• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk #181 NM Raw Sold on Ebay recently
2 2

55 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

lol everyone thinks they've hit the jackpot and the seller is taking advantage of their greed.

$15700 usd is an awful lot to risk. I would spend that and get a cgc9.0 maybe a 9.2 from a reputable seller.

some people have to much money.

4 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

This is not the same achievement it used to be. Unfortunately Ebay not only now allows sellers to just pick up the phone and have ebay negative and neutral feedback removed/scrubbed, but they also try to encourage canceling refunded transactions, which is almost an auto feedback stop/removal. 

I worked hard for my 100% positive (no skewed/removed/altered ) this new age of feedback policies just spits in our faces and distorts perception.  

It's not as easy as you say it is.  I had a buyer leave me negative feedback on something that was clearly their fault and it took quite a few phone calls and emails to get eBay to remove it.

7 hours ago, BrntWS6 said:

That seller has over 8,000 reviews with 100% feedback.  

ebay feedback is meaningless if the seller knows how the feedback system works and how to manipulate it.  We've seen many dishonest sellers, going back many years, who have great feedback.  Generally they will quickly return your money if you initially disagree with their grade to avoid negative feedback and if you submit to CGC for grading it'll be too late to leave feedback by the time you get the book and the bad news back.

Where do you think these sellers are getting all these miraculous high grade books?  They're buying nice looking graded copies, cracking them out and reselling at higher grades.

12 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

It's not as easy as you say it is.  I had a buyer leave me negative feedback on something that was clearly their fault and it took quite a few phone calls and emails to get eBay to remove it.

I only know what I have seen from other sellers. I have not had to remove any feedback nor have I even had to make that call, but I do know a few sellers I have added to my blocked list, that I did leave negative for very valid and earned reasons that were scrubbed.

This BeatleBlueCat guy cracks me up...possibly the biggest shill bidder I've ever seen and makes no attempt to hide it. Every auction I've ever seen of his has numerous bidders with the vast majority of their bidding activity, often 100%,  on just his items...and most with dozens and dozens of retracted bids. Disgusting that it's so obvious yet eBay does nothing :facepalm:

8 minutes ago, Inhuman Fiend said:

This BeatleBlueCat guy cracks me up...possibly the biggest shill bidder I've ever seen and makes no attempt to hide it. Every auction I've ever seen of his has numerous bidders with the vast majority of their bidding activity, often 100%,  on just his items...and most with dozens and dozens of retracted bids. Disgusting that it's so obvious yet eBay does nothing :facepalm:

Yeah, he is obviously doing it himself.  

On 4/7/2021 at 2:57 AM, thehumantorch said:

Avoid this seller.  And always ask yourself, why would a seller sell a NM + copy raw of this book and leave many thousands on the table rather than get it graded?  And then continue on and ask yourself, why does this guy sell many many high grade copies raw?  If it's too good to be true it ain't true.

This always comes into my mind when looking at raw comics especially now for the prices realized for keys. Yes, it takes extra time and effort to get them graded but the extra ROI more than outweighs that IMHO. Others obviously disagree and will take a chance on getting the NM copy for below FMV. 

2 hours ago, rexinnih said:

This always comes into my mind when looking at raw comics especially now for the prices realized for keys. Yes, it takes extra time and effort to get them graded but the extra ROI more than outweighs that IMHO. Others obviously disagree and will take a chance on getting the NM copy for below FMV. 

Personally, I don't particularly want slabbed books. You can't line them up in the box with all the other issues of the run, which causes distress for me. And without that particular tic, I probably wouldn't have been drawn to collecting in the first place. Runs must stay together, or chaos ensues.

2 hours ago, rexinnih said:

Unfortunately there are a lot of buyers who don't understand how risky it is to buy expensive comics raw.  And they look at the seller's feedback and figure the seller is legit.  

35 minutes ago, Pat Thomas said:

Personally, I don't particularly want slabbed books. You can't line them up in the box with all the other issues of the run, which causes distress for me. And without that particular tic, I probably wouldn't have been drawn to collecting in the first place. Runs must stay together, or chaos ensues.

Understandable.  I'd suggest you try to buy locally where you can examine the books or learn as much as you can about restoration and inspect every book carefully when it arrives.  There's also nothing wrong with buying graded books and cracking them out and keeping the grading label in the mylar.

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

Understandable.  I'd suggest you try to buy locally where you can examine the books or learn as much as you can about restoration and inspect every book carefully when it arrives.  There's also nothing wrong with buying graded books and cracking them out and keeping the grading label in the mylar.

I'm pretty well versed in the methods people use to repair books. I've been in and out of the hobby since the mid 70's.

4 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Unfortunately there are a lot of buyers who don't understand how risky it is to buy expensive comics raw.  And they look at the seller's feedback and figure the seller is legit.  

TBH, i could well be one of those potential naive buyers. I initiated this post with thought that the winning bidder has got a great deal, after seeing the seller's abundance of 100% positive feedback. 

Edited by SkyJuice

16 minutes ago, SkyJuice said:

TBH, i could well be one of those potential naive buyers. I initiated this post with thought that the winning bidder has got a great deal, after seeing the seller's abundance of 100% positive feedback. 

A google search of the eBay seller’s name and the word eBay is also always a good idea.  

and yes, there are lots of collectors out there doing their thing who don’t know what’s going on and the dirty tricks buyers and sellers are paying.  There’s just too much money involved now and some people will anything for a fist full of dollars