• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are the days of hyper masculine movies over?
4 4

50 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, wombat said:

That already sounds better than the last one. 

Lol - I think Momoa was a good cast as well as Lang but the plot was atrocious , other than the gratuitous nudity ... it made Conan the Destroyer look like a great film , much the same way I thought Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was bad ... THEN I saw The Crystal Skull ...

Edited by Old_Man_Adam

57 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Lol - I think Momoa was a good cast as well as Lang but the plot was atrocious , other than the gratuitous nudity ... it make Conan the Destroyer look like a great film , much the same way I thought Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was bad ... THEN I saw The Crystal Skull ...

Deep down I'm not sure I ever got over Conan the Destroyer. 

1 hour ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Lol - I think Momoa was a good cast as well as Lang but the plot was atrocious , other than the gratuitous nudity ... it make Conan the Destroyer look like a great film , much the same way I thought Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was bad ... THEN I saw The Crystal Skull ...

Momoa has a good look but is a horrible actor. He has played the same character In every movie/TV series since Stargate  Atlantis! The only thing I liked him in has been GoT personally (he didn’t have much dialogue).

Edited by Xenosmilus

49 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

I'm sure missing seeing fantastic movies like Rambo and Commando with fantastic actors like Schwarzenegger and Stallone. :roflmao:

Hey man, Predator is arguably one of the greatest sci-fi action flicks of all time.

6 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Hey man, Predator is arguably one of the greatest sci-fi action flicks of all time.

Can’t argue that , it’s a rare mix breed of sci -fi and pure action which isn’t dystopian , post apocalyptic or futuristic ... it’s ( was ) present day and if you can understand how bad these former soldier , present mercs are and that they are actually frightened , that says a lot about why they are up against ... plus it’s rife with epic one liners 

1 hour ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Can’t argue that , it’s a rare mix breed of sci -fi and pure action which isn’t dystopian , post apocalyptic or futuristic ... it’s ( was ) present day and if you can understand how bad these former soldier , present mercs are and that they are actually frightened , that says a lot about why they are up against ... plus it’s rife with epic one liners 

You nailed it! I hate dystopian movies!!!!

10 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Now this is MY definition of hyper masculine!!! Lol I love the “air” arm wrestling!! No comedy, just pure bad a...

FYI I don’t look like either of them😂! But that’s way I love it!

That’s good but this is one of my favorite testosterone dripping scenes.

13 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Now this is MY definition of hyper masculine!!! Lol I love the “air” arm wrestling!! No comedy, just pure bad a...

FYI I don’t look like either of them😂! But that’s way I love it!

I was sixteen when I saw this movie when it came out.  There was so much testosterone dripping off the screen from that movie that I went from being bare chested with no hair on my chest to looking like bigfoot in the span of 2 hours!

True story.

I would have to say things have balanced out a bit, people want to see a more realistic hero that they can relate to, for example "Beverly Hills Ninja". The first time I watched it I said to myself "Yeah, that could be me swinging around giant fish and eventually taking down bad guys, just as long as I take my heart medication first!". Well they still have The Rock and he is hyper masculine I guess.

Sure. But I'm not sure the end of the era of "hyper-masculine" movies is a bad thing.

I had this discussion with a friend 8 years ago - he was pissed that Liam Neeson was considered a big action star following Taken, The Grey, etc.

The Rock can still open movies - as can Vin Diesel (w/ Fast and the Furious, at least) but both have shown greater range as actors in other work - and Liam Neeson stars in more pure action films than either.

I watched all three Expendables films. I'm good there, thanks. Much rather see more Fast and the Furious (which are now Ocean's 11-style multi-ethnic heist films) flicks.

And Mission Impossible: Fallout was the best pure action film I've seen this decade. That says something.

Edited by Gatsby77

On 9/11/2020 at 7:16 PM, Old_Man_Adam said:

I joined the US Army for two reasons 

1) GI Joe

2) Predator 

22 hours ago, Grails said:

I joined the Marines because of Aliens. I was disappointed. 

u5n3cradkmcq1h2wqoho.0.thumb.jpeg.43a12b2d0b75578c71223616e605b9ec.jpeg