• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

California Comic Convention 2/22/2009

90 posts in this topic

California Comic Convention 2009

Terry O’Neill of Terry’s Comics recently announced that he will be hosting the third California Comic Con this winter on February 22, 2009. The show will be held in Orange County in Yorba Linda, held just miles from Disneyland, Knott’s Berry Farm, Angel Stadium, Arrowhead Pond, Newport Beach, and Laguna Beach.

This year the California Comic Convention will place emphasis on vintage comic books. Dealers from all over the country will be at the show. Featured guests include legendary Bronze Age comic artist Berni Wrightson and Bruce Jones of Hulk comics and Twisted Tales. The show will be held from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM; tickets are only $2 and parking is free.

Thinking of flying in from NC, so how much of a emphasis on vintage comic books is there, is it worth the trip out there. Small or large show ? Any info from you guys that have been before?
You might think about going to both this show and Wondercon in San Francisco the following weekend.

To finish answering jacks2start's question, it is a relatively small show, I would say 20 to 30 dealers max, many dealers with 1-2 tables on average. The emphasis is almost 100% on Golden and Silver Age at this show, which is very refreshing for a Golden/Silver Age collector. Some dealers have Bronze, Copper, and early Modern as well, but you feel the emphasis is older books. It's one main activity room with an outdoor porch area containing 4-5 additional dealers outside. (Ah, yes, only in California can you safely set up comic books outside in February without too much worry) :)

If you're flying all the way out from NC, I would say find a way to stop in San Francisco the weekend after for WonderCon. Then again, between Harley, Terry, and several other dealers that come, the selection of older books is impressive for a show this size. Plus, with Berni Wrightson in attendance, you could get a bunch of cool books signed. While I like this show, flying all the way from NC may be overkill. Just my opinion, but if you mix this with WonderCon, then I see some value.

I should be at this show, too, I think a forum lunch would be cool!

Joel