• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Mapleleafvann said:

Maybe I have misread a few posts, but are some of you saying that if you bring up multiple copies of the same book from the dollar bin, your LCS checks the going price on eBay???

That's more than a little asinine.  If they're in the dollar bin, they were already deemed to be "junk" by whomever put them in there.  This is simply dollar bin regret or even a mild form of bait and switch. 

Yes, some might. It is a tip off to them that they might have made a mistake and the book got hot. It is their property until they accept your money I suppose. I got a NM 98 in a 5 for $1 sale of what used to be his dollar books when a shop was closing up. It was $50-75 then and he yanked it right out. He said that shouldn't be there and blamed his employee. I was getting a ton of other great stuff he missed (I honestly did get the feeling a lot of stuff was put in those boxes by his employee that shouldn't have been there), so I didn't raise a fuss. It is bad business, no doubt, but if the place is a honey hole and you're still walking away with a ton of good stuff, just not 20 copies of a $100 book, maybe you put up with it?

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

The worst is a store full of disorganized, unpriced stuff, that you carefully triage the boxes lookin to find and they pick a price by looking up the highest ebay price. They didn't know what they had in their mess. You found it for them. And now they're charging you a premium for it.

The problem is, unless you know in advance, you don't know if you yank the stuff and the guy at the register just blabbers "$10!" for $300 worth of stuff or if they look it all up. i have encountered both scenarios and a myriad in between.

When I find these scenarios their demeanor dictates my actions.  If they act like an :censored: then I smile, pick up the books and go back to the mess of boxes and place them randomly back in their boxes.  If they can not be bothered to price, sort, or be kind then I will not do their job for them. If I wasted my time. They can waste theirs.  

Lol you guys sometimes get hit with a price increase my LCS owner literally removed every single marvel back issue box off the floor, probably around 70-80 shortboxes of marvel issues.

At least I still got the books for the marked price but came with the cost of all Marvel back issues being removed :p

Edited by IbukiLord

Do not get me wrong.  I will always try to communicate with the shop owner and see if a fair deal can be struck, but at the same time it is not right to price things, then change said price as soon as you decide that you want it. I love to support local businesses.  That said the way some act they do not deserve to be in business.  

19 minutes ago, BrooksR said:

If the guy gives you a price after looking it up ask “Is that what they cost on ebay? Awesome, that means I can buy them from home! Thanks!”

It wouldn’t be so bad if they weren’t using the highest buy it now price, and probably for a book in lower grade than the one on ebay 🙄

Yes, I spent a ton at my honey hole, about $10K over 4 months or so, and I had to leave the books I pulled and he would email me a price list after looking them up (sometimes guide sometimes ebay, no rhyme or reason), which I would review and then haggle if needed. We agreed on a "good customer discount" early on (I bought not just keys, many many 50 cent books or dollar books as well as keys) of 20%. After a few months or that, including days where he would tell me "this is now the best monday (or friday, or even week once) we have ever had" he said 10% on hot books or keys was the new discount. I told him I wouldn't be back but I don't think he believed me. We emailed a few times and I told him I could get 10% off ebay prices while sitting home and not driving 40 minutes each way (this was when they were having coupons a lot), so without the 20% I was not coming back. And I haven't.

This was also the shop where I would pull stuff and say this one is hot to give them a heads up as we were both profiting from my visits and I wanted to keep them going. or hey Frank Miller signed this edition (real example).

Near the end, when I was already frustrated with the service, I asked about 2 keys they had in the back room where I and other regulars were permitted to browse, avengers 1 and 4. We agreed on a price after a week or two of waiting for him to price and grade (I eventually took pics and threw them up here on PGM), no discount, and I said fine I'll take them. Then I was told "we have to check with the guy who consigns statues with us, he gets first crack at books like these". Oh, okay. So he matched my haggled price and I got nada, which is within their rights obviously. But so is my right to say see ya'!

Edited by Bird

1 hour ago, the blob said:

The worst is a store full of disorganized, unpriced stuff, that you carefully triage the boxes lookin to find and they pick a price by looking up the highest ebay price. They didn't know what they had in their mess. You found it for them. And now they're charging you a premium for it.

The problem is, unless you know in advance, you don't know if you yank the stuff and the guy at the register just blabbers "$10!" for $300 worth of stuff or if they look it all up. i have encountered both scenarios and a myriad in between.

I’ve had that happen before , when the comic ship looks like a hoarders nest but has plenty of new monthly issues on the walls , I enjoy hunting through boxes . What I DON’T  enjoy is bringing my finds to the counter for them to say “ we still have to price them “... well - what DON’T you have to price in here ?

6 hours ago, kevhtx said:

Ouch. If they arent doing the work to manage their own inventory (which I know is hard for a comic store) then Im not going to shop there. A better strategy is having some sort of daily notification system that tells them when books in their inventory have increased in price with an average of Ebay sales. THEN, set their price X % lower than that. Probably too complex for a store where most of the time they dont have the funds to manage like that and usually employees are around minimum wage. 

I went to a store once in Iowa that had books priced at "Percentage of NM Overstreet". I bought a Magnus Robot Fighter 1 for "2%" just because I couldn't imagine what that price would be.

5 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

I went to a store once in Iowa that had books priced at "Percentage of NM Overstreet". I bought a Magnus Robot Fighter 1 for "2%" just because I couldn't imagine what that price would be.

Was the store in a basement?

Captain America #25 Is slowly rising in price. We all know its going to happen guess everyone has to see it before they jump on.

fleabay

Sam Wilson #3 is ON FIRE

fleabay

X-men #4 Price is on the rise.

fleabay

Can someone tell me who are these people paying $150 for Eniac #1 White Logo. This has Epic Fail Written all over it.:baiting: