• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show off your 1st OA you ever bought
1 1

109 posts in this topic

What a fun topic. I still have my first purchased published page and first sketch by an artist for me. It was at the same show and it was by Tim Sale! I still have both pages:

Superman For All Seasons Page

Tim Sale Quickie Wolverine Sketch

Malvin

Now this is just frickin' redonkulous. You have amassed your collection of over 500 pieces and everything has been since Superman For All Seasons? Less than 15 years? :censored::censored: I am never selling you another :censored: thing. Man, I thought I was sick.

Well, yes, I guess that I am sick. But you too!

What a fun topic. I still have my first purchased published page and first sketch by an artist for me. It was at the same show and it was by Tim Sale! I still have both pages:

Malvin

Now this is just frickin' redonkulous. You have amassed your collection of over 500 pieces and everything has been since Superman For All Seasons? Less than 15 years? :censored::censored: I am never selling you another :censored: thing. Man, I thought I was sick.

Ha ha, thanks Sean. I actually started in 98.. did it (slow) for a couple of years..then took a break for a few years (grad school + unemployed afterwards). But it wasn't until the last few years that I really got going!

Malvin

Interestingly enough, i didn't actually pay for my first page of OA. It was a gift for middle-manning a deal between two friends. A Herb Trimpe unpublished pin-up from GI Joe #1.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=481974

The first page i ever bought sucked in comparison...Avengers Spotlight #23 pg 4

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=481978

Love the series, still to this day, but the page isn't so awesome compared the Joe pin-up. The nice thing about this page is that it taught me to be more selective when buying in this hobby and not go all out buying whatever and everything, which is how i approached other hobbies in my youth.

Interestingly enough, i didn't actually pay for my first page of OA. It was a gift for middle-manning a deal between two friends. A Herb Trimpe unpublished pin-up from GI Joe #1.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=481974

The first page i ever bought sucked in comparison...Avengers Spotlight #23 pg 4

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=481978

Love the series, still to this day, but the page isn't so awesome compared the Joe pin-up. The nice thing about this page is that it taught me to be more selective when buying in this hobby and not go all out buying whatever and everything, which is how i approached other hobbies in my youth.

:cloud9: GI JOE!

I started in the hobby out of nostalgia. I went with this interior page from Action 599, a comic I bought as a kid in my first ever vacation outside my country.

It is Ross Andru pencils and John Byrne inks. Looking back, it is not the best page but it is the one that started it all. Now I have a lot of pages.

ActionComics%20599-Interior-CAF-1250.jpg

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=756606

Click on the image above to be directed to my CAF page, and feel free to comment as this page was acquired before commenting was the norm. As a matter of fact, the comments there seem to be a back and forth between me and Gal Schwartz - who is a member here and has become a friend and someone who has advised me many times about this hobby when I was started.

Great thread for a nostalgia-fest !

This was my first OA, purchased back in 1996. I used to buy Silver Age keys from a guy in London and popped in to see him and found this standing on his living room table, it didn't stay on his table for long ! ;)

As it transpired, this is the first ever comic book painting John Watson did.

spidey_goblin04_large.jpg

I was fortunate to pick up a few more pieces which can be found on my CAF: http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=13835

I got this page by Bart Sears my senior year of college (2000 I believe) off of ebay. It's a pretty modest piece featuring Crimson Fox from Justice League Europe and Bruce Wayne. I chose this mostly because I was a big fan of Bart Sear's work in the early to mid 1990s.

JLE-10-9-Sears.jpg

Malvin

As soon as I win the lottery my collection will quickly expand too ;)

Malvin

Bird is a lotto winner?

Malvin

Bird is a lotto winner?

lol, not that I know of...it is just the only way I will have big pieces

This is the piece that started all! In June 2006, Bill Sienkiewicz attended at a convention in Barcelona, Spain. Mitch (his former rep) displayed many of his originals at a gallery of art, which were also for sale. There were many great pieces, but this one drew my attention among the others.

sienkiewiczhand2cov.jpg

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=208905

Malvin

Bird is a lotto winner?

I wish!