• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC/CCG to be sold...
8 8

461 posts in this topic

One time, I sent in an Action #28 Detroit Trolley copy.  I placed it in a category of a fine minus price.  That's the grade given when I purchased it.  After it was graded, CGC called me and said it graded a 7.0  I gladly paid the difference.  

On 9/18/2021 at 6:58 PM, VintageComics said:

After they were graded I got an accounting email notifying me of the bumps.

That is another issue. During the whole process should the unfortunate occur then they only have to pay out a claim for the lower tier , or if just a small amount of damage they can act like that was how they received it as it was the tier you submitted it under. 

On 9/18/2021 at 8:05 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

That is another issue. During the whole process should the unfortunate occur then they only have to pay out a claim for the lower tier , or if just a small amount of damage they can act like that was how they received it as it was the tier you submitted it under. 

I have never heard of anyone getting a discount if they submitted it under a higher tier, than the final grade.

On 9/18/2021 at 7:26 PM, VintageComics said:

As far as I can tell, CGC uses whatever is currently on GPA for valuation. So if it hasn't made it's way to GPA then they won't use it.

Were the books graded a lot higher than you expected, or was it just the value that changed?  It's very hard to figure value in this environment if your books are held up for 9 months...:tonofbricks:

On 9/18/2021 at 8:09 PM, comicdonna said:

I have never heard of anyone getting a discount if they submitted it under a higher tier, than the final grade.

I believe he's talking about a claim if the book is damaged. If you only claim the lower value they only only value the book at that lower value even if it might have graded higher.

On 9/18/2021 at 8:18 PM, skypinkblu said:

Were the books graded a lot higher than you expected, or was it just the value that changed?  It's very hard to figure value in this environment if your books are held up for 9 months...:tonofbricks:

Most of my books come back in the grade I expect but what I don't expect were the massive bump in prices in this new market.

On 9/18/2021 at 7:09 PM, comicdonna said:

This is and has also been an issue. 

On 9/18/2021 at 8:26 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

This is and has also been an issue. 

Submitters have the option of purposely selecting a higher tier for faster TAT.  
CGC has no way of knowing if you sent in your book via a higher tier because that's what you thought it was worth, or because you wanted it back faster.  

On 9/20/2021 at 8:56 AM, djzombi said:

Submitters have the option of purposely selecting a higher tier for faster TAT.  
CGC has no way of knowing if you sent in your book via a higher tier because that's what you thought it was worth, or because you wanted it back faster.  

I do understand that and have done it myself as well.

If they actually got their TAT to acceptable levels again maybe some of us may be able to go back to the correct tiers, but they do not really have incentive to  accomplish that when they are raking cash in by the barrel full. 

On 7/5/2021 at 6:50 PM, Buzzetta said:
On 7/5/2021 at 6:47 PM, Prince Namor said:

almost all of the old timers, including many big dealers like Gator, all believed that there were many more raw copies out there than graded. There's really no way to know for sure - but they were basing it on boardies they knew and customers they had - some of whom had never used CGC and had multiple copies of a AF #15 and didn't even want people KNOWING that owned the books. 

Still, I think the point was made that the more valuable the book, the more likely it is graded.

I would definitely agree with that last statement, but with one key qualifier in there.  hm

The more valuable the book, the more likely it is to be graded when it comes up for sale.  Especially since I've always held the viewpoint that there's no real reason to have a book graded until it comes time for you to sell it. (thumbsu

With the way the market has been going for the past few months though, I guess the one advantage though is that if a book gets hot, it makes it a whole lot faster and easier to place it into an auction instead of waiting countless months to get it back from grading in order to have it listed which by then might already be too late. :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :pullhair:

On 9/21/2021 at 3:49 AM, lou_fine said:

I would definitely agree with that last statement, but with one key qualifier in there.  hm

The more valuable the book, the more likely it is to be graded when it comes up for sale.  Especially since I've always held the viewpoint that there's no real reason to have a book graded until it comes time for you to sell it. (thumbsu

With the way the market has been going for the past few months though, I guess the one advantage though is that if a book gets hot, it makes it a whole lot faster and easier to place it into an auction instead of waiting countless months to get it back from grading in order to have it listed which by then might already be too late. :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :pullhair:

It's funny you mention this.  Another board member asked my thoughts on sending things to CGC or someone else given the current encapsulation room mishaps.   I said the same thing.  If you are going to sell it then CGC only.  If you are not going to sell it then why spend the money to get it graded or have it take up space?

I think the  exception to that is when you have a book that is too valuable NOT to have graded but the value that you determine that is of a personal gauge.    If I had a Batman 1 laying around I don't know if I would feel comfortable leaving it raw.  In fact that is something that I think I would want a proper check and assessment on before something like an UF4 or a BB1 @Wolverinex.  This is why I have not sent my BB1 down to be graded right now.  I have no interest in selling it in the immediate future. 

On 9/21/2021 at 8:26 AM, Buzzetta said:

It's funny you mention this.  Another board member asked my thoughts on sending things to CGC or someone else given the current encapsulation room mishaps.   I said the same thing.  If you are going to sell it then CGC only.  If you are not going to sell it then why spend the money to get it graded or have it take up space?

I think the  exception to that is when you have a book that is too valuable NOT to have graded but the value that you determine that is of a personal gauge.    If I had a Batman 1 laying around I don't know if I would feel comfortable leaving it raw.  In fact that is something that I think I would want a proper check and assessment on before something like an UF4 or a BB1 @Wolverinex.  This is why I have not sent my BB1 down to be graded right now.  I have no interest in selling it in the immediate future. 

That's a good thought. I sent a few books because i bought some OO books and wanted to confirm there was no restoration.  However,  a bulk of my raws I'm keeping in mylite and fullback. 

I would still love to see photos of that mint BB1 someday.   lol

On 9/21/2021 at 8:57 AM, gadzukes said:

I finally sent my Supe 1 & Cap 1 in because I knew the "percentage of value" fees for slabbing would start to be daunting on the two of them (which is ironic cuz if the value keeps skyrocketing it would pay for the fees).  

I also had a fear that there might be some resto, or a trim that I had missed, so it was nice to have those fears assuaged.

I'm glad I sent them in because Matt talked me into conserving them which really worked out for me grade-wise.

Superman 1 front.jpg

Captain America 1 front.jpg

BEAUTIFUL!!

On 9/18/2021 at 7:26 PM, VintageComics said:

As far as I can tell, CGC uses whatever is currently on GPA for valuation. So if it hasn't made it's way to GPA then they won't use it.

When CGC tries to tell me that I ask them to write me a check and buy the book.

The same goes for auction houses stating they will sell books at a certain price.

Write me the check for that amount and go for it.  

Past sales do not guarantee that I will repeat that sale.  

On 1/11/2022 at 5:31 PM, blazingbob said:

When CGC tries to tell me that I ask them to write me a check and buy the book.

The same goes for auction houses stating they will sell books at a certain price.

Write me the check for that amount and go for it.  

Past sales do not guarantee that I will repeat that sale.  

Comics only go up!  :banana: