• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My experience with fractional ownership of comics: JIM #83 / $215,000
3 3

444 posts in this topic

On 3/4/2021 at 11:10 AM, Gman65NJ said:

Time to stir the pot again...have added to my Rally holdings...

FF1 and 5 (46% funded in first hour of ipo) and DD1. The FF5 is a 9.2 at a $80k valuation.

(but I spent more than all that combined at my LCS yesterday.) #diversification

678F6C4B-271E-4839-B4E3-C3CB8E0FEA4C.jpeg

70D3457C-C4CD-4B77-812A-0F3045526FF6.jpeg

8430F7A6-E7C5-4323-8D91-5084C8DFCBB4.png

The valuation on the FF1 could be a bargain when compared to the current bid on the HA 9.0 copy

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 7.45.18 PM.png

On 3/4/2021 at 10:10 AM, Gman65NJ said:

FF1 and 5 (46% funded in first hour of ipo) and DD1. The FF5 is a 9.2 at a $80k valuation.

Oh man, “IPO” is definitely not the correct term.  How many “IPOs” allow you to buy a portion of a company (stock) while others are buying 100% of the company (other collectors are buying whole books in the same grade as your “IPO”)?

When I invest in Apple, there is no way for someone else to discover another Apple Inc. that they own 100% of in their basement tomorrow. Therein lies the fundamental difference.

On 3/4/2021 at 1:10 PM, Gman65NJ said:

Very cool. I got myself some XPEV stock.

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:
On 2/25/2021 at 7:51 PM, valiantman said:

True, but I'm in it because I love these books and want them in my collection, even if it's a small part.  The "steeper hill for comics to climb" isn't a problem when I wouldn't even own these books any other way.  My 30+ year collection gets to 40+ years pretty easily if I'm in no hurry.

my concern is that the book(s) are "not" in your collection...you don't own them, you can't hold them, you can't show them off or enjoy them....so this then becomes strictly about investment and not collecting? imo

Not entirely, but there is truth in that.  I can't own a high grade Amazing Fantasy #15 and owning a reprint or beater copy isn't very satisfying. 

Somewhere between high grade ownership and nothing, I would legally own a tiny fraction of a high grade Amazing Fantasy #15... legally being the key aspect, because I have paperwork, proof, even more proof than what I have for stock and bitcoin, which I also own and can't hold, show off, or enjoy.  99.9% of the world can't own Amazing Fantasy #15 either.  There isn't any other alternative besides disappointment.

3 minutes ago, speedcake said:

100%

it has nothing to do with collecting. Its purely a profit motive.

I’d like these books in my collection, too. But the actual book; not a jpeg.

I can get a jpeg for free off google. 

Does everything you own have to touch your fingers for you to get "pleasure"?  No stocks?  No crypto?  No mutual funds?  

You may have a particular fetish.  No judgement... just sayin'.

Edited by valiantman

Just now, mattn792 said:

• An investment in an Offering constitutes only an investment in that Series and not in the Company or directly in any Underlying Asset.

An investment in one item is not an investment in RallyRd as a company, and it is not legal to invest in the asset directly, only to invest in the Series (LLC) which owns the asset.

Similar to how an ex-wife never invested in half the house, she just had legal claim in the marriage... so she gets half the house.

5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Does everything you own have to touch your fingers for you to get "pleasure"?  No stocks?  No crypto?  No mutual funds?  

Every comic book I own has to touch my fingers, yes. if I want to invest in stocks, I buy stocks. I don’t care about them beyond what they can do for me financially. 

There is nothing fetishized about it 🙄

1 minute ago, speedcake said:
8 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Every comic book I own has to touch my fingers, yes. if I want to invest in stocks, I buy stocks. I don’t care about them beyond what they can do for me financially. 

There is nothing fetishized about it 🙄

So, there's no point in believing that the biggest key issues of all time in comic books are worth investing in?  Just $100?  Everyone MUST separate the idea of "investing" in books worth $50,000+ from "collecting" books worth $50,000+, when they'll never own a book worth $50,000+?

Makes sense...

... in the 20th century.

I have a feeling most of the guys replying in this topic either

- don't like the idea that comic books should be seen as investments, which means they're actually arguing with Bob Overstreet circa 1970

- don't like the idea that they can't touch a comic book they don't legally have the rights to handle, which means they have some kind of fetish (no judgement)

- don't like any investment that isn't traditional, which means they aren't in the 21st century yet

- don't want any fine print to say they don't actually own the word "THE" on the 4th page, 2nd panel, but instead own a fraction of an LLC which owns a single asset, a comic book that isn't subdivided in any way

- don't feel like putting $100 into a digital "asset" of any kind, in which case the NFT market at $250,000,0000 (so far) would blow their everlovin' minds and they need to avoid the news at all costs

- regularly buy $50,000+ comics outright and don't know what the rest of us peasants are even talking about, we should just spend our extra $50,000+ and buy the full comic, right?

- other - it's not something they can really put into words, but they definitely don't like it, and they don't want anyone else to like it, which means they should get off this board and become a lawmaker

lol

Edited by valiantman

I didn’t say that. But if I want to invest in a comic, I’ll just buy the whole thing. And if I can’t afford the comic, I don’t buy it.

Comics aren’t companies that generate wealth. Companies that buy comics and sell me pieces of those comics aren’t generating wealth for anyone but themselves, no?

2 minutes ago, speedcake said:

I didn’t say that. But if I want to invest in a comic, I’ll just buy the whole thing. And if I can’t afford the comic, I don’t buy it.

Comics aren’t companies that generate wealth. Companies that buy comics and sell me pieces of those comics aren’t generating wealth for anyone but themselves, no?

So, if you couldn't afford Action Comics #1 at $1,000 decades ago, and since Action Comics #1 can't generate wealth like a company, it would have made no sense to own 10% of that comic when it was $1,000 because you would have lost money now that it's worth half-a-million? hm

Yep, $100 in totally legit ENRON stock was definitely the better choice.

Edited by valiantman

Just now, D84 said:

Calling it a fetish to want to touch the comic is a passive aggressive attempt to demean those who disagree with you. Throwing out "no judgement" does not change that.

Your comics are getting lonely with your hands on the keyboard.  No judgement.

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I have a feeling most of the guys replying in this topic either

- don't like the idea that comic books should be seen as investments, which means they're actually arguing with Bob Overstreet circa 1970

- don't like the idea that they can't touch a comic book they don't legally have the rights to handle, which means they have some kind of fetish (no judgement)

- don't like any investment that isn't traditional, which means they aren't in the 21st century yet

- don't want any fine print to say they don't actually own the word "THE" on the 4th page, 2nd panel, but instead own a fraction of an LLC which owns a single asset, a comic book that isn't subdivided in any way

- don't feel like putting $100 into a digital "asset" of any kind, in which case the NFT market at $250,000,0000 (so far) would blow their everlovin' minds and they need to avoid the news at all costs

- other - it's not something they can really put into words, and they don't like it, and they don't want anyone else to like it, which means they should get off this board and become a lawmaker

lol

You’re missing my biggest issue. Trusting the companies and individuals who you are giving your money to.  It’s the smell not the touch fyi.