• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

**Mods, if this is a violation of any rule, I will voluntarily take it down**

:news: I believe this information is for the betterment of the community :news:

It occurred to me that no matter what transpires in the Chip Cataldo fiasco, there would always be those who would defend him. He has this issue or that issue and that's ok because we have to be kind and caring and exhibit all the political correctness one can handle.

It also occurred to me that his behavior isn't going to stop: a pattern that has emerged over many years and many internet forums. A pattern of someone, through their own poor choices, consistently find themselves in dire straits only to seek out the assistance from others. But the interesting part of this is that the pattern continues: wash, rinse, repeat. No knowledge that would benefit said party is used when he finds himself in the same situation. It's like "Hey...you guys bailed me out the last 15 times, what's another time, right?"

Knowing this and also realizing that the truth would never come out, I decided to conduct an experiment with the following hypothesis:

Chip's situation isn't nearly as bad as he lets on. He knows exactly what he's doing; he's actively on the boards/Facebook, etc and he's going to continue to bilk money and sympathy from anyone who's willing to enable him.

After consulting Buzzetta (for the record, we are good friends), I decided to dangle a carrot:

http://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/tag/5939743811.html

Some may say its deceitful; others that it was wrong. But I know how much he loves Star Wars toys. BUT...and here's the kicker: if his situation is so bad (no job, getting evicted for the second time, no way to support his dependents), then there's no way he would possibly be buying collections. If you take him at his word, he shouldn't have ANY extra money, right?

Well....as expected, I was wrong.

At 8:31 pm, I received the following:

iKIl9AM.png

YES Chip has time AND money to buy Star Wars collections. Not only that, it's the money that people here sent him for items that HAVE NOT been delivered. Items that were purchased in November. I believe etanick said his check was cashed on 11/15 and his PM from 12/6 was just read. JUST READ! That's over 45 days.

It's my opinion that Mr. Cataldo should be in the HoS. Like many, I was shocked that his gofundme attempt wasn't enough to push him into the Hall. I mean, he was literally asking the community to pay off his debts (which he accumulated) and pay his living expenses for a few months so he could "get his life together." Will someone do this for me?

Between the gofundme, the more recent lack of shipping/responding/basically stealing others money, his history on various Star Wars forums, I believe a HoS vote is in order.

If he has the means and ability to go out and buy toy collections, then he has the means and ability to settle all prior affairs.

The difference is: he doesn't want to and has repeatedly shown his true self and true colors.

We are the farmers. Chip is the snake. How many times must we be bitten to understand?!?!

tumblr_inline_nzfevykxev1rg0x34_500.jpg

And Ricky? hm Ricardo or Bobby? "I'm selling off my Star Wars dolls except for that little Yoda feller as he looks sweet next to baby Jesus in the manger. Please contact if interested."

Edited by Bird

**Mods, if this is a violation of any rule, I will voluntarily take it down**

:news: I believe this information is for the betterment of the community :news:

It occurred to me that no matter what transpires in the Chip Cataldo fiasco, there would always be those who would defend him. He has this issue or that issue and that's ok because we have to be kind and caring and exhibit all the political correctness one can handle.

It also occurred to me that his behavior isn't going to stop: a pattern that has emerged over many years and many internet forums. A pattern of someone, through their own poor choices, consistently find themselves in dire straits only to seek out the assistance from others. But the interesting part of this is that the pattern continues: wash, rinse, repeat. No knowledge that would benefit said party is used when he finds himself in the same situation. It's like "Hey...you guys bailed me out the last 15 times, what's another time, right?"

Knowing this and also realizing that the truth would never come out, I decided to conduct an experiment with the following hypothesis:

Chip's situation isn't nearly as bad as he lets on. He knows exactly what he's doing; he's actively on the boards/Facebook, etc and he's going to continue to bilk money and sympathy from anyone who's willing to enable him.

After consulting Buzzetta (for the record, we are good friends), I decided to dangle a carrot:

http://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/tag/5939743811.html

Some may say its deceitful; others that it was wrong. But I know how much he loves Star Wars toys. BUT...and here's the kicker: if his situation is so bad (no job, getting evicted for the second time, no way to support his dependents), then there's no way he would possibly be buying collections. If you take him at his word, he shouldn't have ANY extra money, right?

Well....as expected, I was wrong.

At 8:31 pm, I received the following:

iKIl9AM.png

YES Chip has time AND money to buy Star Wars collections. Not only that, it's the money that people here sent him for items that HAVE NOT been delivered. Items that were purchased in November. I believe etanick said his check was cashed on 11/15 and his PM from 12/6 was just read. JUST READ! That's over 45 days.

It's my opinion that Mr. Cataldo should be in the HoS. Like many, I was shocked that his gofundme attempt wasn't enough to push him into the Hall. I mean, he was literally asking the community to pay off his debts (which he accumulated) and pay his living expenses for a few months so he could "get his life together." Will someone do this for me?

Between the gofundme, the more recent lack of shipping/responding/basically stealing others money, his history on various Star Wars forums, I believe a HoS vote is in order.

If he has the means and ability to go out and buy toy collections, then he has the means and ability to settle all prior affairs.

The difference is: he doesn't want to and has repeatedly shown his true self and true colors.

We are the farmers. Chip is the snake. How many times must we be bitten to understand?!?!

I'm sure one of his enablers will be blasting you for this. If not here, then perhaps on wookiebuttplugs.net or whatever website they commiserate on.

Ricky lol

I wouldn't have done it but I do not see why it would be a moderation/probation issue at all. When catching pests bait is sometimes used. I also gave to Chip, I forget how honestly, but am glad to know the fuller story now and remember feeling used during that last go 'round. Being cynically naive is my chosen default setting, but it is a tough balance to maintain and I appreciate it when others share information.

:applause:

Hmmm, maybe I am trying to be naively cynical. :P That may be more correct.

Edited by Bird

I don't fear moderation retribution on this and if there is a problem mods feel free to PM me.

Boardie posted a Craigslist ad for vintage Star Wars figures in the Myrtle Beach, South Carolina area see who would respond. Lo and behold, Chip inquired about buying the collection.

How is it that a guy who lost his job, has no time, nor resources to ship out his sales, has the time and resources to buy vintage Star Wars collections ?

Chip needs to go.

I'm inclined to agree, but for the record, reading the for sale listing with an asking price for the toys of $150 (for 45 figures and 3 ships) with the implication that some are in their original boxes and never opened, can I ask just how tempting this ad would be? I do not know anything about vintage toys, so I am asking as temptations go if this is a potential lottery win, or just a decent potential flip, or pretty much all they would be worth?

I'm inclined to agree, but for the record, reading the for sale listing with an asking price for the toys of $150 (for 45 figures and 3 ships) with the implication that some are in their original boxes and never opened, can I ask just how tempting this ad would be? I do not know anything about vintage toys, so I am asking as temptations go if this is a potential lottery win, or just a decent potential flip, or pretty much all they would be worth?

I agree that Chip needs to be banished, but this isn't proof of anything. I'm with Robert that this sounds too good to pass up. I know jack about Star Wars toys, and I'd buy that lot. Spending $150 if you can at least double your money in one afternoon is a slam dunk that can't be missed, especially if you need an infusion of funds.

I think the point is that Chip was claiming that he lost his job and has no money and all is lost. Yet, there he is looking on Craigslist for toys.

Come on guys. Read between the lines. Chip is full of mess with a lot of things he says. He absolutely is probably depressed and what not. I'm sure that's all true. But he preys on the sympathies of others to his benefit. His situation isn't as bleak as he makes it out to be.

Everyone that is saying " hm I'd probably buy that lot..."

Are you broke? Jobless? Homeless? Down to your final cent where you had a GoFundMe page saying you need help or all is lost.

meh

Where was he going to get that money from so quickly? 150 may be nothing to us, but to someone being evicted and selling everything they own, that's a lot of money

Where was he going to get that money from so quickly? 150 may be nothing to us, but to someone being evicted and selling everything they own, that's a lot of money

This, and Justin is correct, why is he looking if he's too broke to mail things or does not have the time to mail them?

I don't remember the HOS rules, but I believe we need a poll...and Happy New Year everyone.

Again, I want him gone, and everything he says is lies, but...

All due respect, if your credit card has more owing than you're able to pay, you're in debt, and if you don't expect to be able to pay it back, that means broke to me. That doesn't mean you can't go further into debt to pay gas or buy clothes for a job interview, or buy something to flip to generate income.

Is it the dollar amount you're stuck on? Would it make you feel better if he bought pencils at a dollar that he sold for $2? How about one Star Wars fig for $5 that he sold to a store for $25? Is that more appropriate?

I don't fear moderation retribution on this and if there is a problem mods feel free to PM me.

Boardie posted a Craigslist ad for vintage Star Wars figures in the Myrtle Beach, South Carolina area see who would respond. Lo and behold, Chip inquired about buying the collection.

How is it that a guy who lost his job, has no time, nor resources to ship out his sales, has the time and resources to buy vintage Star Wars collections ?

Chip needs to go.

I think the value is irrelevant. I say that because people have been trying to contact him for almost 2 months for shipping and tracking information and he's ignored them all and all of his responsibilities to them.

He only started to act on what he owed them when faced with discipline and trotted out the same "woe is me" cliches. He couldn't take care of what he owed people for 2 months because of all these problems. However he was able to pounce instantly on this opportunity.

The level of temptation and whether or not he could have made a killing on the toys doesn't matter. It simply helps to illustrate that chip takes care of chip, everyone else waits.

Or part of that $12K to support him for a few months while he "figures things out."

A GoFundMe account is starting to sound better and better. hm Maybe I can finally have time to finish Fallout 4 if people pay my monthly expenses for a few months. hm

Again, I want him gone, and everything he says is lies, but...

All due respect, if your credit card has more owing than you're able to pay, you're in debt, and if you don't expect to be able to pay it back, that means broke to me. That doesn't mean you can't go further into debt to pay gas or buy clothes for a job interview, or buy something to flip to generate income.

Is it the dollar amount you're stuck on? Would it make you feel better if he bought pencils at a dollar that he sold for $2? How about one Star Wars fig for $5 that he sold to a store for $25? Is that more appropriate?

How about so broke you run a go fund me for enough to float you for months while you find yourself? How about taking money from several board members almost 2 months ago and not shipping or responding to anyone e threatened with the PL, and then claiming you had lost your job, couldn't ship anything, didn't have time to take care of his responsibilities to all those people, and still coming up with time and money to buy more collectibles?

Not exactly the same thing as gas to get to your job is it?

Not at all, but I've already decided what should happen. The craigslist ad proves nothing to me.

Some people needed a smoking gun, even after everything he's said and done.

It's nice to see, in someone's own words, that they shirked their responsibilities not because of circumstances outside their control, but because they just felt like it.

Chip needs to go.

I think the value is irrelevant. I say that because people have been trying to contact him for almost 2 months for shipping and tracking information and he's ignored them all and all of his responsibilities to them.

He only started to act on what he owed them when faced with discipline and trotted out the same "woe is me" cliches. He couldn't take care of what he owed people for 2 months because of all these problems. However he was able to pounce instantly on this opportunity.

The level of temptation and whether or not he could have made a killing on the toys doesn't matter. It simply helps to illustrate that chip takes care of chip, everyone else waits.

Well stated.