• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Plastic hard cases for comics

20 posts in this topic

Has anyone seen cases like this one ? Would like to know where I can get more.

They are not the millcases ( already tried the search facility (thumbs u )

Thanks,

David

b075d780.jpg

I imported a few of those from a comic dealer in the UK several years ago. I don't know if they are still being manufactured. They're great, but heavy, and won't fit all sized comics comfortably (early GA books are a tad wide for them, and I don't recall a larger size being offered).

The much more easily obtained top-loaders are light-weight and great for protecting comic spines and covers from handling damage, but I've often wondered why there isn't a sealable top piece available.

I also recall a highly polished acrylic holder for individual books with an optional base available from a U.S. company, but it was thick, very heavy and pricy (not practical except perhaps as a display case for the most highly prized books in one's collection).

The earliest of these user access holders is The Fortress. These haven't been manufactured for some time, but were popular for protecting valued books before CGC came along. They're similar in thickness to CGC style holders with books secured by a frame that's held together by screws.

If anyone knows of other comic holder designs out there, please share the images/links here. (thumbs u

Has anyone seen cases like this one ? Would like to know where I can get more.

They are not the millcases ( already tried the search facility (thumbs u )

Thanks,

David

b075d780.jpg

I imported a few of those from a comic dealer in the UK several years ago. I don't know if they are still being manufactured. They're great, but heavy, and won't fit all sized comics comfortably (early GA books are a tad wide for them, and I don't recall a larger size being offered).

The much more easily obtained top-loaders are light-weight and great for protecting comic spines and covers from handling damage, but I've often wondered why there isn't a sealable top piece available.

I also recall a highly polished acrylic holder for individual books with an optional base available from a U.S. company, but it was thick, very heavy and pricy (not practical except perhaps as a display case for the most highly prized books in one's collection).

The earliest of these user access holders is The Fortress. These haven't been manufactured for some time, but were popular for protecting valued books before CGC came along. They're similar in thickness to CGC style holders with books secured by a frame that's held together by screws.

If anyone knows of other comic holder designs out there, please share the images/links here. (thumbs u

Sounds right. - you don't know which uk dealer ? Me and Gary probably got ours from the same dealer.

Thanks, David

.. well, I guess you gotta protect the case that protects the case that protects the comic.

you toss away the comic and colect the cases

Throw the case away and ..

Collect the CGC label. :acclaim:

These look similar, expect they're slabbing slabs, not raw: CLICK

cgacomic_hanging_facts.jpg

protecting the case that protects your comic is a new level of geek....and i love it, now whats the next step?

That thing needs a rubber frame around it to protect it from cracking.

Are these the ones you mean?

You can buy them at Hotflips

I looked around online and found this site. I haven't ordered from them before, but the price seems pretty good (shrug)

http://www.team-superstore.com/S8_Topload_Holders_1541.asp

Those arent for comics. They are for photos and documents. You need a wider opening on top,

Jeff

I thought I saw one that was kind of like a Fortress with the screws in the corner but it was a little more lightweight looking, like kind of thin, and maybe had hardware built in to hang it on a wall.