• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, 1p36DSA said:

of the fox books, which ones seem to be the most rate (not necessarily the most valuable) or which ones are sleepers that have the most room for movement?

I know everyone goes first for Lou but Simon's books are scrubs either:baiting:

I would try to target some of the harder to find later Fox books, strictly from a relative pricing point of view.

And in this respect, I would specifically go after the HTF ones which are not present in either the Church collection or the Larson collection since these ones should be the real tough ones to find, especially if they have less than a handful in the CGC census.  hm  (thumbsu

On 6/20/2017 at 6:43 PM, october said:
On 6/19/2017 at 9:40 PM, lou_fine said:

Anybody else that was shocked, or was it just me, at this sale of the raw F/VF Mystery Men #11 for the very strong price of $5,700:   :whatthe: :whatthe: :whatthe:

I bought it and paid $5700 because I want it. End of analysis. 

After some sobering second thoughts, this is the real bottom-line as best expressed by rjpb:

On 6/19/2017 at 10:46 PM, rjpb said:

It's a Church copy with as much eye-appeal as any 9.X Church book. If it had graded that high, it probably would have sold for 3x as much or more. The pedigree is more important than technical grade, and the opportunity to pick up a Church copy of high demand book is going to keep the valuation high, as it's still comparatively cheap to what most Church copies cost.

And as Mitch would have said, you Mannup for a book which you really wanted. 

And also as Richard said in another post with respect to this auction here:  Every time he thought about market value, he ended up losing the book.

Bottom-line:  You did just fine and congrats on picking up another beautiful book for your collection.  :golfclap:

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I would try to target some of the harder to find later Fox books, strictly from a relative pricing point of view.

And in this respect, I would specifically go after the HTF ones which are not present in either the Church collection or the Larson collection since these ones should be the real tough ones to find, especially if they have less than a handful in the CGC census.  hm  (thumbsu

thanks for the insight. Does anyone have a roster of HTF fox books or those with less then 10 on the census? My thoughts were some of the solo series books such as Samson and Flame as the other series are becoming or already out of reach of most folks. Seems some of the later issues even in Larson or Church have less then 10 copies

Edited by 1p36DSA

11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

After some sobering second thoughts, this is the real bottom-line as best expressed by rjpb:

And as Mitch would have said, you Mannup for a book which you really wanted. 

And also as Richard said in another post with respect to this auction here:  Every time he thought about market value, he ended up losing the book.

Bottom-line:  You did just fine and congrats on picking up another beautiful book for your collection.  :golfclap:

I am not sure books like these even have a "market value". Most comics do, but a rare Church Fox issue seems to have more in common with a piece of original art than it does with a frequently traded book like Tomb of Dracula 10 or Spidey 129. 

Books like the Church MMs sell for what someone is willing to pay for them at the time. Not a very good answer, but I think it's less confusing than trying to nail down some hard and fast value. 

15 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

You guys need to start a CGC 1.0 thread.  :)

Split covers clearly get hammered, but the books still look great when slabbed.

One reason why when it comes to scarce and pricey books 1.0s may be more attractive to the buyer than you used to be. If you're not going to open it, a split cover doesn't seem like such a big deal.

16 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:
16 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

You guys need to start a CGC 1.0 thread.  :)

Split covers clearly get hammered, but the books still look great when slabbed.

I could probably fill up a thread all on my own ??

Indeed you could ... and probably should! :)

35 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

594c459ef2ead_blueboltv15001cgc.thumb.jpg.7736612595d17b897beaa24b9cb0c682.jpg

Wait, that's not a Fox, I'll have to do some scanning;)  I just figured it was a kissing cousin;)

Nice, very 'Buck Rogers' like. And a heckuva 1.5 set! 

A 2.0 is the lowest certified book I have (so far). There are a lot of well presenting copies in these grades.

36 minutes ago, sagii said:

Nice, very 'Buck Rogers' like. And a heckuva 1.5 set! 

A 2.0 is the lowest certified book I have (so far). There are a lot of well presenting copies in these grades.

I posted that one only because it was NOT in Jon's auction;) 

I never slabbed these kinds of books before, but I sent a bunch in recently, really only to preserve them, I didn't want to make them worse. I was surprised that some came back better than 1.0. The scanner does not do the slabs justice, I can use a regula

scanner and have the color look better, but the slabs just create a mess with the pictures. 

Here is another Fox book

594c57e2cb730_big37cgc001.thumb.jpg.76cc40ae80c38b988aa735d667b80283.jpg

4 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I could help, Gino!!!! 

594c44fcb0b11_flame6001cgc.thumb.jpg.b927594567cd64b1ed32bab7c0e61bcf.jpg

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I posted that one only because it was NOT in Jon's auction;) 

I never slabbed these kinds of books before, but I sent a bunch in recently, really only to preserve them, I didn't want to make them worse. I was surprised that some came back better than 1.0. The scanner does not do the slabs justice, I can use a regula

scanner and have the color look better, but the slabs just create a mess with the pictures. 

Here is another Fox book

594c57e2cb730_big37cgc001.thumb.jpg.76cc40ae80c38b988aa735d667b80283.jpg

Insert Jaw drop here!!!!! Beautiful stuff Sha!!! Fabulous!! 

Is this really the going rate for a copy of Green Mask #9:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=712348&title=GREENMASK, THE

Interesting to note that it sold for even more than the highest graded CGC 9.2 Church copy of Green Mask #1 back in 2014 in one of their Heritage auctions.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

Edited by lou_fine

36 copies of Green Mask 1 on the CGC Census. inc 27 unrestored.

Green Mask 9 is slightly less common.

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Green+Mask&publisher=Fox+Features+Synd.&issue=9&year=1942&issuedate=2%2F42