• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Dylan Still Trying to Scam People with Restored Books?
6 6

404 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Kevin76 said:

I saw a Detective 71 on his wall at the NH show, First thing I did was look at the staples and asked "Have these staples been replaced"?  The book was graded a 3.0 with a sticker price of $2450.  Guy calls over Dylan (Didn't realize it was his booth) He comes over and he said he guarantees all his books are unrestored. He takes the book out of the mylar and starts thumbing through it. I said "Awful lot of foxing spots on those pages, How's the centerfold"?  He gets to the centerfold and the pages are literally becoming detached in front of my eyes, So I said "Look those Staples are touching each other and they look awfully clean. The staples were thicker than I've seen on most golden age books and they don't touch each other completely like these did. "It has white pages" he says  I said yeah I see that. Those don't look like golden age staples though, He said  "But It has white pages" I said "forget it, I don't want it" He started raising his voice trying to justify it and I walked away from him.  Few hours later towards the end of the show he comes over to the booth I was at and said "Hey, I checked it with another golden age book and the staples are the same" I said " I still don't want it" he said something else and I told him again "I don't want it"  and he walked away...I was like God, no wonder people give him a hard time, he's annoying.  

as a guy who has replaced a lot of staples-for my own reading purposes and not on valuable books-everything you describe shouts 'replaced'.  

1 hour ago, Kevin76 said:

I saw a Detective 71 on his wall at the NH show, First thing I did was look at the staples and asked "Have these staples been replaced"?  The book was graded a 3.0 with a sticker price of $2450.  Guy calls over Dylan (Didn't realize it was his booth) He comes over and he said he guarantees all his books are unrestored. He takes the book out of the mylar and starts thumbing through it. I said "Awful lot of foxing spots on those pages, How's the centerfold"?  He gets to the centerfold and the pages are literally becoming detached in front of my eyes, So I said "Look those Staples are touching each other and they look awfully clean. The staples were thicker than I've seen on most golden age books and they don't touch each other completely like these did. "It has white pages" he says  I said yeah I see that. Those don't look like golden age staples though, He said  "But It has white pages" I said "forget it, I don't want it" He started raising his voice trying to justify it and I walked away from him.  Few hours later towards the end of the show he comes over to the booth I was at and said "Hey, I checked it with another golden age book and the staples are the same" I said " I still don't want it" he said something else and I told him again "I don't want it"  and he walked away...I was like God, no wonder people give him a hard time, he's annoying.  

He sounds an awful lot like a UK Dealer we all know or have heard about. Anyone care to guess who I am talking about?

This could literally be him with the MO.

Love this comment as he replied to negative feedback on ebay. I guess he does have a tipping point to be motivated to scam. 

Reply by dylanauctionsLeft within past month.
Mailed same book, using actual scans so impossible claim. plus no motive on $50

12 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I subscribed to his eBay newsletter.  Can't wait to get one! 

A few months before all this shady hee-hawing came to light with Dylan's auction, I had mentioned I won a slabbed book from him.  Ever since then, I have continued to receive the message below.  I would just delete it and move on but it because annoying.  I searched and could not find a way to block a seller from sending messages although one possibility was to notify Ebay of harassment.  A lot of trouble and I am not sure this is what they construe as harassment. 

I could have contacted Dylan directly but when I started becoming really annoyed with the message, the shinola had hit the fan and I really did not want direct communication.

I think I found the solution which was to add him to my blocked buyer's list as I think that prevents the ebayer from sending messages to you regardless of being a seller or buyer. 

Here is the message I had continued to receive:

New message from: dylanauctions Top Rated Seller(3,942Red Star)

FREE STUFF!!!!!!!!!!

OK I GOT YOUR ATTENTION, & THIS WILL TAKE 30 SECONDS MAX TO HELP

Thank you very much for bidding on and winning comics. I'd really appreciate it if you added me as a saved seller. Doing this 30 second appreciation helps to keep going and well during all the madness in the world, which matters to you because you love comic books and are a good person.
Here's how to help (requires ZERO money to create positive change) :

Step 1: Click on any item from DylanAuctions (you can achieve by clicking my username right here and on any item)

Step 2: Please move the mouse to the right, to DylanAuctions username but don't click.

Step 3: Go a little below (just a drop) to the heart sign where it says ""Save this Seller"" and click the heart.
It's quick, easy and helps a good cause! (and protects against vampires but only a little)

As a reward for adding me, I'd like to offer you $5 off your next DylanAuctions order (expires August 1st), When requesting your invoice/or before you checkout please message the code: $5FROMDYLANCOMICSJUL2020 and we will take off $5 absolutely free!

