• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X men 1 problems and advise. $5500 price tag
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Hello everyone I have an opportunity to buy and x men 1 from a friend. The price has been 5500 for about a year now and I have said no in the past due to its problems. But now the book is blowing up and I'm revisiting it for the same price.

There are a couple major problems. the spine is split and is barely holding on to each staple. The paper going under the staple is broken connecting the back cover but still attached to the front. I need to consider it detached because it could at any moment.

Next, there is pen tracing iceman and beast. It has bled through the cover to the inside cover. Seems some people think this will get a restoration grade but I'm not sure. Seems to me it won't because it's pretty obvious it was done by a kid and definitely doesn't make the book look better.

Last, some say the book looks trimmed but if I compare images of other online this one looks like it was printed off center.

You can see the bottom of Magneto's cape and this ends up leaving off the comics code box at the top. As for side to side. Iceman is visible in the price box.also the magneto vs x men box near the spine is not being cut off like other copies. This leads to beast and marvel girls hands appearing to be cut off.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this and the price. I think the book looks great other than these issues and I would hope for a grade of 2 or 3? And hopefully not purple...

Thanks in advance!

PXL_20201007_210036878.jpg

PXL_20201007_210108518.jpg

PXL_20201007_210115115.jpg

PXL_20201007_210118745.jpg

PXL_20201007_210226079.jpg

PXL_20201007_211212884.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20201007_211220832.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20201007_211722218.jpg

PXL_20201007_210958132.jpg

PXL_20201007_210924893.jpg

the cover doesn't look completely split to me? Looks like it has some splitting there below the bottom staple. If you are considering it detached and even partially split, along with the other issues and overall look of the book I'd agree with 1.5 or so. It presents decently well, there aren't any pieces missing or big rips or super ugly flaws.

As for price, I don't think 5,500 is crazy to ask for this copy based on the market right now. But it seems a little like you are asking us to talk you into buying it, and that's a troubling feeling.

IMO, it's better to not have a big book that I'm unhappy with just for the sake of having it.  

If that isn't the case, if this is the book for you and you wanna have it for a long time, then go for it!

30 minutes ago, speedcake said:

IMO, it's better to not have a big book that I'm unhappy with just for the sake of having it.  

Agree. This isn't exactly a rare book. For that kind of money, better to be patient and wait for the "right" copy.

@Math Teachermaintained discipline when looking for a copy of AF 15 and that worked out for him.

I'd buy it. It's a lot nicer looking than most lower grade copies and presents very well. When I see lower grade copies of this book the spine is usually beat and that red background on the lower right fc is usually always faded, chipped, or heavily creased. 

From what I see the cover is still attached so I'm gonna say 2.5-3.0. This is a book that will always go up and it seems like it's a fair asking price. 

Edited by Mars76

Thank you everyone. It's not a rare book but finding one at this price is tough. Seems like there going up by the week. Yea after checking the spine is not completely spilt. 

This one that sold recently didn't get a purple so it gives hope. I think this marker is way worse.

Screenshot_20210304-081941.png

On 3/4/2021 at 10:39 AM, Jonathanarthurg said:

There are a couple major problems. the spine is split and is barely holding on to each staple. The paper going under the staple is broken connecting the back cover but still attached to the front. I need to consider it detached because it could at any moment.

There's a big difference between a detached cover and a book with a completely split spine...