Amazing Spiderman Collecting Thread!
48 48

9,189 posts in this topic

356 posts

Congrats on scoring a beautiful copy. ASM 39 is one of my three favourite Romita covers, along with Spectacular magazine 2 and the classic ASM 50 which I feel is the best cover on any comic book ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
358 posts

I need to get a higher grade of that Amazing cover myself. #39 & #40 are two of my favorite stories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29,477 posts

39's color treatment is just so doggone wonderful.  purr-dee copy, sir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
773 posts
1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

These aren't new to my collection; have had them since the '70s but I was pulling stuff from Photobucket so i figured I'd toss them up.

asm10.jpg

Really nice books (thumbsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
356 posts

These are my copies of my three favourite Romita covers plus #40, which is also a great one that should never be separated from #39.

EF498DC7-823A-4FEC-9EA6-D77CC7459CC4.thumb.jpeg.c4f33b1c8b9a942436e7a25934e8d371.jpegF2AC8009-C7E4-4ED1-9F44-F6F4BF8552C8.thumb.jpeg.17370ab3cc3fd23502269e1d21a39b01.jpeg2B306BF2-CE9F-4210-AEE6-6D1CA3414A7D.thumb.jpeg.660dc473346aabdbebf2772b8f128a33.jpegB7DB8FBD-1D34-4301-AD77-D67C473B82B9.thumb.jpeg.f777fa1a84cdd0b94cac4184278e8869.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 posts

Well here's an interesting case. Would like some input. I've had this pretty pro-restored Spidey #13 since the 90s. I finally decided to send it in for grading recently. I opted for one of the new Spidey labels. Grade was posted and it came back 7.5, restored as expected, category A-2. I received the book back today and it's a blue universal label but it still lists the restored work that was performed. It doesn't list the A-2 category on the label. Any thoughts on this? Did CGC make an error and just not use a purple label? 

47887.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,860 posts
6 hours ago, JohnH19 said:

These are my copies of my three favourite Romita covers plus #40, which is also a great one that should never be separated from #39.

EF498DC7-823A-4FEC-9EA6-D77CC7459CC4.thumb.jpeg.c4f33b1c8b9a942436e7a25934e8d371.jpegF2AC8009-C7E4-4ED1-9F44-F6F4BF8552C8.thumb.jpeg.17370ab3cc3fd23502269e1d21a39b01.jpeg2B306BF2-CE9F-4210-AEE6-6D1CA3414A7D.thumb.jpeg.660dc473346aabdbebf2772b8f128a33.jpegB7DB8FBD-1D34-4301-AD77-D67C473B82B9.thumb.jpeg.f777fa1a84cdd0b94cac4184278e8869.jpeg

Spec mag 2 has always been my favourite cover. Romita painted a true masterpiece.

ASM 39 in my opinion is the best of all the ASM covers. As @Straw-Man stated, the colors on this cover are just beautiful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,194 posts

Recently picked this up from a sales thread.  Currently the most affordable of what I refer to as the "First Appearance Trilogy"  ASM 13, 14, 15.   13 and 14 are out of my league, right now.  I may decide to jump into deeper waters in the future.

662498074_asm15.png.0e153eb153b9addefbe06ac055241849.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,308 posts
47 minutes ago, Keep_It_Clunky said:

Well here's an interesting case. Would like some input. I've had this pretty pro-restored Spidey #13 since the 90s. I finally decided to send it in for grading recently. I opted for one of the new Spidey labels. Grade was posted and it came back 7.5, restored as expected, category A-2. I received the book back today and it's a blue universal label but it still lists the restored work that was performed. It doesn't list the A-2 category on the label. Any thoughts on this? Did CGC make an error and just not use a purple label? 

47887.jpeg

Its more likely that the specialized labels only come in blue.  If the resto were on the notes but not on the label then I would be concerned.  I actually like the look a lot and bet more people who have restored books will do the same.  Great looking copy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 posts
2 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Its more likely that the specialized labels only come in blue.  If the resto were on the notes but not on the label then I would be concerned.  I actually like the look a lot and bet more people who have restored books will do the same.  Great looking copy!

Thanks. I was actually thinking the same thing regarding the specialized label as a possible answer. Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,860 posts
1 minute ago, comicquant said:

Its more likely that the specialized labels only come in blue.  If the resto were on the notes but not on the label then I would be concerned.  I actually like the look a lot and bet more people who have restored books will do the same.  Great looking copy!

If it is true that the specialized labels only come in blue, I have a bad feeling that many will try and pass them off as true blues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,308 posts
Just now, Jordysnordy said:

If it is true that the specialized labels only come in blue, I have a bad feeling that many will try and pass them off as true blues.

Its the same as Voldy.  They just note the restoration on their stock label.  My first reaction when I saw Clunky's book was "Man, how is that not a 9.4" then looked at the label and saw the resto remark (lastly, read the post text!).  I do like the look and have always wondered why the purple label and not just a note about the resto.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29,477 posts
On 5/5/2019 at 11:58 AM, KirbyJack said:

We've got a "where's Waldo?" situation with the date stamp, Straw.

first sentence refers to the 12 just above.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,473 posts
2 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

first sentence refers to the 12 just above.  

Thanks! :bigsmile: Sweet Lou saved me from my ignorance there, but I swear I spent 5 minutes souring that cover. Stupidity is stubborn!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
48 48