• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,436 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, amazingspiderfan said:

How many 9.4's/9.6's have you seen sell of 28? I would wager that you have seen many more 14's sell in that grade.  And 9.4 14's are rising , last copy sold for $15k."Key" yes...Rare no. #14 is the most overvalued ASM imho. When it hits 20k , 28 will be 25k. High grade early ASM'S are never priced justly, are they? 

Lou if you are looking for current price points I think these are fair

9.0 $2000

9.2 $4500

Prettttty big jump going upward from here. And as JimJum stated , be cautious about an over graded 9.4. I would look out for an under graded 9.2 

ASM like many titles has a few issues that you can throw the guide out on, 28 is one of them. Along with 2,4,11,13,20,31...........I think you get my point :p 

Okay so if I'm not mistaken you believe a 28 9.4 would be worth paying 20-22k. I would definitely disagree! Comic collecting is very subjective however and to each their own. 

Personally I would value a first green goblin over a first molten by a mile! Granted there are 12 more (unrestored) 9.4 14's than 28's but census #'s are just one factor in my view. Demand and popularity of the character would be other factors. The last 28 9.4 (white pages) sold for 7450 four years ago. That was it's highest ever GPA price. I would see 20k as grossly overpriced. I may agree with you on 13 being one of those to throw out the guide on but not 28.

Now if we're talking about 9.6's that's a different story since there's only (7) 28s in 9.6. in that case census would weigh heavier. But again I'd always value a 13 or 14 way over a 28 in all grades. That's my 2c on it

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

I believe you are forgetting #3 as well :baiting: 

Honestly I would put ALL ultra high grade pre 66 ASM in the throw out the guide category that was essentially what I meant by my previous posts. I don't think 3 in NM or better achieves the same multiples as 2 and 4 but I could be mistaken, just basing that on my prior purchases. I purchased a 9.6 back in 2000 for under 20 and sold a 9.4 a couple years ago for 17. With 4's in 9.0 selling for 12k and 2's in 9.0/9.2 selling for 20k I would put 3 under them in value. 

MGSimba...While I whole heartedly agree that the "significance" of 14 is much higher than 28, It does not change the market. Two reputable dealers have their 28 9.4's at 20 and 22k respectively , they will sell those before SDCC is my bet.

This book has always been and always will be perceived as scarce with it's black cover, common miswraps, miscuts and TONS of resto. It's just not seen very often in super high grade compared to 14. 

Lou  , that is quite the collection you have my friend. 4 and 31 both have skyrocketed in value. I have always seen both of these books sell for ridiculous amounts.I parted with a couple undercopies this year along with ahem other books, to pick up a tough grail. The 4 went for over 20, no surprise. The 31 however almost 6k , twice what I anticipated. 

My long rambling point being, ASM is stronger then ever, and some issues the die hard ASM collector's all know they had better overspend or lose out. And stock up on those known issues. If I had to suggest an issue for you to invest in I would go after that 2 and 11. :) 

Happy Easter!!

12 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Woah that sounds like some heavy artillery! If it's unrestored I'll fall off my freaken chair!!!:o

If and when I get one I promise to post it here.  :smile:

The mega-key I really want is JIM #83.  The one that part of me (but only part) feels I should be chasing before it gets even further out of hand is FF #1.  But ASM #1 is definitely in the mix as well.

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

If and when I get one I promise to post it here.  :smile:

The mega-key I really want is JIM #83.  The one that part of me (but only part) feels I should be chasing before it gets even further out of hand is FF #1.  But ASM #1 is definitely in the mix as well.

If I had that kind of disposable dough I'd have an epic (Ali Frazier style) inner struggle between IH 181/ASM 129 9.8 combination along with 9.6 ASM 14 vs a single high grade ASM 1!

Edited by MGsimba77

28 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

If I had that kind of disposable dough I'd have an epic (Ali Frazier style) inner struggle between IH 181/ASM 129 9.8 combination along with 9.6 ASM 14 vs a single high grade ASM 1!

I hear ya, seems like everyone on the boards is rich  

5 hours ago, amazingspiderfan said:

My long rambling point being, ASM is stronger then ever, and some issues the die hard ASM collector's all know they had better overspend or lose out. And stock up on those known issues. If I had to suggest an issue for you to invest in I would go after that 2 and 11. :) 

Curious what effect if any do you think the latest ASM Harry Osborne red goblin storyline will have on notable silver bronze goblin issues? 

2 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Curious what effect if any do you think the latest ASM Harry Osborne red goblin storyline will have on notable silver bronze goblin issues? 

I think goblin issues in general have been pretty level for awhile, unless they are the rare unicorn sightings like a 9.8 14. 17 has been on low end for many years unless it is in 9.6. 23 hit or miss in lower grades, strong in NM- or better, 26, 27 spiked quite a few years ago up to 5k+ for a 9.6 , flattened out and are "trying" to reach that same level again , haven't seen it.  

121 9.8's still have a little room , I think this will be a  steady 5k book relatively soon 122's not so much, look for these to drop a little.

Short answer is I don't see it affecting anything , as we really haven't seen a goblin market spike for any reason, including some pretty heavily hyped movies, etc...

Long answer is if anyone wants to unload their high grade goblin keys because of this I am happy to purchase them . :)

On 2/27/2018 at 7:01 PM, Philreal said:

I just picked this up from Straw-Man and it's on it's way now. I'll have a back cover picture once I receive it, but was wondering if you folks had a thought on the grade?(I know wrong forum:whistle:) I'm looking to send it to CGC and am hoping for a least a 6.0?

ASM #6 front.jpg

HERE'S AN UPDATE JUST BACK FROM CGC!

ASM #4 CGC 6.0 FRONT 001.jpg

30 minutes ago, Philreal said:

JUST PICKED THIS UP TO COMPLETE MY "TRILOGY" OF #31, #32, #33 ALL IN 9.0! :cloud9:

ASM #31 CGC 9.0 front.jpg

Beautiful copy!  That’s one of the nicest I’ve seen!  Congrats on the sale of your 7.5 which was nice in its own right but this upgrade right here... just WOW :golfclap: