• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,445 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, nearmint said:

I don't believe either of those books reference the internment camps.  By 1944, there were a number of both Japanese and German prisoner of war camps in the U.S.  In both the Captain Midnight and the Green Hornet books, the Japanese in the stories wear blue jumpsuits with PW(prisoner of war) written on the back. 

As I'm sure you're aware, there was an internment camp at Tule Lake, but it was called the "Tule Lake Relocation Center".  The "Tule Lake Camp" referenced on the road sign on the Green Hornet cover was 10 miles away from the internment camp.  It was a maximum security facility that, among other uses, did house prisoners of war. 

Thanks for the information.  I always assumed that the reference to Tule Lake was for the internment camp.  I did not know that there was also a POW prison nearby.

Since the escapees in the Captain Midnight cover were wearing civilian clothes, I didn’t think they were POWs.  I know that a Don Winslow cover depicts POWs, but they’re clearly identified with prison uniforms and PW emblems.  Of course, the escapees may have stolen some civilian clothing to facilitate their escape.  The dead or wounded guards and the weapons would fit with escaped POWs.

4 hours ago, walclark said:

Thanks for the information.  I always assumed that the reference to Tule Lake was for the internment camp.  I did not know that there was also a POW prison nearby.

Since the escapees in the Captain Midnight cover were wearing civilian clothes, I didn’t think they were POWs.  I know that a Don Winslow cover depicts POWs, but they’re clearly identified with prison uniforms and PW emblems.  Of course, the escapees may have stolen some civilian clothing to facilitate their escape.  The dead or wounded guards and the weapons would fit with escaped POWs.

Yes, the cover shows them in civilian clothing, but the interior story shows them in POW garb.

29-A8-D378-8573-43-D8-87-C1-D8162-A24778

19 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Just won these last night.  As a kid, these were my favorite thing.  I had all but the Witch (which I bought from a COMICCONNECT auction).  I loved how they glowed in the dark.  I painted several (which looked utterly terrible!).  Five down, seven to go.

ABBF5B91-A2FC-42C1-AC63-9D3320754237.jpeg

DC1BC0C2-B05C-4C51-8207-81D6F58217FC.jpeg

EC5B153E-6D85-47E6-82FE-E480E0F7FC56.jpeg

7E73D1AA-BD73-4A75-9944-EBE5BDA8C6C0.jpeg

You haven't found my favorite yet, The Forgotten Prisoner of Castel Mare?

Edited by BuscemasAvengers

19 minutes ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

You haven't found my favorite yet, The Forgotten Prisoner of Castel Mare?

Not yet, that is actually my favorite too.  It is the 1st model I ever got from the series.  I loved how creepy it looked.

23 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Just won these last night.  As a kid, these were my favorite thing.  I had all but the Witch (which I bought from a COMICCONNECT auction).  I loved how they glowed in the dark.  I painted several (which looked utterly terrible!).  Five down, seven to go.

ABBF5B91-A2FC-42C1-AC63-9D3320754237.jpeg

DC1BC0C2-B05C-4C51-8207-81D6F58217FC.jpeg

EC5B153E-6D85-47E6-82FE-E480E0F7FC56.jpeg

7E73D1AA-BD73-4A75-9944-EBE5BDA8C6C0.jpeg

Congrats! Great to cross off 4 off the list at once.

Not a glow in the dark but a recent find of a very nicely painted original. 

3D3BD4D4-E5F9-4814-93A8-A7ABE4CFABC4.jpeg