-Thank you & stay well as always,

Dylan (Age 20), Hulk, Spider-Man, Scooby-Doo, Batman, & a Blue Skeleton that lives under your bed-no not really but that would be kinda cool AND really really scary.

19 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

It's really sad in such a peaceful and awesome hobby like comic collecting that you have people who knowingly do wrong to others

It's certainly true that there are a LOT of honest, decent, totally cool collectors and dealers in the comic community, many of them on these boards! But I'd say I know just as many who are greedy, lying thieves who would step on their own grandmother to land a great ripoff deal. A lot of folks who collect superhero comics apparently never read them or learned anything from them about doing the right thing.

Of course I'm sure it's the same in ANY hobby. Once you introduce real money into a field, the gloves come off. 

Glad we have many stand-up folks here. Keep fighting the good fight!

3 hours ago, telerites said:

New message from: dylanauctions Top Rated Seller(3,942Red Star)

FREE STUFF!!!!!!!!!!

OK I GOT YOUR ATTENTION, & THIS WILL TAKE 30 SECONDS MAX TO HELP

Thank you very much for bidding on and winning comics. I'd really appreciate it if you added me as a saved seller. Doing this 30 second appreciation helps to keep going and well during all the madness in the world, which matters to you because you love comic books and are a good person.
Here's how to help (requires ZERO money to create positive change) :

Step 1: Click on any item from DylanAuctions (you can achieve by clicking my username right here and on any item)

Step 2: Please move the mouse to the right, to DylanAuctions username but don't click.

Step 3: Go a little below (just a drop) to the heart sign where it says ""Save this Seller"" and click the heart.
It's quick, easy and helps a good cause! (and protects against vampires but only a little)

As a reward for adding me, I'd like to offer you $5 off your next DylanAuctions order (expires August 1st), When requesting your invoice/or before you checkout please message the code: $5FROMDYLANCOMICSJUL2020 and we will take off $5 absolutely free!

-Thank you & stay well as always,

Dylan (Age 20), Hulk, Spider-Man, Scooby-Doo, Batman, & a Blue Skeleton that lives under your bed-no not really but that would be kinda cool AND really really scary

An auto-message like that A: screams for attention, B: is beyond sad and disturbing, and C: totally more than annoying.  I'd block immediately if nothing else based on the last section because who wants to imagine this guy as an oddly described weird blue scary skeleton in the first place, especially a weird blue scary skeleton under your bed. :ph34r:  I mean there're a bajillion comedians currently who are out of work and this guy is trying to be funny lol 

21 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I appreciate that you've dealt with this guy and like him but I can't understand why you're giving him a pass or any benefit of doubt.  He's well aware of the problem and he continues to try to profit from the situation rather than act honestly.  He's a slime ball.  A big one.

Isn't CGC well aware of the situation but continues to slab restored books in a blue label? How many formerly purple labels have been resubmitted? Why go after the street level dealers when the distributors are the ones pushing this garbage?

3 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Isn't CGC well aware of the situation but continues to slab restored books in a blue label? How many formerly purple labels have been resubmitted? Why go after the street level dealers when the distributors are the ones pushing this garbage?

I really cannot believe you posted this.  Doesn't matter if CGC made the mistake.  You notify them and return it.

4 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I really cannot believe you posted this.  Doesn't matter if CGC made the mistake.  You notify them and return it.

Is it a mistake, though? CGC has made a decision not to isue these books in purple labels. Evidently, they can only afford two types of paper for the labels, blue and yellow. CGC has created this situation.  Suppose you return the books? What will the new label be?

You go after both. If any books went out like this after CGC was aware this was an issue that isn't just a "mistake". That is negligence. And of course anyone who gets a book back like this should send it back. Dylan is on a whole different level of fraud in that he actively took advantage of this issue. 

10 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Is it a mistake, though? CGC has made a decision not to isue these books in purple labels. Evidently, they can only afford two types of paper for the labels, blue and yellow. CGC has created this situation.  Suppose you return the books? What will the new label be?

Bill,  this is an error that I know they are aware of when a book is restored and the customer selected a custom label.  The book should not have gotten a custom label,  it should have been given a Purple label.  

I've already spoken to them about it on the phone,  I just emailed them.  

You comment that CGC has made a decision not to issue these books in purple labels is not true.  

I am sure there is a way to programmatically prevent a restored book from getting any label other than a restored label, regardless of what the submitter selected. This way the software catches errors like this that the graders may be unaware of when grading the book. 

This loophole is not making the whole process look good at the moment. 

32 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Purple of course, but with no character label.