• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 Rookie Card sells for big money!
4 4

323 posts in this topic

I was talking to a friend yesterday who doesn't collect comics or anything related and mentioned the hulk 181 card selling for 4k and his face lit up. He went to his closet and came back with 3 shoeboxes full of 90s comic cards he said he got back then for fun.

None of the current hot ones were in the boxes, but if he had cards like that as a non collector, it is not a good sign for the long term values of the market for comic book cards. 

10 minutes ago, HotKey said:

I was talking to a friend yesterday who doesn't collect comics or anything related and mentioned the hulk 181 card selling for 4k and his face lit up. He went to his closet and came back with 3 shoeboxes full of 90s comic cards he said he got back then for fun.

None of the current hot ones were in the boxes, but if he had cards like that as a non collector, it is not a good sign for the long term values of the market for comic book cards. 

Everybody has a million of of those cards. That's why I'm dumping everything on eBay now

I used to buy X-Force 1's for 25-30 cents, and for a while was getting a steady $5-$10 each for the Deadpool version, and I felt GUILTY about it! Now I just feel dumb for not holding longer.

I remembered a friend telling me he’d found a stash of his old collectibles at his mom’s house a few years ago so I gave him a call to see if he still had them because of what’s going on. He told me he still has them over there and was unaware of the craze with the market with cards since he’s only been concentrating on the funko pops (which I myself can’t stand) but I know where he’ll be spending any profits he makes off the long stored away cards.

2 minutes ago, Rip said:

It seems to be carrying over to most everything non-sports 70's to early 90's. From 1991 unopened GI Joe boxes, to Turtles cards you name it. Its gone super nova.

Yeah, the feeding frenzy on Marvel is calming down (though not totally fallen off. Marvel 1990 sets still selling for about $200-$250, and much more if they include some or all of the holograms; the Stan Lee card is still red hot. The "rookies" of Spider-Man in black outfit, and Venom, still seem to be strong as well. ) but everything else is taking off. DC Cosmic cards that I had in my eBay cart for $15 a box, just a month and a half ago, are selling for $100 a pop. I had some boxes of the Vertigo wide cards in my cart, $17 a piece, and I was planning on eventually picking them up and looking for the Death Skydisc. Now those boxes are $99 each. It's insanity.

With the Marvel cards specifically, folks are getting smarter and expanding their search. For instance, I think some have figured out that the 1991 Toy Biz X-Men toys all came with a Marvel Universe 1990 trading card, that is the same on the front, but has a Toy Biz logo on the back, making it a variant. Those Toy Biz cards are moving in singles and sets, and most of that original series of Toy Biz X-Men figures have been hoovered off of the bay. The interesting thing is that the very first wave of X-Men figures, all of the figures came with a card of their character, except for Cyclops, who was about 50/50 his own card, or Apocalypse. I remember waaaaaaaay back in the days of the action figure price guide magazines, the Apocalypse card "variant" sold for a bit more. But now they're all gone.

After that initial wave, the figures were reissued with RANDOM Marvel Universe cards, but I think the cards still had the Toy Biz variation on the back. So there are a seemingly endless array of cards to hunt down there, as there's no rhyme or reason to which card was included with which character. So, if you can find a Deadpool card with the Toy Biz logo, you might have something, but the Deadpool figure himself usually didn't have his own card. It's odd.

I'm meeting a guy tomorrow to pick up a big card collection. Hoping we can squeeze at least another week or two out of the insanity.

Just an example, recently I picked up an 89 Topps Turtles sealed set for $15. Now I see it going for about 10X that.
GI Joe Impel 91 Boxes going for $45 weeks ago are hitting $150-$200.

A PSA 10 Snake Eyes (card 41) went for $250 which will be a steal compared to the next one.
I even see the Jim Lee X-men boxes going for a nice chunk of change.

PSA Star Wars cards I sold a week ago going for double+.
PSA Star Wars cards I bought last week are going for double+.

Edited by Rip

4 minutes ago, Roger66 said:

Don't feel dumb please  - it is that "would have, could have, should have" sad angry mindset that we all have at some point in collecting that drives the market up and up and up.  There was a guy I heard about who held all his decades old comics until he was in his mid 70s.  He finally sold them all and gave all the proceeds to his many grandkids for college.  We can be that guy if we want or we can live our lives now by selling, buying and trading our collectibles as we see fit with no looking back and no remorse.  If not we can all hold our stuff until the end is near. My 2 cents. :preach:

Ah, thanks, I don't REALLY beat myself up about stuff like that. I save the real shame for the stuff like the Walking Dead 1 9.8 that I let go for $900, the Tec 880 9.8 I sold for $250, and on, and on, and on, and on...

As my wife likes to remind me, "You were happy with the money at the time!" And I was! But I also enjoy complaining. It's my second biggest hobby.

Edited by F For Fake

5 minutes ago, Rip said:

Just an example, recently I picked up an 89 Topps Turtles sealed set for $15. Now I see it going for about 10X that.
GI Joe Impel 91 Boxes going for $45 weeks ago are hitting $150-$200.

A PSA 10 Snake Eyes (card 41) went for $250 which will be a steal compared to the next one.
I even see the Jim Lee X-men boxes going for a nice chunk of change.

PSA Star Wars cards I sold a week ago going for double+.
PSA Star Wars cards I bought last week are going for double+.

That's nuts about the Joe cards. I've been a Joe collector most of my life, and those cards have ALWAYS bee worthless. The 1991 set came out at a time when GI Joe was definitely winding down as a pop cultural institution, so I don't think they sold particularly well. I'm sure the main driver here is as you've pointed out, the Snake Eyes card. Snake Eyes has always been the most popular Joe, in the toys and the comics, and there's a new Snake Eyes movie coming out. 

It seems like people are just throwing darts at random pop culture icons and hoping they hit a bullseye.

I was checking out some box openings on youtube and got nostalgic for the Marvel Masterworks cards. I had full sets of several different years, and I'd love to have complete sets of those again but there is no way I'm buying them right now. If by some ridiculous miracle this is the new normal for Marvel cards and other non sports cards then oh well. But I can't see this keeping up. It came out of nowhere and feels incredibly artificial.

1 hour ago, Roger66 said:

Don't feel dumb please  - it is that "would have, could have, should have" sad angry mindset that we all have at some point in collecting that drives the market up and up and up.  There was a guy I heard about who held all his decades old comics until he was in his mid 70s.  He finally sold them all and gave all the proceeds to his many grandkids for college.  We can be that guy if we want or we can live our lives now by selling, buying and trading our collectibles as we see fit with no looking back and no remorse.  If not we can all hold our stuff until the end is near. My 2 cents. :preach:

Reminds me of the episode “Gather Ye Acorns” from Amazing Stories

My brother used to collect cards while I collected comics. I thought cards were dead now. Is it just comic book cards that are hot or have sports cards suddenly become a darling again? The reason I ask is because I couldn't give a hoot about cards so am not in the know.