• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How old are Comic Collectors?
4 4

How old are you?   

33 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you?

602 posts in this topic

Let's just say I am old enough that I bought ASM #1, Avengers 1, DD 1, XMen1 off the stands. It was a great time to grow up !

:sorry:

:roflmao:

Funny because the good DR is only a year or two younger than me !

Maybe simply because many older people do not use the Internet ...

Quite a number over here in the UK. They are often referred to as Silver Surfers.

So, I've just realised I'm one now, having turned 50 this year.

Quite a number over here in the UK. They are often referred to as Silver Surfers.

I'm joining you, my friend. I turn 50 in 24 days.

I'm joining you, my friend. I turn 50 in 24 days.

I heard us old guys don't use the internet. :preach:

im 31 years old, started collecting back when i was a youngster which for me would have been the late 80's all throughout the 90s. took a break for a few years and this year i got back into the whole hobby again when i found out Peter Parker became Spider-man again.

as i bought the new series of Spider-man i came to find out both Marvel and DC completely restarted all their series. I started with one of my smaller boxes and low and behold 6 months later the box is full and im ready to relocate all my new series into one of the bigger boxes i have...

61. doh! I guess I really started collecting when I was 9 in 1962 when I would buy Harvey and Gold Key comics at the local newstand. I bought my first Mad Magazine that year also (#79) at the supermarket. I just started saving them...had no idea they would ever be valuable. In 1965 I discovered that used bookstores in Los Angeles were selling old comics. I started buying as many old Mad's and Superman's as I could afford from my allowance and birthday and Xmas money. Then I discovered the EC Horror, Crime, and Sci-fi comics. My dad thought I was throwing my money away. He said it was a Fad...I guess it wasn't. :o

Discovered Spiderman a little late (in 1973), but managed to get all the back issues except #1 by 1995. collected all the spiderman titles until issue 400 of ASM, then quit. My back issue collection just kept getting larger and larger and I figured I didn't need to buy new books anymore.

When the Gerber photojournals came out I ignored them due to the price, but finally bought one in 1993. That opened up a whole new world of old comics I wanted. I've been working on that want list ever since.

The best part of being 61 is knowing I got a lot of GA books before they started costing hundreds or thousands of dollars...:cloud9:

And, it is true that a lot of older collectors do not know what the Internet is...but they are generally the one's who are 10 years or more older than me. :preach: However, I paid no attention to comic forums until January of this year, so I have missed a lot of good deals and discoveries. I only started buying on eBay 2 years ago. I seem to have entered a new phase in my collecting...it's good to be here.

Edited by tricolorbrian

Thought I'd start this poll as a BASELINE since the bellcurve on the other collecting polls [GA, SA, BA] seem to indicate that most of the members here are in their mid-thirties. That would of course skew the results of the other polls (i.e. if most of the collectors here are in their mid-thirties then there would be little chance that they wouldn't make up a large percentage of any poll).

33 - when this thread was started 9 years ago ;)