Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
40 40

15,051 posts in this topic

18,997 posts
3 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I cashed out on my Sandmans last year. I regret giving up on this series but it just never seemed feasible. Shouldn't have doubted Gaiman or Netflix. 

I suspect Netflix is going to start going after more properties that fit it's niche. Not standard super hero fair that we've seen before. 

The question is what's next? hm 

Well they bought Millar's entire catalog that's a start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
65 posts

Is the 1974 Sandman series still considered the first appearance? People used to list it that way back in the day when sandman was still running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16,976 posts
1 hour ago, BrooksR said:

Is the 1974 Sandman series still considered the first appearance? People used to list it that way back in the day when sandman was still running.

It never was considered his first. Brute and glob, the nightmares from a dolls house, did first appear there though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
714 posts
On 7/4/2019 at 12:00 AM, FlyingDonut said:

Sandman 75 second printing cgc 9.6? Too niche?

Goldmine book, impossible to find in the wild, especially in 9.6, although now there is a 9.8 in the census (but still only 6 9.6s)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
803 posts
On 7/5/2019 at 6:25 PM, shiverbones said:

 captain atom 42 is her first dc universe appearance, but she is not on the cover

Followed by Legion of Super-Heroes #38 in 1992.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21,740 posts

Nice. I was planning to blow out my Sandman run + multiples at the spring shows this year but was too lazy at the time to grade and price them. Looks like it paid off. lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,434 posts
1 minute ago, kimik said:

Nice. I was planning to blow out my Sandman run + multiples at the spring shows this year but was too lazy at the time to grade and price them. Looks like it paid off. lol 

Slack wins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,062 posts
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:29 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

Goldmine book, impossible to find in the wild, especially in 9.6, although now there is a 9.8 in the census (but still only 6 9.6s)

Not sure that many fans care enough about that book?  The blue pages yup, #8 editorial - absolutely, second print...eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,062 posts
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, kimik said:

Nice. I was planning to blow out my Sandman run + multiples at the spring shows this year but was too lazy at the time to grade and price them. Looks like it paid off. lol 

Sandman is a funny title, the full sets have always sold well, but you could probably piece them together individually pretty cheap. 

Once you get past 1, 4, 8 there's not a lot out there that can't be had pretty easily for a buck or two.....I just don't think people care that much about owning a full set, the readers will go after the primo sets like 'Absolute Sandman', which at full retail is quite actually costs more (for now anyway).  The speculators might jump on the full sets...

Yesterday, at the monthly comic show, there's a regular I chat with that's a pure keys speculator....errr collector I know, as he was walking out the door he bought a copy of #1.  He had that nervous, guilty look on his face like he just been caught rubbing one out.....I imagine guys like him will all jump on #1, 4 and 8....don't know if they would buy the single non-key books.

Edited by spreads

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66 posts
1 hour ago, spreads said:

Sandman is a funny title, the full sets have always sold well, but you could probably piece them together individually pretty cheap. 

Once you get past 1, 4, 8 there's not a lot out there that can't be had pretty easily for a buck or two.....I just don't think people care that much about owning a full set, the readers will go after the primo sets like 'Absolute Sandman', which at full retail is quite actually costs more (for now anyway).  The speculators might jump on the full sets...

 

Yeah, if you're patient you can put together an entire set minus #1, #4 and #8 for a hundred bucks or less. 

I suppose there's a possibility that the supporting cast take off in popularity due to the show and folks start hunting for the first appearances of The Corinthian or something, but it seems kind of unlikely tbh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40,174 posts
2 hours ago, spreads said:

Not sure that many fans care enough about that book?  The blue pages yup, #8 editorial - absolutely, second print...eh?

I don't care enough about that book . . . but I'll buy your copy! :devil:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,147 posts
1 hour ago, rlextherobot said:

Yeah, if you're patient you can put together an entire set minus #1, #4 and #8 for a hundred bucks or less. 

I suppose there's a possibility that the supporting cast take off in popularity due to the show and folks start hunting for the first appearances of The Corinthian or something, but it seems kind of unlikely tbh. 

True, this was a book with a big readership, and a lot of those folks collected the floppies and then moved on to the trades or the hardcovers, etc. I see the series a lot at Half Price Books, places like that. There was a time when the first appearance of Daniel (21? 22? can't recall) had a significant price bump, not sure if that's still true or not? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,265 posts

If this is anything like other media pops, there will be lots of "new" 1st apps that have a big ol' bump (especially if the character is cool.)  1st app of Hob Gadling, Azazel, Duma and Remiel, Nada, Cluracan and Nuada, Rose Walker, The Corinthian, the list is, well, Endless . . .   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16,976 posts

Other than 22 for Daniel, I think 10 and 21 are legitimate as the firsts of desire, despair and then delirium, but other than that, I can’t see it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,206 posts
On 7/2/2019 at 4:51 PM, valiantman said:
On 7/2/2019 at 4:23 PM, manetteska said:

Sandman 8 Editorial price bump? Or too niche?

Fewer than 75 CGC graded copies and I would guess most people who own them didn't buy them to flip.  It would take a big price bump to shake them loose, so I'm going to guess that it's too niche, but then again, there are twice as many CGC graded copies of Amazing Spider-Man #678 variant that sell for a lot more and it's the first appearance of nothing. lol

Well the one on eBay did sell; can't tell for how much though as watchcount is broke.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-SANDMAN-8-EDITORIAL-VARIANT-SIGNED-BY-NEIL-GAIMAN-1-OF-5-Netflix-/123641616165?hash=item1cc99d5725%3Ag%3AZncAAOSwsDZcSQlY&nma=true&si=NLtnOes4tiuUozI8uh7TQgXOKfo%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,749 posts

Who knows if the netflix show is going to be any good?  The series won't last more than 3 seasons and then the books will tank. it's Sandman here, not the Walking Dead.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,419 posts

50 Platinum should do pretty well. 

Love the simplicity of that cover.  Cool story too. 

Patrick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,192 posts

I picked up several copies of #1 when it first came out. I sold or traded a couple years ago, but I still have a 9.6, and a Neil-Gaiman–signed #1 and Orpheus Special (which is also the first appearance of one of the Endless), that also has a tiny sketch by Gaiman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,062 posts
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Who knows if the netflix show is going to be any good?  The series won't last more than 3 seasons and then the books will tank. it's Sandman here, not the Walking Dead.  

The books obviously do not have the publishing length of the TWD, but Sandman is written a helluvalot better!

Edited by spreads
edit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,062 posts
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, manetteska said:

That's a serious sale....but we're talking only a couple of these books out there, right?  On the subject of the paypal credit, those terms are awful, has anyone ever used it?!

Edited by spreads
edit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
40 40