hobby and there are too many stories of those who do.

Is PSA perfect - no.  But neither is Beckett or CGC or PSE. All are legitimate though.

Pssst...The most expensive modern Baseball card & most expensive VINTAGE/modern Basketball card is in a....BGS holder!

vqMPslN.png&key=06a57a22179af871d9762730

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,931 posts
11 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I had to go digging... so I am hoping one of you guys could school me... 

I am under the idea that PSA is still top dog... where does Beckett rank?  Where does SGC rank?  I attended a sports card show almost ten years ago at Hofstra University where SGC was doing on site grading.  I brought my Jordan card with me.  Is it best left in an SGC holder?  Is it best transferred to PSA?  Wait for CGC?

The other Jordan card was considered a rookie card of sorts at some point as it was printed in 85. 

 

Also is pressing still a thing with cards?  How will CGC take note of that? 

 

IMG_8956.jpeg

IMG_8957.jpeg

IMG_8958.jpeg

I cannot think of a single reason to send in a Jordan rookie card to CGC. PSA is #1 in the hobby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
702 posts
5 minutes ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Pssst...The most expensive modern Baseball card & most expensive VINTAGE/modern Basketball card is in a....BGS holder!

vqMPslN.png&key=06a57a22179af871d9762730

You did see where I said “Beckett grades a ton of modern stuff but anything before the trading card boom is done by PSA.  If done by Beckett you can likely assume it was a card cut from a sheet.  

The numbers don’t lie PSA has graded many many multiples the amount of pre-boom cards than Beckett.  Beckett focuses on modern cards.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27,794 posts
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, david20009 said:

PSA still rains supreme.  Beckett screwed themselves when they said they would grade cards laser cut from sheets by collectors.  Beckett also screwed themselves with their crazy big card holders.  The space 3,000 PSA cards take up would likely be less than a 1,000 Beckett holders.

Beckett grades a ton of modern stuff but anything before the trading card boom is done by PSA.  If done by Beckett you can likely assume it was a card cut from a sheet.  
 

I have a massive amount of PSA cards and I don’t see CGC making in roads into sports.  I will be avoiding them.

 

It would be cool if they focused on non-sport cards as I think PSA/Beckett could be taken over in that segment of the market.

And SGC... I am interested in if it is worth transferring the Jordan rookie to a PSA holder.   How does SGC currently rate against PSA and Beckett?

Edited by Buzzetta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
302 posts
1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

And SGC... I am interested in if it is worth transferring the Jordan rookie to a PSA holder.   How does SGC currently rate against PSA and Beckett?

SGC is mainly for collectors and don't get anywhere near the $$$ that PSA and Beckett gets. SGC with the old grading scale go for even less. People don't want to pay the extra money to get them reholdered with the new grading scale or crossover  to another company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27,794 posts
31 minutes ago, Shockmaster said:

SGC is mainly for collectors and don't get anywhere near the $$$ that PSA and Beckett gets. SGC with the old grading scale go for even less. People don't want to pay the extra money to get them reholdered with the new grading scale or crossover  to another company.

So, you recommend sending Jordan to PSA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
302 posts
6 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

So, you recommend sending Jordan to PSA

If you're planning to sell, yes if you have the patience for it. I heard their turnaround times are a bit long now. If you're planning on keeping it, then that's a toss up. I have a soft spot for the old SGC and I like the black insert. I have a ton of old grade SGC cards that I'm planning to crossover to some company and I may wait to see what CGC's new company is going to be like. I'm a set builder and was planning to build some early 80's baseball sets with SGC grading. But the changes with the new grading scale ruined that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27,794 posts
33 minutes ago, Shockmaster said:

If you're planning to sell, yes if you have the patience for it. I heard their turnaround times are a bit long now. If you're planning on keeping it, then that's a toss up. I have a soft spot for the old SGC and I like the black insert. I have a ton of old grade SGC cards that I'm planning to crossover to some company and I may wait to see what CGC's new company is going to be like. I'm a set builder and was planning to build some early 80's baseball sets with SGC grading. But the changes with the new grading scale ruined that.

No intention of selling it.. so I will put it back in the box then. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2