• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How long until you Marvel guys come to the DC Darkside because you can't afford to collect your own publisher's books?
5 5

85 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Kripsys99 said:

Tongue in cheek. That said, I am - at the same time - jealous of the valuations some Marvel books are receiving in the current market, and glad that most DC titles (even keys) are still going for prices which are accessible to many actual collectors (myself included). Given that I think most of us like titles from both publishers - and simply gravitate more towards one than the other - are any of you Marvel die-hards shifting to DC given today's price climate? 

I’m a Marvel loyalist and certainly can’t afford the big keys. However I’m really happy collecting at the mid key range of around max $350

of course the big keys are special but it’s certainly not all about them for me. 

As a tried and true Marvel guy, there are definitely some DC characters and books that appeal to me, but I’m not ready to escalate my collecting mania to that degree. 

To paraphrase George Carlin on the curse of being bi-sexual: “Can you imaging wanting to (buy) every (book) you meet?”

9 hours ago, Kripsys99 said:

Tongue in cheek. That said, I am - at the same time - jealous of the valuations some Marvel books are receiving in the current market, and glad that most DC titles (even keys) are still going for prices which are accessible to many actual collectors (myself included). Given that I think most of us like titles from both publishers - and simply gravitate more towards one than the other - are any of you Marvel die-hards shifting to DC given today's price climate? 

No, they aren't. Zombies are single-minded (or less).

DC HAD THEIR CHANCE WITH SUPERMAN AND BATMAN MOVIES!  The problem with DC is that there bench is weak.  It's like the Bulls of the 90s...  JORDAN AND PIPPEN made an unbeatable team.  They retire and you have bottom of the standings languishing for years

Edited by god503

5 hours ago, The lips said:

However I’m really happy collecting at the mid key range of around max $350

of course the big keys are special but it’s certainly not all about them for me. 

Yeah, this is a really good point that I think is lost on a lot of the new/speculative collectors. There are lots of awesome books - with great stories, and/or covers, and/or twists - which don't contain "first appearances", character deaths, etc. And some of these books are in much shorter supply than some of the major "keys".

Wait.... DC is affordable keys? Batman 251 is a nosebleed book, and it's not a key. Batman 232, MGA 80, HOM 174, Swamp This 1, HOS 92. Across the board Dc has exploded. So I am unsure of any logic of going to DC to save anything? My guess would be you are going to keep seeing the carousel of High Price over VALUED keys from Marvel due to speculation from the movies and tv shows. And honestly, the true Marvel keys that have "exploded" were dirt cheap prior to shows (Ex: Daredevil 1, Strange Tales 110, FF 48/49).

1 hour ago, Old Fashion PB and J said:

Wait.... DC is affordable keys? Batman 251 is a nosebleed book, and it's not a key. Batman 232, MGA 80, HOM 174, Swamp This 1, HOS 92. Across the board Dc has exploded. So I am unsure of any logic of going to DC to save anything? My guess would be you are going to keep seeing the carousel of High Price over VALUED keys from Marvel due to speculation from the movies and tv shows. And honestly, the true Marvel keys that have "exploded" were dirt cheap prior to shows (Ex: Daredevil 1, Strange Tales 110, FF 48/49).

I think Batman 251 is an extremely important issue, even if not a "key". While nowhere near Joker's first appearance, it may as well be, as the version of the character it presents differs so wildly from any version presented in the preceding decades, and establishes the core traits of arguably the most recognized comic villain of the next 50 years. There are 2,750 copies of 251 in the census, and the last 9.6 sold on eBay went for a little less than $5k at the end of March 2021. A similar 9.6 sold for $3.5k in 2018 - a relatively modest increase factoring in the recent price craziness. Batman 232 is the first appearance of a popular villain, there are 2,800 in the registry, and a 9.8 sold this month for $6.25k - 9.8s were going for over $5k at the beginning of 2019. I'm not saying that DC is immune to the current market climate, but it sure seems more resistant than Marvel, and even important DC books seem a lot more accessible to average collectors.

I watched Very Gary's latest episode on YouTube late last night and he showed that Madame Xanadu's first appearance from 1977 tripled in price recently- it was (I believe) $377 in 9.8 a year ago and now it's $1000 (!!)... I find this completely flabbergasting and the very definition of "speculation" since apparently it's tied in to J.J. Abrams announcing a Justice League Dark series for HBO Max.

The comics I mostly regret selling over the years were my Golden Age Joker covers and first appearance of Two-Face. I kind of wish I had just kept most of them and added the other villains first appearances like Penguin and Riddler after I finished college in 2007. The prices didn’t crazy on a lot of those for until a number of years later.

4 hours ago, Old Fashion PB and J said:

wasnt that like a $10 book a few years ago?  I remember going thru books to list on ebay and that one wasnt worth listing.

I started getting back into collecting around 2011/2012 and I was going to pick up books I had always wanted from Marvel AND DC. At first I picked up a few DC books I always wanted, which was primarily DC Villains and DC GA Heroes. What waned my interest was reading the DC New 52 stuff and trying to push through it. Compared to the Marvel stuff that was being put out it felt like a chore. I did not have a desire to keep up with the DC content or see it executed in a different medium, it just was not fun, the characters were familiar but that was about it . The Marvel stuff on the other hand kept me invested and made me want to see the stories and characters continue . I have a good number of friends that are DC guys and have been for decades but they almost never speak positively about recent runs and their affinity for that content seems to have dropped over time. The more I talk to people about the DC content they love it's really not about DC it's just about Batman because he does kind of have his own easy to understand universe compared to most other DC characters. Just my 2 cents with some anecdotes.

Edited by Happy_Thorsday

1 hour ago, Happy_Thorsday said:

I have a good number of friends that are DC guys and have been for decades but they almost never speak positively about recent runs

I have to admit that I don't keep up with modern stuff - I have literally no idea what is happening in recent runs for either DC or Marvel - I'm still living in past issues which I never got around to reading, and collecting books I've always wanted and never got copies of.